Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Catasrophic conrod failure, worth fixing? >

Catasrophic conrod failure, worth fixing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catasrophic conrod failure, worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Catasrophic conrod failure, worth fixing?

so, wanted to get my car up and running for the new nitro season and the conrod exploded lol.

i warmed it up and gave it a little blip and "TINK" its in many peices now lol.

Engine is a OS12TZ-T3. not an expensive engine but was pretty strong for the $200 i spent on it. obviously the rod is gone.. the piston and head button got damage from contact, though miraculously the glowplug still works lol.

the sleeve doesnt really seem to have any damage. some light light scratches but I mean REALLY light. cant feel them. they dont sell the sleeves by themselves anyway though.

so.. before i waste more brainspace on this, id need a head, piston/sleeve, conrod for sure.. is it worth it to try and rebuild? $138 plus some shipping from tower "who is one of the only places with the parts" or will one of those $149 RB tuning engines be a better deal?
speed was never an issue with this motor. it didnt have the top end of the $$$$ motors but was PLENTY for a parking lot track.

while im on the topic, would the SPEED parts be a direct drop in for the crank case? I can get the SPEC2 speed sleeve for only $20 more than the stock T3 sleeve.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

ah crap. mods please move to nitro onroad engine zone. i wasnt paying enough attention i guess.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

No.

Considering cost of piston sleeve, conrod, bearing. Cheaper to get a complete engine.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
ah crap. mods please move to nitro onroad engine zone. i wasnt paying enough attention i guess.
It's there now, though I accidentally put it in the Offroad Nitro one first, but you're good to go now...
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yep probably just better to get you a new engine its just doesnt make sense to replace all of that when you can find a new complete engine for about the same or maybe a few more bucks. id go with a bit faster engine if it was me.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get a new one and order a conrod with it, after break in put the new rod in
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

ive heard the os engines definitely need a conrod swap after break in, so ill be doing that. gonna replace this engine with a 12xz Speed 3. very nice engine to replace with.
though. this engine was great while i had it!
I didn't have to mess with it much at all for the season. an hour here or there on the hsn and it was dialed for our track.
I might keep it around and see what the intercompatibility will be with some of my old TR parts, or if i can track down some TZ parts on ebay for cheap. would be a great engine for practice days to save my spec3 some needless torture.

ps, after taking it all appart and hitting it with brake kleen, there is nothing wrong with the case at all. both bearings are still smooth and the carb is completely intact. so all i would really need is a head button, piston/sleeve and rod. but that is the same price as a new rbtuning, unless i could find the parts in china somewhere.