Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Question about Nova Mega (not Mega) SX15 EVO4 3 ports MS >

Question about Nova Mega (not Mega) SX15 EVO4 3 ports MS

Question about Nova Mega (not Mega) SX15 EVO4 3 ports MS

Old 06-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Question about Nova Mega (not Mega) SX15 EVO4 3 ports MS

Just got a fairly new Nova Mega 15 engine (used by barely broken in) for my Impact 02, but I have one question for those who had experience on this engine, the engine is very new in condition, it is non turbo 3 ports, EVO4 MS version but with NO SHIM underneath the head button....not even a 0.1mm, it has none.

For those who still remember this engine, does this engine came WITHOUT any shim, like no shim required? I know my previous owned EVO 4 7 port Turbo engine does came with a silver 0.3mm head shim, however, this one, has NON....

I have tried Serpent website and Nova Mega site, but they did not listed there are shims or no shims for this specific model.........I can recall my evo4 7 ports does has a 0.3mm silver head shim. I have never deal with an engine required NO SHIM at all.....so I am kinda suspicious on this matters.

Not sure that is because this one is the EVO 4 non turbo version.......for those who can still dig out some old spec, please give me a hand....or for those who know engines well, just simple tell me I should add a 0.2mm or 0.3mm shim to start.

I am running 30% fuel. thanks everyone.....
Old 06-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

call www.ashfordhobby.com . ask for Robert. There are shims listed for the engine in the pdf. files. he'll hook you up with what you need.

I'd try checking head clearance first. You'd probably need 0.025"- 0.030" for 30%.

Use a piece of clay on the head button to check clearance. Put the clay on the bottom of the head button away from the combustion chamber (put it right on the edge of the button). Assemble the engine and turn it over ONCE. Take the engine apart and measure the thickness of the clay with calipers or micrometer. Look for the pressed in area where the piston hit the clay.

Just for reference my .21 has 0.026"- 0.028" clearance and my .12's have 0.022"- 0.024" (both on 30%). Post results on the clearance!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip, but I think that is way out of my knowledge to handle...
I have to blaim my bad eye, and should not work on the internal of engine at 3:00am............I did find out there is a hugh 0.3mm silver shim underneath the combustion chamber, it is just the color of the shim look so much like the surface of the button, and 3am does not help on my eye...

Thanks for the info............