Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
getting into onroad racing...new motor? >

getting into onroad racing...new motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting into onroad racing...new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default getting into onroad racing...new motor?

well, I have been racing monstertrucks for a while now and I am getting into onroad a little.
My dad has an rs4 3 rtr that he has had sitting in the box for like two years now so I think I'm gonna start with it and then once I see if I really like/have time for it, I'll upgrade. Right now I'm looking for upgrades that will easily carry over to another kit later on so I was thinking of upgrading the motor. I know nothing about onroad racing, but I'm pretty sure I need a .12 instead of the rtr .15 correct?

what options can you give me seeing as I am completely clueless about onroad racing and its rules.

thanks
pedro
Old 06-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

yes 12. and for the rs4 3 you need a standard shaft engine not pilot. also the easiest engine to get for it is a side exhaust engine w/pullstart. you can convert to rear exhuast but the engine would need a starter box. rear exhuast are generally more powerful. a decent and affordable rear exhuast engine is the hpi nitro star .12 standard shaft engine. you will also need the ofna compact starter box and the hpi nitro rs4 3 side exhaust header. the pipe if your choice
Old 06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Initiate

will that motor/starter box combo work with other cars as well?
like I said, I plun to upgrade to a better setup later so I'd like something that I can switch over to another car rather easily.

if the conversion to rear exhaust would make it easier to go with a differnt car later on, I am more than willing to do so.

thanks
pedro
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

yeah the conversion will, but it depends on your next car. The rs4 3 is very diffrent form most on road cars. you should be able to use the engine you buy for the rs4 3 on another car but that engine is not very competative with other rear exhaust engines which the rs4 3 cant accept. let me know what kit you have in mind next. if you dont know which one the kyosho v one rrr mugen mtx-3 hpi r40 and team magic g4 are some good ones to look into.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Initiate

after some inspection, I realized I made a mistake in my first post. the car isnt an rs4 3.
on the box which I just found, it just says rs4 rtr.
It is a little different than the rs4 3 i found pictures of, the motor is turned 90 degrees around so the clutch faces out the side instead of to the front like on the 3's. Does this change my motor selection any?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Jye
Tech Regular

Yes. Depending on your clutch, you may be able to buy an engine with a pilot shaft. If so that means you could find a very good engine to use for your current kit and a future kit. Also, your exhuast now will be a left side rear ehaust system. If you clutch/kit cannot accept a pilot shaft engine, then you will still need a standard shaft engine.