R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Motor compression question?

I have two motors that I race with. I run them pretty hard and they start as soon as they touch the box. I have replaced rods and generally take good care of them however when warm they turn over VERY easily. I have bought new motors primarily because despise race day failure. Is this normal? I was told that if a motor can support it own weight cold then compression is ok. Is this a valid test? I have replacement p/s but was wondering if I'm being prematurely cautious. Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Usually when compression goes, they get difficult to tune and don't hold an idle well.

As for feel, it varies. I have had motors that when cold, you could spin the flywheel with ease even with the plug in. It would run like crap for a few laps but once it warmed up it was a rocket. I also have a motor right now that has at least 4 gallons on it yet it is still so freaking tight that it locks up on the starter box, hot or cold. It's a major pain in the ass to get started but it goes like stink on the track.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Usually when compression goes, they get difficult to tune and don't hold an idle well.

As for feel, it varies. I have had motors that when cold, you could spin the flywheel with ease even with the plug in. It would run like crap for a few laps but once it warmed up it was a rocket. I also have a motor right now that has at least 4 gallons on it yet it is still so freaking tight that it locks up on the starter box, hot or cold. It's a major pain in the ass to get started but it goes like stink on the track.
Thanks.