R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default MAX ENGINES

I WAS GOING TO GET AN M SPEED BUT I JUST THINK I CANT GET IT DONE COST WISE. I SEE MAX .12 ARE LESSIN COST. ARE THEY SOLID AND WHATS MODIFED TO THEM. ALSO WHO CARRYS THEM IN THE STATES? OR WHERE CAN I ORDER ONE?
THANKS \
JON
ocdp182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
Tech Regular

ocdp182,

Max Power Engines are phenomenal. They are based on the Novarossi platform. Massimo Fantini does the tunning and modification to them.

As for what is modified...basically everything. Sleeve, Case, Crank, Exhaust (but it also depends on the model). There was a recent issue in Xtreme RC and they did a full dyno review on one of the the MAX .12 engines.

In the US you can go to www.rcamerica.com . Ralph Burch and RC America are the US distributors.

Keep in mind that MAX has done alot of development on the manifolds and exhaust. I recommend to get an exhaust kit system with the engine for maximum power.

Feel free to pm me with any questions. I am sure that the folks at RC America would also be happy to answer your questions also.

Cant go wrong with Max Power!

John
www.rcmaxpower.com
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the great reply
ocdp182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fsturbo15

They're awsome engines.
Fsturbo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 AM   #5
Tech Master

Default Max engine 5P

I always encounter this problem everytime I tune my Max engine.

When I tune the HSN, leaning until where the power is good, temperature around 120 degree C. LSN richern until where the engine stays nicely and acclerate cleanly from 5-7sec stand still.

I have this problem. After many lap pushing the engine, usually more then 5 laps, I experience the engine stall everytime at then end of the stright where the trottle is released. It sounds like the idealing drop lower then normal.

If I open abit on the ideling, it looks good but after many laps, the ideling stays high. Sound like carburator overheat...

If I futher lean the LSN, a couple of full trottle and release the engine sound bogging lean.
If I rich HSN, performance drops...
thamjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamjk View Post
I always encounter this problem everytime I tune my Max engine.

When I tune the HSN, leaning until where the power is good, temperature around 120 degree C. LSN richern until where the engine stays nicely and acclerate cleanly from 5-7sec stand still.

I have this problem. After many lap pushing the engine, usually more then 5 laps, I experience the engine stall everytime at then end of the stright where the trottle is released. It sounds like the idealing drop lower then normal.

If I open abit on the ideling, it looks good but after many laps, the ideling stays high. Sound like carburator overheat...

If I futher lean the LSN, a couple of full trottle and release the engine sound bogging lean.
If I rich HSN, performance drops...
richen top, lean bottom. it sounds like it is lean on the top. you will also have to re-adjust your idle accordingly. Fuel also plays a part. if you are using a backyard quality fuel in a modified engine...well....

only use top brand fuels. check to see what the QUICK, CONSISTENT and RELIABLE drivers are using fuel wise, and copy them. If you race in a car park style setting with beginners and intermediates only, you may have to do a bit of research and get yourself a good fuel if no one else at your track is good enough to guide yourself with.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
richen top, lean bottom. it sounds like it is lean on the top. you will also have to re-adjust your idle accordingly. Fuel also plays a part. if you are using a backyard quality fuel in a modified engine...well....

only use top brand fuels. check to see what the QUICK, CONSISTENT and RELIABLE drivers are using fuel wise, and copy them. If you race in a car park style setting with beginners and intermediates only, you may have to do a bit of research and get yourself a good fuel if no one else at your track is good enough to guide yourself with.

Sidewinder fuel, medium scale track, racing with intermediate and Advance racer. We change using tornado fuel its still the same.

And I see many driver from the past also experience this isues but I just wonder no body mention it on the forum. maybe we can discuss...

thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Tech Elite

to tune a max properly is hard just like other top end engines.
it takes experience, frustrating eh,your not alone.
i dont run those kind of engines anymore and i can go just as fast with what i run.
and there cheaper too.
but you will get it in time what plug are you running and your head clearance
what % fuel
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
to tune a max properly is hard just like other top end engines.
it takes experience, frustrating eh,your not alone.
i dont run those kind of engines anymore and i can go just as fast with what i run.
and there cheaper too.
but you will get it in time what plug are you running and your head clearance
what % fuel
25% nitro, 7plug,Standard 0.3 shims, head clearance from my measurement is 0.5mm, basically standard. The effect does no different on runing 0.4, 0.45 and 0.5mm shims.

I have been tuning Nova engine for many years, this issues doesn't seems to happen on Nova standard engine. I kind of like the MAX engine powerband. It give more power on the medium to top rev.

I tried another tuning, smaller crab opening by lowering the ideling screw but you need to lean the LSN to being up the idel. Lesser air with leaner tune does keep the engine idel nice but you need to richern the top to bring back the balance. Once the top is richern it does not much different then any of the NOVA standard engine.

Last edited by thamjk; 11-05-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

I am having the same issues with mine.. I was thinking it might not be fully broken in yet.. Mine has 3/4 gallon on it and still sticks. The funny thing about it is when you try to turn it over with your finger on the car, you can not even get it to the top because of compression. I am thinking of trying a hotter plug to see what happens. I also added another shim to the head. 30% Sidewinder for me.. Mine does not seem like it has very much top.
Mugen 5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen 5r View Post
I am having the same issues with mine.. I was thinking it might not be fully broken in yet.. Mine has 3/4 gallon on it and still sticks. The funny thing about it is when you try to turn it over with your finger on the car, you can not even get it to the top because of compression. I am thinking of trying a hotter plug to see what happens. I also added another shim to the head. 30% Sidewinder for me.. Mine does not seem like it has very much top.
It does need to have a bit stick when the piston is push to the top but I don't believe this problem is due to that. When you try puting this set of sleeve/piston into the nova engine believe me the problem disappear. If you get another set of sleeve/piston, microcasted piston, put it into the MAX you will find the problem is the same. Different set of sleeve/piston require slightly different tuning.

It doesn't matter if you cannot turn over using your finger because when the engine is warm-up, you won't have this issues. Thats why those pro-racer always recomend to tune engine after its fully warm-up

I used to run 7 plug with 0.3mm shim (standard). I am not sure for your case, you can always start with 7plug and compare that with 6plug. If you find that your 6plug has lesser pick scream then compare to your 7plug with same tuning and same pipe, you can conclude that your 6plug has slightly earlier firing. But if you find vice versa, then your setup is better with 6plug.

Add shims mean lowering compression, lower engine torque, lower engine temperature and of course lower output power. In order to get back the same power you need to lean more in an overall, which bring back the same but you gain more runtime in overall. Keep adding shim and keep leaning, you will lead to unsufficient fuel for compression, it cause too lean and engine hasitate to run.

if both nova and MAX tune for optimum power for high rev I find that the MAX has better mid to top torque. but if both runing rich they are not different.

Last edited by thamjk; 11-08-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

The reason I added the shim was for 30%. Also, it is hard to lean one that is already 260.. I think once it breaks in fully, I can lean it then.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
The reason I added the shim was for 30%. Also, it is hard to lean one that is already 260.. I think once it breaks in fully, I can lean it then.
what plug are you using
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

I am using a mc9 now.. I ran it this weekend with a 086 pipe, richened the bottom, 230 all night. Ran perfect after the extra shim & new pipe..
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
I am using a mc9 now.. I ran it this weekend with a 086 pipe, richened the bottom, 230 all night. Ran perfect after the extra shim & new pipe..
ok cool glade it worked out