R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Best glow plug ignitor?... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/63783-best-glow-plug-ignitor.html)

Vyrus 02-19-2005 12:06 PM

Best glow plug ignitor?...

Quick and simple: Have any tests /comparisons been done with glow plug ignitors? Please feel free to post personal opinion IF you have experience with multiple chargers. I'm willing to spend up to $40 to get something good.

Mine tend to die often, really irritating when I walk 1/2 mile to get my car/truck going and then walk home because the battery is gone. It's not the chargers fault, it's old and been used 100s of times. I have the C-cell battery ones, the batteries die to quickly and it becomes very expensive. Anyways I noticed most of them are NiCD, does anyone make a NiMH charger? I'd prefer to buy one with a meter on it (easier/ more reliable than pulling the plug to see if its lighting).

Let me know what's up.
Thanks,
-Cyrus

danjoy25 02-20-2005 03:03 PM

Re: Best glow plug ignitor?...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Quick and simple: Have any tests /comparisons been done with glow plug ignitors? Please feel free to post personal opinion IF you have experience with multiple chargers. I'm willing to spend up to $40 to get something good.

Mine tend to die often, really irritating when I walk 1/2 mile to get my car/truck going and then walk home because the battery is gone. It's not the chargers fault, it's old and been used 100s of times. I have the C-cell battery ones, the batteries die to quickly and it becomes very expensive. Anyways I noticed most of them are NiCD, does anyone make a NiMH charger? I'd prefer to buy one with a meter on it (easier/ more reliable than pulling the plug to see if its lighting).

Let me know what's up.
Thanks,
-Cyrus

I think the best one will rely on the batteries you use. Try getting one with a 3600 or 3700 mah nimh cell and this will last you all week.

Vyrus 02-20-2005 07:30 PM

I have heard that the FT Associated ignitor comes with a 3000mah NiMH, and you can buy it for $19.99+ shipping at Tower hobbies. Seems like that can't be beat. Shipping there is really expensive for just one thing, so you guys looking to buy it might want to wait until you have a list of things.
-Cyrus

InitialD 02-20-2005 10:27 PM

Vyrus, get the one with the meter at the end. And also get one that you can change and replace the sub C cell if it's dead. You should be able to get sub C cells cheap and easy.

mgreen 02-25-2005 08:49 PM

Thats the one I'm using now. I like it a lot.

Seisick 02-28-2005 06:02 AM

the ae ft glow charger comes with a 125ma charger, metered cap and a panasonic 3000 sub c, best value so far for a glow starter, 19.99 on tower, ask your lhs, ah and itīs replaceable!

cdelong 02-28-2005 06:22 AM

get a starter box with a gel cell and a power panel- you'll never have a dead battery.

revzalot 02-28-2005 08:29 AM

I have a Dynamite Glow Ignitor that takes in Sub Cs. It works great and I have additional Sub Cs just in case the other dies out.

tommi 02-28-2005 08:58 AM

Originally posted by InitialD
Vyrus, get the one with the meter at the end. And also get one that you can change and replace the sub C cell if it's dead. You should be able to get sub C cells cheap and easy.
Hey D, how about the glow ignitor that Unc. Yokomo uses?
The ignitor uses an external source of power, such as the gel cell, hence no worries on dead batteries. :nod: I forgot what's the brand, couldn't come up with any further info..

InitialD 03-02-2005 12:51 AM

Originally posted by tommi
Hey D, how about the glow ignitor that Unc. Yokomo uses?
The ignitor uses an external source of power, such as the gel cell, hence no worries on dead batteries. :nod: I forgot what's the brand, couldn't come up with any further info..

Q World makes one I think. I know Serpent also makes one.