R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   TZ-18 Timing Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/609484-tz-18-timing-question.html)

Z'Stein 03-15-2012 02:23 PM

TZ-18 Timing Question

I just read an older thread ("how to adjust engine timing"), which is very interesting. I have been "some-what modifying" these little engines for years, and after destroying many, I figured out how to make them scream. They even start and idle without stalling constantly. However, I never knew about the "timing adjustment" associated with them. So I have a few questions to all persons knowledgeable of engine timing; what is the stock timing of the OS TZ-18, and should the recommended 2mm cut be made on the opening or closing side of the crank. I have always simply trimmed metal off (knife edged) the closing side of the crank, but left the stock timing alone. Further, what is the best timing for a drag race only (TZ-18) engine, and how do you balance the crankshafts? Thanks

Z'Stein 03-18-2012 12:42 AM

Wow!! Sorry for asking.

Grinder 03-18-2012 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Z'Stein (Post 10471913)
I just read an older thread ("how to adjust engine timing"), which is very interesting. I have been "some-what modifying" these little engines for years, and after destroying many, I figured out how to make them scream. They even start and idle without stalling constantly. However, I never knew about the "timing adjustment" associated with them. So I have a few questions to all persons knowledgeable of engine timing; what is the stock timing of the OS TZ-18, and should the recommended 2mm cut be made on the opening or closing side of the crank. I have always simply trimmed metal off (knife edged) the closing side of the crank, but left the stock timing alone. Further, what is the best timing for a drag race only (TZ-18) engine, and how do you balance the crankshafts? Thanks

Stock TZ.18 timing is as follows:

Crankshaft open 38 degrees abdc
Crankshaft close 60 degrees atdc
Crankshaft total open 202 degrees

Transfers, and boost are open for 120 degrees. Open 115 atdc.
Exhaust open for 168 degrees. Open at 95 atdc.

I don't want to disclose my exact crank numbers for my modified TZ.18, but you should start by removing .75mm from opening, and closing.

You should also enlarge the bore of the crankshaft, and add a tungsten weight to the crank.

How I balance is something I will keep to myself. Sometimes crankshafts need weight removed from certain areas. Sometimes I need to add tungsten weights to certain areas. A lot of the time, I do both.

Z'Stein 03-19-2012 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 10483592)
Stock TZ.18 timing is as follows:

Crankshaft open 38 degrees abdc
Crankshaft close 60 degrees atdc
Crankshaft total open 202 degrees

Transfers, and boost are open for 120 degrees. Open 115 atdc.
Exhaust open for 168 degrees. Open at 95 atdc.

I don't want to disclose my exact crank numbers for my modified TZ.18, but you should start by removing .75mm from opening, and closing.

You should also enlarge the bore of the crankshaft, and add a tungsten weight to the crank.

How I balance is something I will keep to myself. Sometimes crankshafts need weight removed from certain areas. Sometimes I need to add tungsten weights to certain areas. A lot of the time, I do both.

Thank you for your response. I have never had a professionally modified motor, but based on your response, I think I may need to send my new motor to you. What are you charging for a "drag race" type mod? A private message is fine.