R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Rick said is around $250 to $300. For this price range, I believe this engine gonna to complete with the OS not the Novarossi based engine. My guess...
Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude
To me itís just a lot of hype. It has a few good ideas, but they donít necessarily mean more power, or more efficiency.

NIcolas, you seem to post good things about Orion on all the treads that concern their product.
Can you elaborate? why should it be a lot of hype? because it's different than anything out there? the same was probably said when jet engines came out 60 years ago
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:01 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycer
Rick said is around $250 to $300. For this price range, I believe this engine gonna to complete with the OS not the Novarossi based engine. My guess...
Raycer, magazine reviews and track testing will prove you wrong, I'm sure
Old 11-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wood wait for track racing to make final coments.
BTW, will it be EFRA version of this engines? I think EFRA rulls state that center hole on cranck must be 7 mm diamertrom, unbriken circle edge with chamfer no more then .3 mm. How it can be fit to EFRA ruls? If even hole 6.9 mm it will come out to web in eleptical shape way out of 7 mm rull. I guess for EFRA they will make crancks with hole way smaller then 7 mm-it will hirt.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Raycer, magazine reviews and track testing will prove you wrong, I'm sure
Nano, don't get me wrong. I'm really want to see this new engine can complete with those Italian made engines.
But for all I heard is the technology still hold by Italian. The secret is how to made engine within a such small tolerance. In the other words, how to make a highly precious engine. It seems like Japanese is the other hopes. For all other creative engine ideas is just second if they can't solve the highly precious technology.

Why OS engine is very easy to tune but not fast? Sorry, that's my question and I don't know the answer. Hope someone can explain it...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can have all the pretty, and smooth cuts you want, but if port timing, port duration and port angles arent right, it doesnt mean anything.

About the cuts in the bottom of the sleeve, those will warp with the heating and cooling of the engine. And the crank channel, it doesnt work the way it shows in the video. The fuel gets to the case by negative pressure.

Some people seem to be pretty defensive about other's opinion. Those who know a little bit more about how these engines work will see right tru the maketing hype.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Edward, the engine has been designed by testing every single part on the track. The designer has the luxury to have his own private indoor track, so nothing can refrain him from testing (till 1am ). The engine has been running for 1 year+, no rushed out product here. The engine is compliant with the EFRA rulebook, the chamfer 0.5mm limit is for the backend of the crankshaft and the 7mm is measured as a diameter, it means that you should not be able to stick a shaft larger than 7mm through the opening. This engine does not require a 7mm shaft to get good power anyway because of it's angled pump action.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Raycer, as far as I know Swiss have a better reputation at being precise than italians The technology inside this motor is far beyond what the italians have at this time.
OS engines are always made on the safe side, they rather have an easy to tune good running and reliable engine than an engine with the ultimate power and the need to be a setup expert to tune it...
Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Nitrodude, the cuts have been used since the beginning of the development and they do warp but in a good way, they open up to free up the movement of the piston when the engine heats up instead of wrapping around it. Less friction = less heat, more efficiency and more power.
One must understand that the lower part of the cylinder creates a lot of friction because it has less dilatation than the top, the bottom of the cylinder is constantly cooled by the fresh fuel mixture. Therefore it does not expand as much as the piston creating some form of binding. The slots prevent this.

No worries, the port timing is right.

The slots in the crankshaft recuparate fresh fuel mixture which is blocked under the carb because the cranckshaft has closed the intake by spinning. This creates a pressure which pushes the mixture in the slots. The slots discharge the mixture in the side canal because of pressure and centrifugal force. This system idea is based on intake systems that have/are been used in 2 stroke motorcycle engines. All this make so that fresh mixture is already in the lower crankcase instead of being stuck under the carb
Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #25
Tech Elite

We all know that in the end, what matters most is on-track performance and user friendliness. This engine has been in development over the course of the past year, tested by experience pro racers (for on-track performance) and nitro engine novices (for user-friendliness).

You will not find an easier to tune engine. And you will see in dyno tests, and with on-track experience, the Wasp REV will exceed all expectations.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Raycer, as far as I know Swiss have a better reputation at being precise than italians The technology inside this motor is far beyond what the italians have at this time.
Nano, thanks for letting us know the story behind OS. I hope Rick will not take into consideration about the safty issue of their new engine and will make it as CRAZY as possible ....

For your first statement and I believe we all know you are talking about watches not micro size engines. For your second statement, I hope it will come ture.

Don't you know that the techonlogy secret to make a precise micro size engine is up to the National Level in Italy, not only an industrial level matter.

Anyway, it is a very positive for Orion to provide an alternative engine choice for racers. Can't wait to see the magazine reviews and track testing..
Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #27
Tech Elite

DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.

Last edited by EdwardN; 11-16-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #29
Tech Adept

EdwardN, it seems that your Palmaris thread is becoming the Wasp 2 thread
About the crankshaft air blowing video, it's a bit short and not so good cut at the end, no trick intended...
One main aspect of the Wasp Rev is the Nikasil treated cylinder, the design uses the oil which deposits itself on the cylinder walls (because the Nikasil is porous) to bring airtightness.
Again this stuff has been running for a year, not only on a drawing board...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycer
Typical Nova Rossi based engines ARE around $230 to $300 range (LL or RR series)....OS TZ series are $190-210 range.
Of course, if you are talking about JP full options, Nova MAX.......those are different animals.
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote