Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
engine adjustment questions >

engine adjustment questions

engine adjustment questions

Old 05-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default engine adjustment questions

hello i have a rb v12 3-port turbo and have had some issues trying to bring it out from winter. the site says if i go higher than 16% (every 5%) i should add another .1mm shim. I thought i could get away with 20% nitro no modification but my car has been eating glow plugs a bit faster than i want them to. I am still using my hot turbo plugs from the winter and i understand that they aren't as strong as colder plugs and time the combustion cycle a bit sooner. However with the combined factors of increased nitro %, hotter plug, and not enough shims. Will this lead to glow plugs going bad so fast. If it is something to do with the compression can u give me places on the web where i can find head shims and some ways to take off flat head screws that mount the cooling head cause i bent a screw driver trying to. If it is the glow plug type then is there any way to balance out the use of the hotter plug? like the extra shim? I don't want to lower my nitro content cause i got like 3/4 of a gallon of some 3 month old full. Any other fixes or problems that may occur plz state.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi...i can't help u out on the nitro % /plug/compression thing...but get a heavy duty flat tip screw driver to unscrew your heat sink....
Old 05-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Tech Regular

if your fuel is 3 months old, it may be going bad. I think this may cause early plug failure.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:38 AM

I have a few RB engines. From what I've seen no shims should or have to be added unless you go above 25% fuel.
I would try colder plugs. Try a 6 or 7 cold
plug. My RB's on 30% like the 7 or 8 plugs with .1mm shim added.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

maybe i should test out the last two hot plugs i own again. the fuel doesn't seem to be bad at all. Jus another question if ur hobbyshop doesn't sell its fuel and it passes say about 8 months would they just toss the fuel? Sometimes ppl say that u could be buying 3 yr old fuel . If i had bad fuel would any other signs be noticible. Like the engine would die while u run it? Or something else
Old 05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

fuel on the shelf still has the seal. to protect your fuel be sure to squeeze most of the oxygen out before putting the seal back in.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

i didn't know that. But i think its a bit impossible for me its a 1 gallon tank and its pretty thick can't squeeze it. I still have the seal on mine so i think its ok. It is a red cup thing that goes before the cap and there is a washer in there too. Seems pretty secure to me. i am not willing to dump 3/4 gallons of fuel and pay 22$ for a new gallon. Still yet to test though so once i rebuild a few things i'll be ready.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

not too sure but was told that one of the symptoms of a 'dying engine' is that it kills plugs more often that it should. Would suggest you check the condition of your internals i.e. compression on the sleeve, conrod, crank pin, bearings etc..
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

engine hasn't even had a gallon through it yet don't expect to have any problems with internals. Compression is still the same as when i got it....good
Old 05-25-2005, 12:16 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Well, it might be a wise idea to replace the conrod every gallon, and certainly after breaking in the engine....
Old 05-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Greenbox
engine hasn't even had a gallon through it yet don't expect to have any problems with internals. Compression is still the same as when i got it....good
well, its not about how much fuel you have run in the engine. it's how you have run it.

no harm checking my friend.

check on compression, conrod, crank pin, etc
Old 05-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

i doubt it but ok i guess if i run into any problems when i test run it i will open her up. It has been broken by someone experinced with the heat cycle method and after that it had lets see about 4 tanks of fuel through it either driving around my drive-way or idling. Did not run it hard yet. While i was running it 3 plugs i had owned went bad fairly quickly. One was a hot and others were one plug colder so warm? i guess? I was running it a bit rich and thats why i think my engine was cutting out. I thought it was too much compression at first but there may be other factors. BTW the glowplugs are only burnt out at the very tip of the plug. The majority of the coil still lights up. Also since it was cutting out/engine died i thought it was the damaged plug causing it. I plopped the glow igniter on and ran it around with it. Still managed to cut out but not neary as often without it. Without it would cut out randomly. But with it, it ran much longer with out cutting out. I don't know what i was thinking but i shoulda tuned the engine first to see the result. If they is a reason when u richen the mixture up and the enigine runs longer without cutting out with the glow ignitor on pls state. I was too busy setting up my car i forgot thje issues i had with my engine till now