R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Newbie crankshaft question.

I wanted to get a taste of nitro (I've only ever had electric) since it is a big class at my local track (SpeedWorld). I bought an NTC3 on here and never got the engine to run more than a few seconds (it seemed to be brand new). I just bought a used engine on eBay, but it has the flywheel and clutch nut from a XXXNT. Both engines are .12.
Can I use the crankshaft from the AE engine in the Picco I bought so the clutch bell and gears fit properly?

I just wanted to try and not spend $1000 to see if I like nitro. So far, going the way I have gone, it has been a PITA. Thanks, in advance, for any insight you may have.
PirateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hi, I very much doubt it will fit. Whats the engine doing that you are having trouble with? Try to explain what it is doing and what you are doing with the engine and we will try to give you some pointers. The flywheel/clutch from the existing engine should fit the picco unless the crankshaft output is different i.e. short or SG type crank. Let us know the details and pics and we will see what we can do!
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the response. It looks like the NTC3 has the SG crankshaft and the Picco engine has a different type. So, is it possible to get an SG crankshaft that fits in the Picco?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought the ntc3s ran threaded cranks too hmm. Um, see if you cant find a parts explosion/ manifest to see if threaded cranks can be run. Should be something similar to how the xxxnt was setup
EDIT: threaded shaft is the other variant vs the sg you saw come out of the tc3

Last edited by Giant655; 02-05-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: extra info
Giant655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateRN View Post
Thanks for the response. It looks like the NTC3 has the SG crankshaft and the Picco engine has a different type. So, is it possible to get an SG crankshaft that fits in the Picco?
Its not very usual that you can just change a crankshaft in an engine between two different types. The threaded short cranks are usually what is on RTR's with non-centax type clutches. I believe you'll need to get an engine with an SG crank to be properly compatible.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys.
I was afraid of that. Well, guess that engine is going back on ebay.
At least now I know what I need to look for next time. I'm saving to buy a 2014 NT1 and new engine, but want something to practice with. I've always been an electric guy, nitro seems so foreign, lol.
Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Help is on hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateRN View Post
I wanted to get a taste of nitro (I've only ever had electric) since it is a big class at my local track (SpeedWorld). I bought an NTC3 on here and never got the engine to run more than a few seconds (it seemed to be brand new). I just bought a used engine on eBay, but it has the flywheel and clutch nut from a XXXNT. Both engines are .12.
Can I use the crankshaft from the AE engine in the Picco I bought so the clutch bell and gears fit properly?

I just wanted to try and not spend $1000 to see if I like nitro. So far, going the way I have gone, it has been a PITA. Thanks, in advance, for any insight you may have.
If your engine was brand new, then it might not be run it and too tight. If it's old then it might not have compression. Also check for the crank bearings, if they are flogged out then you are fighting an up hill battle and ruining the engine, if you havent done so already.

It's a shame there's no one around you that can help, but lets hope that it's just too tight. When you say it wont run more than a few seconds, do you mean that it wont IDLE, or flames out when when accelerating?

There are so many scenarios and factors that can resemble the situation you are in and if you don;t have support then you will be yet another statistic and casualty of the myths that Nitro is a PITA.

The pleasure we get from Nitro cars is the accomplishment of getting one to work and work well.

If you'd like, post a thread with images and more details regarding your problems in the rookie zone and I'm prepared to go into length over how to get you to enjoy a nitro car and feel the satisfaction that so few of us now hold dear to us.

While I love all models, both EP and IC, EP drivers have been bagging out nitro cars for years now and it's harming the hobby and it's due to lack of knowledge and support.

So before you go spending thousands of dollars on a new car, please ask for help before you become another casualty of a rough RC nitro experience.

One can get a completely flogged nitro engine to start, it's keeping it running that won't work. So while the engine may still be recoverable, ask for help, we all had to at one point!

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

I'm pretty stubborn, I won't give up without a fight, lol.
I found a clutch nut for threaded shafts for the NTC3 on Stormer Hobbies.
I may be able to use that engine after all.