R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
I find flushing the bearings of castor residue is the primary task. I use brake cleaner to do it. Also polish the outside of liner only below the ports, I polish the button and the top of piston being very careful not to go too close to edges. I use alu mag polish then hand lube with two drops on bearings using an antioxidant gear oil that I've tested not to react with fuel. Also carefully clean the bearing seat on crank to ensure everything assembles snug and tight
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
I clean and inspect my engines But i have never seen carbon build up like some people see. I run oddonnell fuel and I've run gallons threw my motors and I've never seen actually carbon build up. I get just some discoloration of the piston after a lot of fuel has been run threw the engine.

What do you guys mainly use to polish the engine components. Just a type of cleaner wax or aluminum polish
To polish I use a tube of popular Aluminium mag wheel polish. I use my little finger for the top of the piston and fold up a rag and shape it for the button Then I flush away any residual abrasive from the polish with the solvent and then spread the oil thinly over all parts.

Methanol to clean down or brake cleaner to get into the bearings etc. Some use kerosene but all solvents should be used sparingly on cranks where the silicon ramping is used. Don't use petrol, I've been told it will swell the silicon.

I also take a little extra time with a toothbrush to clean out the heatsink fins on the outer of the block and head heatsink. The more mass there is the poorer the heat dissipation. I know it sounds over the top and it's not something everyone needs to do, I enjoy it. All said and done, cleaning the castor residues from your bearings I think, is important so by the time I've removed clutches, pistons, sleeves and crank, might as well do it all.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
I clean and inspect my engines But i have never seen carbon build up like some people see. I run oddonnell fuel and I've run gallons threw my motors and I've never seen actually carbon build up. I get just some discoloration of the piston after a lot of fuel has been run threw the engine.

What do you guys mainly use to polish the engine components. Just a type of cleaner wax or aluminum polish
Yes oils aren't oils as they say. If your fuel is full synthetic blend you might not get the same carbon buildup and someone who runs either a Castor/Synthetic blend or a full blend of Castor.
RB_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:58 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well this has helped me and my brother gain some better engine reliability. Shame about the noob in the pits and everything he gets wrong!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Well this has helped me and my brother gain some better engine reliability. Shame about the noob in the pits and everything he gets wrong!
LOL - get a new person!
RB_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chaos2984

Yea i ran my first race of the year and i tore my enigne down and inspected and cleaned everything. Everything looks good. I have very minimual play in the conrod. Ill just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse ill replace it. ill have to try to polish the button. I use my 2 stroke airplane fuel oil to lube my enigne. Its Klotz oil. Works great. Trans fuild should work fine most of it is full syn unless your buying the $1 a quart junk from autozone. It will work but its going to burn since the lube in there is not synethic. Ive always liked syn fluid since its very resistance to burning.

garage xray m18(2) 416x nitro rs4 nitro rs4 3 evo traxxas slash hpi savage Xray NT1 MTX4R Tamiya 416x a few nice planes in my hangar.
chaos2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

For me, engine NEVER have to run dry, in this way all the oil contained in your mix will be burned and your engine will run completly dry for few seonds.

To clean my engine after i have used, i pop of the back, i spray 2-3 times with wurth brake cleaner ( it's important to use a spray that do not contains chlorine because it can melt the motorsil in the crankshaft), i wait some time untill the spray is evaporate and then i apply some vaseline oil. I completly disassemble my engine only when i know i would not use it for looooong time and/or when i have to check its usure, and i clean it the same way written above.

Mugen Mrx5 wc- Os Engine - Matrix Tyres- MLC Fuel- Protoform
pasqua2291 is offline   Reply With Quote