Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nitro fuel expiry

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro fuel expiry

does nitro fuel expire? If it does, how lng is its shelf life?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by subZEARO
does nitro fuel expire? If it does, how lng is its shelf life?
I have had fuel on the self for over 8 years and it was still good. all depends how it was stored. should be keeped out of light and very hot and very cold.moisture is the killer of nitro and alky.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Can needs to be completely airtight. It'll last a while but fresh fuel is better as old fuel can cause oxidisation of engine components particularly bearings. Personally is only store new cans of fuel for any length of time. Used fuel or half cans I'd only keep for a few months before throwing out.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As long as the container is air tight it should keep for awhile. Have noticed some oils change colour as they get older. We always try to run fresh fuel either made on the day we run or the day before and this is one of the benefits of mixing it yourself.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry to interrupt but I'm keen on making my own fuel. Sick of the pre-made fuels causing to much internal rust issues. I know people have their own secret blends but if anyone knows a forum where fuel mixing is explained and where oils are best purchased. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Might have a chat with you bundybear next time at the track. Didn't realise you mixed your own...... .
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by volumex
Sorry to interrupt but I'm keen on making my own fuel. Sick of the pre-made fuels causing to much internal rust issues. I know people have their own secret blends but if anyone knows a forum where fuel mixing is explained and where oils are best purchased. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Might have a chat with you bundybear next time at the track. Didn't realise you mixed your own...... .
Good pre-mix fuels shouldn't cause oxidation of the engine if the correct after run procedures are applied. Nitromethane is a substance that will draw moisture from the air and if left inside the engine post run then it will cause oxidation of the components. That's why it is critical to let the engine run dry at idle and then use a good after run oil in it.

My procedure is to take the engine out of the car once home after a race. Remove the backplate and head (after cleaning the exterior of course) and wash the engine out with motor spray or break cleaner to remove all traces of the fuel. Once the spray has flashed off I will apply liberal amounts of after run oil (I use the 'Special' nova Rossi oil) work it into the bearing and around the crankshaft. Replace the rear cover and head and then seal the engine in a plastic bag.

Following the above procedure I have never had an engine corrode regardless of the fuel used. Furthermore my engines last a very long time!

Hope that helps as I believe that it's not the fuel brand and if it is pre-mix or home brew that is used but the after run procedure people use.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by volumex

Always a touchy subject, some people prefer to mix own fuel others don't and prefer pre-mixed.

http://www.rcfuelsupplies.com.au/ at Loganholme is a good start for Nitro and Methanol. Should be a bit of info on here and AusRC about different oils people use. I know Greg uses Klotz, but its always a bit of trial and error.

We had issues in the early stages of rust in the bearings due to a lack of engine maintenance on our part. We now run fuel out of engine, use ARO and then the next day pull it down and clean it out with Carby cleaner and then rebuild and re-oil.