HPI T-15 starting problems

Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI T-15 starting problems

I've got a HPI T-15 that's barely a month into being run, with maybe about half a gallon (if even) of fuel put through it. I've been able to start the engine pretty much effortlessly since the first time I fired it up. I've always kept the engine running fairly rich, making sure I've kept a nice trail of smoke coming from the pipe (never flooding the engine though). The first time I ever had problems starting, I took a blow dryer and preheated the head and boom, engine started. The was the first and last time I had starting problems until this past Saturday.

The last time the engine ran was either last Tuesday or Wednesday. Saturday I couldn't get the engine to run, and pretty much since then I've been troubleshooting every possibility of why the engine won't start. Fresh fuel, new plug, charged ignitor, air leak test (both the engine and fuel tank), new exhaust gasket, reset needles to factory settings, increased idle, preheated the head, nothing has worked.

Compression in my opinion is just fine. It takes a good amount of effort to spin the flywheel. Took the car to the lhs today and even they couldn't get it to start. They suggested I take off the backplate and take a peek inside. I called HPI today (twice actually) and the first rep suggested I open the engine up as well. I did just that, while slightly damaging a few of the backplate screws (subpar drivers + red threadlock don't go together very well). Wasn't sure what to look for once I got it open, so I called HPI again and the second rep was unsure why I was told to even open up the engine. He then asked me if I saw any metal shards, debris, or a stretched con rod. I found none of those.

I am sending in my engine to HPI tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping for the best. I apologize if the post has turned into a rant! It has just been a frustrating couple of days. I've invested way too much into this project and I would hate to hear that my only option is buying a brand new engine.

Anyone have some insight to my situation? I've tried just about everything, lol.