R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hopefully I can break mines in before this weekend to have an answer.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #122
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seisick View Post
hey sam, between the jp first line black and the rr3, which one is lets say better for racing
The engines are very similar, so it will be a close match, it will all come down to the driver.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #123
Tech Adept

I will admit to knowing nothing about Max Power engines, but from other people I have heard problems with reliability. Though I think this experience has come from older model Max engines. I am interested in the XL9TQ, which to me looks to be mostly a Novarossi based engine. I have heard nothing but good things about Novarossi. Were the older Max engines based on a different brand? Just curious about the reliability of the new Max engines.
automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #124
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by automator View Post
I will admit to knowing nothing about Max Power engines, but from other people I have heard problems with reliability. Though I think this experience has come from older model Max engines. I am interested in the XL9TQ, which to me looks to be mostly a Novarossi based engine. I have heard nothing but good things about Novarossi. Were the older Max engines based on a different brand? Just curious about the reliability of the new Max engines.
the sl3 MF tuned were difficult to break in but the new xxl3's are very good quality with the same excellent piston and liner fit and finish, easier to break in and great power.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #125
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by automator View Post
Max, at that time, had the same reliability problems Novarossi had (breaking out of exhaust ports), but you don't hear this from people driving Novarossi engines, because they don't like to admit that there $$$$ engine isn't as reliable as they would like...
I drove the Max MF .21 Engine in 2004, they had this problem...., I then switched to Picco based, and I really laugh everytime I see people change a piston/liner/conrod in a Nova engine for the price you have a complete new Picco for!....
Novarossi also had conrod problems with the 359 plus engines, that's why they changed back to the 35+21 concept with there Flash engines for this year....
Old 04-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #126
Tech Regular

well you are right about the novas having sleeve problems..... one engine blowing 2 sleeves. i always thought myself that the 21 novas were reliable but i guese that i was wrong..
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #127
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
I drove the Max MF .21 Engine in 2004, they had this problem...., I then switched to Picco based, and I really laugh everytime I see people change a piston/liner/conrod in a Nova engine for the price you have a complete new Picco for!....
Wasn't that the same time that (the 1st) Mega and Picco had many problems with loose crankpins, broken rods and fast worn out P/S sets ?
The price is one thing, reliabillity is another. In my opinion reliabillity may cost some money because I want to finish a race and with the Mega's/Picco's from that time that was even a question.....

All manufacturers have their ups and downs. Picco seems to go very good at this moment although I am not known with the lifespan (which is also important calculating the total costs) but tomorrow the pistons can fly around your head.
Novarossi seemed to have learned of their 4.7mm crankpin, to much forces were centered in the middle what caused splitted rods and faster worn out rods, I am happy to see the Flash is having the 5mm crankpin again and NR did lower the prices on many models. If I have to choose between a 380 euro Picco EVO3, a 420 euro 35-plus-21 or a 520 euro Flash my choice still would be one of the 2 Novarossi models where I think the 35+ is still the best buy.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #128
Tech Adept

Comparing prices, the XL9TQ I think qualifies as a Tuned version. So compared to a Tuned Flash, the Max engine I've seen as low as 460 Euro, which seems to be a steal for this caliber engine.
automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #129
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
although I am not known with the lifespan
I have a DSII 20 liters old, 3rd conrod in, 2nd set of bearings, but still going strong... I think the lifespan is good enough...

Quote:
If I have to choose between a 380 euro Picco EVO3, a 420 euro 35-plus-21 or a 520 euro Flash my choice still would be one of the 2 Novarossi models where I think the 35+ is still the best buy.
380,- ?...
300, thats the price, and around 380 for the Edo modified, but then also look at a conrod and piston/liner price....
And if I look at the Mega DSIII
280,- standard
360,- Edo
400,- Edo power pack, so, with exhaust system....

but ok, You love NR engines, no problem...

Last edited by M7H; 04-17-2009 at 03:44 PM.
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default Max RR3 and Max 2649

Ran the new Max RR3 .12 with the 2649 pipe today....Very good combination..smooth power all the way to the top...Good fuel ecconomy, ran 5m15s while blowing a large amount of smoke the whole time. Can't wait to lean it out a little more when it gets fully broke in.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #131
Tech Champion

what are the differences of the rr3 to the xxl3?

is the RR3 MF tuned also?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
what are the differences of the rr3 to the xxl3?

is the RR3 MF tuned also?
Anything that comes from Max is "tuned" to a point. The RR3 is a very good engine, lots of bottom end power and very linear power band. The engine ran in very easy, ran a little less than 1/2 gallon during run-in.

As for the engine itself: The piston is a flat top which I like better, the timing on the crank, is "cast" being advanced and you can see this when you look at it, and it is a 11.5mm crank. The timing on the sleeve has been worked on as the exhaust port has been raised, getting the high RPM's. Something about the Max engines, they like to REV... don't over gear the engine! The carb doesn't have the plastic insert in it like the other engines that have the 5.4 venturi, but I found no performance difference between the two, Lap times were within .1 seconds from 1 qualifier to the next. Temps on the engine were in the 210-220 range and blowin smoke the whole time. What I did notice is how smooth the engine ran, and it was easy to tune. More so was the fact of the price for an engine that is as fast as it is. This is a GREAT BUY! I'm going to be getting another one of these in the very near future.

Last edited by rcfoolz; 04-19-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added crank info
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #133
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
Anything that comes from Max is "tuned" to a point. The RR3 is a very good engine, lots of bottom end power and very linear power band. The engine ran in very easy, ran a little less than 1/2 gallon during run-in.

As for the engine itself: The piston is a flat top which I like better, the timing on the crank, is "cast" being advanced and you can see this when you look at it, and it is a 11.5mm crank. The timing on the sleeve has been worked on as the exhaust port has been raised, getting the high RPM's. Something about the Max engines, they like to REV... don't over gear the engine! The carb doesn't have the plastic insert in it like the other engines that have the 5.4 venturi, but I found no performance difference between the two, Lap times were within .1 seconds from 1 qualifier to the next. Temps on the engine were in the 210-220 range and blowin smoke the whole time. What I did notice is how smooth the engine ran, and it was easy to tune. More so was the fact of the price for an engine that is as fast as it is. This is a GREAT BUY! I'm going to be getting another one of these in the very near future.

ok so it's the cheaper "introduction to the world of MAX" type engine. Similar to OS's TZ and JP's more affordable line of engines. Sounds like a decent engine.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

got my XL9 TQ coming from kamakazi hobbies, should be here real soon...i've heard NOTHING but good things on these motors!! The only thing that sux is watching the clock go<tick-tock> lol
Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #135
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha
Thumbs up

Am not sure how it differs from the max racer .12 the RR3 but I can tell you the max racer .12 is not an engine to be taken for granted, the end of season race here was being lead by the max racer .12 engine till the very last second, and mind you the driver was shifted to the last position on the starting grid for having requested a 10 minute request prior to the final starting grid call.

Just bare in mind that the car that took the end of season race here was a M353R Murnan modified engine and a good driver.

For the price and performance I have to see something come close to it, and it has already over 4 gallons. Temps were in the 280's.

Driver had a role in the result for sure but if it is was not a bad judgement from the driver running the max racer .12 he would have taken the season race without a doubt.

Then again winning is winning regardless of what happens.

I have driven both engines I am running the XXL3 and driven the MAX Racer RR3 if you will, the XXL is insanely fast and it just pulls.

The max racer is more docile and easier to drive if your running on technical tracks and low traction is does really help the power band is very smooth and the response is easy to deal with the, XXL3 needs some to get used to dial in some expo on the throttle trigger to take out the insane surge of power.