R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by joemugen
so when you race the filter in the second weekend, what maintenance do you perform on in?
Nothing.....the most, I might add a tad of filter oil around the filter, thats it.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

rookie you have a valid point and i'm not here to argue with you the extra insurance and peace of mind you get from putting on a brand new filter is worth it for you and many others.

Myself I'm perfectly happy to run washed filter foam, I've been doing this for several years now with no ill effects I've never had a motor last me less then 8 gallons when broken in properly and kept within resonable temps. yes the performance did degrade over time but thats just the nature of these engines.

I've seen the guys at the track that true a set of tires for each and every qualifier. although I can see the reasoning behind doing this I personally wouldn't, just can't see throwing money away for a fraction of a second gain. I've seen and heard all sorts of things that are supposed to make you faster, make things last longer etc etc bottom line they all cost you money allthough some of them are well worth it a good number of them are just marketing hype.

As for the corn oil in the shocks I do know of someone who actually did just that, worked so-so. he actually switched to no kidding mineral oil and his car was dialed odd you bet your bippy it was odd but hey it worked for him. by the way he was 14-15 at the time and was severly strapped for cash as paper routes aren't as lucrative as they used to be.

But back to topic me personally I clean and re-oil others simply buy new ones after a set amount of runs. It comes down to what you and your wallet are comfertable with. if you want to race competativly then by all means replace your filters if your just bashing around I'd just wash and reuse. again do what your comfertable with.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
Tech Regular

what I would do is make sure to bring maybe 2-3 separate complete air filter assemblies to the track. once a filter gets dirty, replace with the backup. repeat as necessary.
at the end of the day, when you're back home, you can clean the foam filters out and prepare for the next session.

there really isnt much problem to this.
what i like to do is clear the initial crap out of the foam with soap and water, then blast it with WD40, and repeat the soap + water. allow it to dry, and apply a decent amount of filter oil (i like to use associated as the blue makes it easy to find spots you missed)
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by tranced
what I would do is make sure to bring maybe 2-3 separate complete air filter assemblies to the track. once a filter gets dirty, replace with the backup. repeat as necessary.
at the end of the day, when you're back home, you can clean the foam filters out and prepare for the next session.
That's exactly what I do.
I run dirt oval & occasionaly the track gets dried out & can trash a filter pretty quick, so I swap them out every race, that also makes the airflow the same from one heat to the next so it doesn't mess with the tune.
themoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
Tech Regular

If you go through a lot of airfilters, you prolyl should try getting a two stage airfilter. You can wash the outer filter with zero worry about it, just chenge the inner when it starts to show dirt. Keep the inner and outer filter oiled but try to put the minimum amount of oil on the outer prefilter. This will help keep it from getting caked on.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

I do run an outer filter but I leave it dry.
I'll try oiling it a small amount & see what that does.
themoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #22

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Air filter maintenence

Guys, I have been in the mx racing biz for a LONG time, and the absolute best product I have found is Twin Air air filter cleaner.

For my 1/8 buggy, I use the two stage foam air filters, and a good quality foam filter oil (bell ray, twin air, honda, yamaha there all pretty close to the same thing. Just don't use the spray on type.)
The Twin Air filter cleaning system comprises of a tub you fill with the cleaner. It has a grate at the bottom so all the sediment can settle to the bottom, and your air filter will not sit in mud if it should fall in. This stuff disolves ALL the oil residue from the filter and allows the filter to be cleaned completely. It is also water soluable so after you clean the filter in the cleaner you rinse it with copious amounts of water. Another great feature of this product is it will not make your filter swell up. This can be a problem if you use gasoline, solvent, or mineral spirits.
After you clean and rinse your filters, allow them to dry completely. This will allow the fresh oil to completely coat the clean filter. I usually put 5 filters in a bag and pour filter oil in and massage the bag from the out side and ensure the filters are completely covered in oil. I then remove them and pat the excess oil off with a paper towel, but not to much. Put the oiled filters in a clean plastic bag and throw them in your tool box.

I always oil both inner and outer filters. I replace the outer after every run. The inner filter very rarely ever has any dirt on it. If it did I would replace it.

Using the dual air flter with the both elements oiled, I have never had any premature wear caused by dirt intake. And my engines always run consistantly, because they are always set up with the same clean filter for every run. Having 5 filters clean and on hand oiled ready to go would be costly if you ran a new one each time.

I see no reason not to reuse your old filters as long as they are cleaned properly.

Check out the Twin Air filter cleaning system. You won't be dissapointed!.

BK

p.s. I am in no way affiliated with Twin Air, I just found an excellent product and have used it for many years with great success!
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by regg151
rookie you have a valid point and i'm not here to argue with you the extra insurance and peace of mind you get from putting on a brand new filter is worth it for you and many others.

Myself I'm perfectly happy to run washed filter foam, I've been doing this for several years now with no ill effects I've never had a motor last me less then 8 gallons when broken in properly and kept within resonable temps. yes the performance did degrade over time but thats just the nature of these engines.

I've seen the guys at the track that true a set of tires for each and every qualifier. although I can see the reasoning behind doing this I personally wouldn't, just can't see throwing money away for a fraction of a second gain. I've seen and heard all sorts of things that are supposed to make you faster, make things last longer etc etc bottom line they all cost you money allthough some of them are well worth it a good number of them are just marketing hype.

As for the corn oil in the shocks I do know of someone who actually did just that, worked so-so. he actually switched to no kidding mineral oil and his car was dialed odd you bet your bippy it was odd but hey it worked for him. by the way he was 14-15 at the time and was severly strapped for cash as paper routes aren't as lucrative as they used to be.

But back to topic me personally I clean and re-oil others simply buy new ones after a set amount of runs. It comes down to what you and your wallet are comfertable with. if you want to race competativly then by all means replace your filters if your just bashing around I'd just wash and reuse. again do what your comfertable with.
Absolutely........if you ask me can I clean my used filter, I would say no cause I don't know how and I am sure I am not good enough to perform that kind of a task...........if you or anyone can do a really nice cleaning, go for it........the concept is, make sure the filter is CLEAN and free of dirt/dust.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by tranced
there really isnt much problem to this.
what i like to do is clear the initial crap out of the foam with soap and water, then blast it with WD40, and repeat the soap + water. allow it to dry, and apply a decent amount of filter oil (i like to use associated as the blue makes it easy to find spots you missed)
I just printed this instruction out and hope I can find time to give that a try...............it sounds easy enough.
About the blue AE filter oil........I am sure that is one of the best in the market, but that oil get sticky once it is on the filter...is that HARD to clean and do I need to use warm/hot water to clean something sticky...? Personaly AE one is not my favorite, but ppl keep telling me they are the best, and thats why I keep replacing filter instead of cleaning them because they are getting sticky....
Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Nothing.....the most, I might add a tad of filter oil around the filter, thats it.
if you leave the dirt or dust on the outside of the airfilter from the first use, wont it restrict the inflow of air to the motor? plus, if you put oil on the outside of a dirty air filter you are probably taking a risk of pushing some dirt into the carb.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

To me it is not even close to worth the risk of getting dirt in the engine. I do not wash out my filters. When I think it is time, I will just replace them. It is only 3-5 dollars for a filter.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Fisher
To me it is not even close to worth the risk of getting dirt in the engine. I do not wash out my filters. When I think it is time, I will just replace them. It is only 3-5 dollars for a filter.
i do think that this is the optimal thing to do as well. to tell you the truth, i never really thought about it. i just cleaned them. going forward, i think i might just use new ones. plus, i just bought three brand new x12 jp mod and with that investment i should take care of them.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
if you leave the dirt or dust on the outside of the airfilter from the first use, wont it restrict the inflow of air to the motor? plus, if you put oil on the outside of a dirty air filter you are probably taking a risk of pushing some dirt into the carb.
I only add oil if that need to be added (usually I don't), and if that is the 2nd timer, I don't rub or squeeze after oiling..........I only squeeze on the first time.

You are correct, the 2nd timer of the filter should not perform as good as the 1st timer, but that is good enough for me, then the week after, I will use a new filter....
Old 05-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
i do think that this is the optimal thing to do as well. to tell you the truth, i never really thought about it. i just cleaned them. going forward, i think i might just use new ones. plus, i just bought three brand new x12 jp mod and with that investment i should take care of them.
Like what I said at the beginning..........$3.50 vs $300 plus JP mod X12 engine............that is nothing difficult to make the decision. It is not the money issue, it is the right and wrong issue.

I always feed the $1.00 parking meter to park my car for only 2-3 minutes in downtown Chicago.........versus the $35 parking tickets in order to save that $1.00.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #30
Tech Elite

I just wanted to let people know that i have not had a problem with cleaning the filters. I have been using the same 2 filters for 6 months and have not had a problem. I use dishwashing soap. the key is to make sure that you use pressure from the inside out, that way you push the dirt out and not into the foam. I basically use 2, as I use one for qualifing anf the other for the main. Then when I am working on my car at home, I first clean them both and let them dry for 3 or 4 days. Buying new ones is probably the best way, but I think that washing is still o.k.
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote