Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
decreasing running tempreture >

decreasing running tempreture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

decreasing running tempreture

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default decreasing running tempreture

Hi guys wondering if anyone can help me on one topic.

my engine would run really well lots of power but problem is the tempreture was running at 280 F.

now my idea is to gear my car taller hoping that it wont reach peak RPM but still have the crisp launch and top end, and was wondering if this will lower my temps?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Regional Moderator

You can add 0.05-0.1 mm head shim or use lower nitro content of fuel.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You can do what Daniz said.

If you do what you said, the engine will over heat even more. Putting taller gears makes the engine work harder to move the car, and the harder it has to work the hotter it will get.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Tech Master

thanks guys

i will do daniz24's idea and add a 0.05mm head shim as the nitro content im using is 16% any lower it would be pointless

and cheers for the tip on gearing nitrodude
Old 08-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

you weren't far wrong though BT, if you lower the rpm you lower the friction between the piston and sleeve, bit like rubbing 2 sticks together to make fire lol the faster you rub the hotter it gets. I think what nitro dude meant is if you gear the car to hi it will put excess load on the clutch assembly and over heat and in turn raise the temperature of the engine.
I wouldn't bother with different gear ratios, just use the one that suits your track. just shim it as daniz24 said and run it a bit richer on the top end. also make sure the body is cut to give good air circulation for the engine to keep cool.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hesky
you weren't far wrong though BT, if you lower the rpm you lower the friction between the piston and sleeve, bit like rubbing 2 sticks together to make fire lol the faster you rub the hotter it gets. I think what nitro dude meant is if you gear the car to hi it will put excess load on the clutch assembly and over heat and in turn raise the temperature of the engine.
I wouldn't bother with different gear ratios, just use the one that suits your track. just shim it as daniz24 said and run it a bit richer on the top end. also make sure the body is cut to give good air circulation for the engine to keep cool.
thanks Hesky yea i believe i have the right gearing for my track as its a small to medium size track, 2 netball courts.

if i richen my top end just 1/8th of a turn it goes back to being a bit rich. and problem with these stock kit motors (vones 3) if its slightly rich it wont kick into 2nd gear nicely. and the difference between slightly rich and perfectly tuned engine is about 1/8th of a turn on the top end screw.

Also engine is only about 1 litre old so still brand new. maybe i might need to keep running it in.

will update how i go

thanks once again guys cheers
Old 08-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

if you have a spare bit of cash go onto the microlon website and get a tub of microlon, soak all the metalic parts in it for a few days, put it together and watch in wonder as your motor does not pass 140 degrees celcius!

id recommend getting the 16oz bottle and going halves with someone.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
if you have a spare bit of cash go onto the microlon website and get a tub of microlon, soak all the metalic parts in it for a few days, put it together and watch in wonder as your motor does not pass 140 degrees celcius!

id recommend getting the 16oz bottle and going halves with someone.

Hello VenomWorldOrder, did you mean 140 degrees celcius, because that's like 280 degrees fareinheit, thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

thanks Tom yea i was thinking about that! ill try the shim idea first and try lowering my body even more so that the head gets a even more amount of air flow
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

thats it, do the easy things 1st!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Hesky, The higher RPM creates more heat due to the greater freaquency of combustion cycles NOT more friction! If you have friction between your piston and liner, your engine is about to seize. The piston should be seperated from the liner by a layer of oil. Some friction is present due to oil shear, but if there is actual contact between the piston and sleave, you have serious problems. As previously mentioned, too much load will also increase operating temp. As suggested, gear for track & try other routes to bring temp down. Increasing nitro can also bring temps down. This results from greater power outputs at richer settings.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daniz24
You can add 0.05-0.1 mm head shim or use lower nitro content of fuel.
a lower nitro content will actually make the motor run hotter
Old 08-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by duneland
Hesky, The higher RPM creates more heat due to the greater freaquency of combustion cycles NOT more friction!
sorry, overlooked the most obvious.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrainTeased
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help me on one topic.

my engine would run really well lots of power but problem is the tempreture was running at 280 F.

now my idea is to gear my car taller hoping that it wont reach peak RPM but still have the crisp launch and top end, and was wondering if this will lower my temps?
Here are some stuff to lower running temperature that I use:

-Richen the top-end needle
-Richen the low-end needle [remember to lean the idle-needle atleast 1:6 of what you richen the low-end]
-Use more head shims
-Try other temperature guns.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you havent done so already, take the side windows out of the body shell....this is usually worth around 10deg f in cooling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.