R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nottingham,MD
Posts: 200
Default where are the maxpower offroad engines

where can i get maxpower buggy engines from rcamerica has none? any sites?
younghovaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic
 
Osiris 75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Converse, TX
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know who sells the Max Power XL3?
__________________
SPONSORS: AWESOMATIX USA / HOBBYWING USA / AVID CONCEPTS / R1 WURKS / POWERMASTER FUELS (VP RACING) / 2MM DESIGNS
RC TARGET/CAPRICORN USA / REFLEX RACING / ULTI TIRES

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #18
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
Does anyone know who sells the Max Power XL3?
word of warning on the SL3!!'s get youself 3 spare conrods for this engine!

i have a SL3 which has had 5 litres through it, and the conrod is already dead. i have busted 3 plugs and pitted the top of the piston and the headbutton. I use runnertime and did not change the tune from the last time i used it.

these engines are possibly the best .12 i have ever run, but they stay tight, (ie read locking up) even after 3 full race meets after break in.

change the conrod 1 litre after break in (ie, break it in, race for 1 litre then change).

i would also recommend changing the rod after another 5 litres, then again after another 5. you will find it is still locking up after 5 litres, and you may still need another rod change after 10 litres.

also to avoid pitting the head button or the piston by accidently running a loose conrod you might want to ad .10 worth of headshims to increase the head clearance.

great engines, but be prepared to change rods due to the engines very thight fit.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #19
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post

also to avoid pitting the head button or the piston by accidently running a loose conrod you might want to ad .10 worth of headshims to increase the head clearance.

great engines, but be prepared to change rods due to the engines very thight fit.
The rod are not any worse than other Nova based engine. They are the same rod!

As for pitting... head clearence has nothing to do with it. Unless your rod is stretch to a point it hit the head, then you have a lot more problem than pitting. Pitting is to do with running too lean. The hot combustion is what caused the pitting.

Engine has to be tune each day you run it. An agressive tune means you will need to retune it between days. Slight change in humidity, temperature...etc could push it cross the line to be too lean.
twoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #20
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoo View Post
The rod are not any worse than other Nova based engine. They are the same rod!

As for pitting... head clearence has nothing to do with it. Unless your rod is stretch to a point it hit the head, then you have a lot more problem than pitting. Pitting is to do with running too lean. The hot combustion is what caused the pitting.

Engine has to be tune each day you run it. An agressive tune means you will need to retune it between days. Slight change in humidity, temperature...etc could push it cross the line to be too lean.
yeah the rods are the same yes i know, but the piston sleeve on the max.12 is alot tighter. my conrod had alot fo play at TDC...i mean alot. so i'm thinking this caused issues with the tune, or something. even after richening it, it blew a plug. i ran a similar tune to last time, yet it was either way out, or something else was going on. Last time i ran the engine it was fine. I've never experienced such a large change in tune, over a 2 month period, this is why i assumed, and still think the rod has something to do with it.

i'll be changing the rod and button and richening it up heaps next time i run it., and see what happens.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoo View Post
The rod are not any worse than other Nova based engine. They are the same rod!

As for pitting... head clearence has nothing to do with it. Unless your rod is stretch to a point it hit the head, then you have a lot more problem than pitting. Pitting is to do with running too lean. The hot combustion is what caused the pitting.

Engine has to be tune each day you run it. An agressive tune means you will need to retune it between days. Slight change in humidity, temperature...etc could push it cross the line to be too lean.
Get your facts right.

Head clearance has EVERYTHING to do with pitting /detonation. If your clearance is too tight, compression will be to high and your fuel mixture will ignite too soon, i.e. before the piston reaches TDC. This is called detonation and causes the sandblasted look you are calling pitting.

It's also deadly for your conrod. A too hot plug will further increase the problem since it will tend to pre-ignition as well......
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 AM   #22
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Get your facts right.

Head clearance has EVERYTHING to do with pitting /detonation. If your clearance is too tight, compression will be to high and your fuel mixture will ignite too soon, i.e. before the piston reaches TDC. This is called detonation and causes the sandblasted look you are calling pitting.

It's also deadly for your conrod. A too hot plug will further increase the problem since it will tend to pre-ignition as well......
cheers Stefan. this is, i think, exactly what has happened. the max's come with ony 1 silver shim (thick type, i think it is .3mm) it probably needs another .10mm shim)

now i know....expensive way to learn though and it was my favourite engine. It's still pritty tight though.

if you are thinking of buying one of these engines don't hesitate, but place an extra .10mm or maybe even .2mm head shim clearance from the moment you start it up

the XL3 is also a different motor, it is a short stroke (rev type engine) the older SL3 was a torque, long stroke engine. Personally i think the longstrokes are better, easier to drive as it doesn't require revs to make power, so you can be smoother and a little slower on rolling on the throttle yet still be quick out of corners.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.:Go Engines vs. Jammin Engines:. lanerbrainer205 Nitro Off-Road 20 12-23-2007 04:46 PM
.12 Engines sale all new pipes too. 6 engines ericsp2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-06-2007 02:19 PM
os engines compared to rb engines rhymster Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 4 08-03-2007 05:13 PM
IDM engines and picco engines foampervert Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 5 11-23-2006 05:36 AM
SH engines crazyjr Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 7 01-20-2006 03:13 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net