R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #76
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebone View Post
I tried OS RP6, the power is back. Timing problem.
i use no.7 plug due to weather issue
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #77
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia View Post

as i know for small track we use hotter plug to gain more torque,maybe i'm wrong
Experience dictates that just by lowering the head (more compression) you gain more power especially in lower rpm range, idle quality can suffer, but the engine also runs cooler . Also, that a higher head (less compression) will increase top rpm speed on bigger tracks.

A decrease in head shims (an increase in compression ratio) will increase torque because as the compression ratio goes higher, the actual ignition timing occurs sooner. However there is a point of diminishing returns where detonation occurs or engine temps can soar, and if this happens a colder plug can help.

When you increase head shims (a decrease in compression), top end is enhanced as the ignition timing is retarded and occurs later. Generally a hotter plug is needed to advance the ignition cycle so that timing does not occur to late in the cycle, but at this point you end up over leaning the engine to get it to rev properly and the engine life will suffer dramatically.

On a .12 engine we would only advise going 0.10mm over or under 0.46mm, so that is 0.36mm or 0.56mm of total head clearance at sea level.
Generally on a .12 engine 0.10mm will change the compression ratio about 3/4 to 1 point..

We should also state that the comments with regards to plugs and head shimming are when both are used together.

Used alone (same chamber) a hotter plug will rev harder, giving more top end and a colder plug will make more torque.

Hope it is clear now

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #78
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm View Post
Experience dictates that just by lowering the head (more compression) you gain more power especially in lower rpm range, idle quality can suffer, but the engine also runs cooler . Also, that a higher head (less compression) will increase top rpm speed on bigger tracks.

A decrease in head shims (an increase in compression ratio) will increase torque because as the compression ratio goes higher, the actual ignition timing occurs sooner. However there is a point of diminishing returns where detonation occurs or engine temps can soar, and if this happens a colder plug can help.

When you increase head shims (a decrease in compression), top end is enhanced as the ignition timing is retarded and occurs later. Generally a hotter plug is needed to advance the ignition cycle so that timing does not occur to late in the cycle, but at this point you end up over leaning the engine to get it to rev properly and the engine life will suffer dramatically.

On a .12 engine we would only advise going 0.10mm over or under 0.46mm, so that is 0.36mm or 0.56mm of total head clearance at sea level.
Generally on a .12 engine 0.10mm will change the compression ratio about 3/4 to 1 point..

We should also state that the comments with regards to plugs and head shimming are when both are used together.

Used alone (same chamber) a hotter plug will rev harder, giving more top end and a colder plug will make more torque.

Hope it is clear now

AFM
Ok, so make it clear. Here is the trials that I was found:

1.) Original setting (sleeve shim, head shim, OS PR7, head clearance 0.53mm): no low end power and top end power, heavy smoke
2.) no sleeve shim, add 0.1mm head shim to maintain head clearance 0.53mm, OS PR7:Low and top end were back, visible smoke trail, engine getting hotter 110C
3.) Sleeve shim, head shim, OS PR6, head clearance 0.61mm): Low and top end were back, still heavy smoke, hotter 120C
4.) Any suggestion to maintain normal temperature around 105C, less smoke and good low / high end power?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #79
afm
Tech Master

Quote:

1.) Original setting (sleeve shim, head shim, OS PR7, head clearance 0.53mm): no low end power and top end power, heavy smoke
2.) no sleeve shim, add 0.1mm head shim to maintain head clearance 0.53mm, OS PR7:Low and top end were back, visible smoke trail, engine getting hotter 110C
3.) Sleeve shim, head shim, OS PR6, head clearance 0.61mm): Low and top end were back, still heavy smoke, hotter 120C
4.) Any suggestion to maintain normal temperature around 105C, less smoke and good low / high end power?
It is very difficult to suggest a récipe just by theory without beeing on the field. There are other factors to take into account with every change you are making
-carburation
-clutch setting
-pipe
-gear ratio
-gear box setting

Any way its a sesión of trying different things in an organized way, keeping record of changes, and by the way, don´t be obsessed on the temp issue....every engine has its ideal working temp. as long as it smokes good coming out of turns and power doesn´t deminish during the lenght of vthe heat.

regards

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #80
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
It is very difficult to suggest a récipe just by theory without beeing on the field. There are other factors to take into account with every change you are making
-carburation
-clutch setting
-pipe
-gear ratio
-gear box setting

Any way its a sesión of trying different things in an organized way, keeping record of changes, and by the way, don´t be obsessed on the temp issue....every engine has its ideal working temp. as long as it smokes good coming out of turns and power doesn´t deminish during the lenght of vthe heat.

regards

AFM
got it man!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
-carburation
-clutch setting
-pipe
-gear ratio
-gear box setting

regards

AFM
Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Contact Patrizio from XRD/Capricorn either through facebook or send him an email.
They are doing a lot of testing with the XRD engines, he can help you out.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #83
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Contact Patrizio from XRD/Capricorn either through facebook or send him an email.
Thx!

I realize that gear ratio and sleeve shim fool me around.
I believe the XRD engine developed base on Capricorn car.

Last edited by beebone; 04-12-2014 at 10:23 AM.
beebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The amount of smoke has a lot to do with the brand of fuel you're running. Some fuels smoke more than others...
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
The amount of smoke has a lot to do with the brand of fuel you're running. Some fuels smoke more than others...
fully syn will be less smoke and no residual
Old 06-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #86
Tech Adept

Quote:
0,5 underhead
Plug number 6
CapricornRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #87
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yes I did, they replied me once said what kind of pipe I used. It's original Hipex made pipe. Then I didn't receive any reponse. So I give up the engine cause the engine nut thread on the crank shaft were off, and no more compression.

Also I tried the .12 tune engine, it's nightmare. Fuel leak non stop from carb lock. It really a good engine, but the material quality.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #88
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi there,

I will be running this engine in a tropical climate with air temps averaging about 35 degrees celcius.

Can anyone let me know the average temps I should be running the .12 (hard tuned version) engines at?

thanks in advance

sam
sammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammies View Post
Hi there,

I will be running this engine in a tropical climate with air temps averaging about 35 degrees celcius.

Can anyone let me know the average temps I should be running the .12 (hard tuned version) engines at?

thanks in advance

sam
In Australia we run them max 85-90 degrees celcius
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapricornRC View Post
0,5 underhead
Plug number 6
is it necessary? I'm looking at the .21 5 port engine