R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   need new 12 engine (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/811058-need-new-12-engine.html)

JOE SI 05-03-2014 06:20 AM

need new 12 engine

I'm now going on my 3rd season racing nitro sedan and have ran mainly Novarossi engines. Right now I'm running a keep on and I am very happy with it. Last season I ran the mUrnan rbm3 and loved that motor also.
Now, the keep on is a long stroke motor and the rb is not, can someone explain the difference?
I like the feel of the short stroke better, but used a friends reds motor and really like how smooth the powerband was and that the power was there when it was needed.
Im kind of torn between the Reds and the newest OS motor.
If you were to buy a motor today what would you buy? Why?
Thank you

dan_vector 05-03-2014 01:43 PM

Novarossi virtus. It's the quickest out there at the moment. I've just moved from a keep on to a virtus and it's definitely quicker plus slightly better fuel mileage as well. I'm gonna try a murnan modded virtus soon. That thing will be incredible.

godzukihop 05-03-2014 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JOE SI (Post 13233532)
I'm now going on my 3rd season racing nitro sedan and have ran mainly Novarossi engines. Right now I'm running a keep on and I am very happy with it. Last season I ran the mUrnan rbm3 and loved that motor also.
Now, the keep on is a long stroke motor and the rb is not, can someone explain the difference?
I like the feel of the short stroke better, but used a friends reds motor and really like how smooth the powerband was and that the power was there when it was needed.
Im kind of torn between the Reds and the newest OS motor.
If you were to buy a motor today what would you buy? Why?
Thank you

http://www.murnanmodified.com/produc...roducts_id=898

HHH 05-03-2014 02:58 PM

1. Are you sure the RBM3 is not long stroke? I do not know, just curious where you got this info from. I recall reading it was long stroke.

2. Not to bash nova (I am a fan and for the past two years only have novas and nova based engines in my trolley), I know a guy who got the Virtus red dot and was quite disappointed vs the keepon and ORCAN GT3C.

3. I like the ORCAN gt3C best and the RS3 so far. Both are nova based but they require a very high level of maintenance (conrod) due to being close to the power and internal stress limits.

4. On any given day my favorite is a murnan 353C that is smooth and indestructible. Often, given thr mm353c's non-super explosive power I will run quicker laps with it.

JOE SI 05-03-2014 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by HHH (Post 13234334)
1. Are you sure the RBM3 is not long stroke? I do not know, just curious where you got this info from. I recall reading it was long stroke.

2. Not to bash nova (I am a fan and for the past two years only have novas and nova based engines in my trolley), I know a guy who got the Virtus red dot and was quite disappointed vs the keepon and ORCAN GT3C.

3. I like the ORCAN gt3C best and the RS3 so far. Both are nova based but they require a very high level of maintenance (conrod) due to being close to the power and internal stress limits.

4. On any given day my favorite is a murnan 353C that is smooth and indestructible. Often, given thr mm353c's non-super explosive power I will run quicker laps with it.

I dont know if its long stroke or not.

JOE SI 05-03-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 13234222)
Novarossi virtus. It's the quickest out there at the moment. I've just moved from a keep on to a virtus and it's definitely quicker plus slightly better fuel mileage as well. I'm gonna try a murnan modded virtus soon. That thing will be incredible.

I would like to go for the virtus, but really hate paying for those rear bearings

chaos2984 05-03-2014 06:20 PM

depends on what kind of track your going to race on. If your going to be racing on a high speed track or one with a long straight where you can get high speed. I would suggest a NOVA they have so much power and a lot at top end.

Grinder 05-04-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by JOE SI (Post 13234591)
I dont know if its long stroke or not.

The RBM3 is a long stroke. ;)

dan_vector 07-31-2014 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by JOE SI (Post 13234597)
I would like to go for the virtus, but really hate paying for those rear bearings

I've never had a rear nova ceramic fail or needing to be changed. It outlasts the rest of the engine! So long as you run good fuel it's not an issue.

JOE SI 08-02-2014 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 13436005)
I've never had a rear nova ceramic fail or needing to be changed. It outlasts the rest of the engine! So long as you run good fuel it's not an issue.

So far I haven't had problems either, but have been told they fail prematurely. I have had different experiences with the keep on, it always performs the way I want and the bearing is fine. Any ceramic bearing will go if overheated, and I'm still learning that fine line between perfectly tuned and too hot. I have 2 keep on motors and for as long as I can get my hands on them, I will be running them.
I do want to try the virtus 12 eventually, just have no reason to replace what I have for now.

dan_vector 08-02-2014 12:48 PM

Bearings usually go due to bad fuel. Use good fuel and tune well and the bearings will last a very long time. I don't bother with a front ceramic and stay with the steels and change them out more frequently if I start getting unstable idles etc but even then it isn't very often.

dan_vector 08-02-2014 12:53 PM

I've just finished running in a new OS XZ-12 SPEC 3 engine. I couldn't believe how quickly it ran in and became stable compared to my usual novarossi's. I only got it as a backup backup engine as the price was right. It is incredibly powerful and linear in its power delivery. Sounds good too :nod: for the price I think it is a brilliant engine. I still prefer my nova virtus though which is more powerful overall once they finally run in!

brothainchrist0 12-03-2014 10:12 AM

Hey guys, i'm going to kind of keep this thread going by posing another question. I need a .12 motor for my sedan that has a lot of low end. We have one straight that is maybe 25 yards long with only enough room to have about 10 yards of actual full throttle. Any suggested engines for a lot of lower end? What do you guys think of RB engines? I have one of those on my 8th scale 4wd cars and it rips!

dan_vector 12-03-2014 11:24 AM

The nova virtus has stacks of low end torque. Probably the most of all the engines I've ran over the years. I recently tried the new PICCO .12 WC in Thailand and that was on par with the virtus low down. It had more top end than the virtus however. It may be my engine of choice for 2015.

brothainchrist0 12-03-2014 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 13696384)
The nova virtus has stacks of low end torque. Probably the most of all the engines I've ran over the years. I recently tried the new PICCO .12 WC in Thailand and that was on par with the virtus low down. It had more top end than the virtus however. It may be my engine of choice for 2015.

Thank you Dan! I have decided that the Picco motor will be my engine of choice for 2015 as well. Now I just gotta come up with the money :) thank you!