R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #1366
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
i'm using the tornado 25% with the stock glow plug that came with the engine. i think it's OS P7 turbo plug if i am not mistaken. i'm not running lean since my temps are only around 210F. also, i check the engine after every run and no signs of the engine being too lean. i think the track lay-out also has a lot to do with it since our local track is more of a technical layout..
dont take me serious about beeing lean i was just taking the piss thats all
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #1367
Tech Adept

Default Help required Please!

I purchased an OS 12TZ from Tower Hobies a week ago. The motor was carefully run in usin Rocket Science 20%. When run in the fuel was swapped to 30% nitro. At all times a close monitor of the head temperature was taken. During run in the temperature was never higher than 185F. When run in and at the track the temperature was kept to about 220F. After 2 runs the supplied plug had blown. This was replaced with a No.7 plug. Again the plug blew. At this point I decided to add a 0.005" head gasket. Getting the button out of the head was hard, however I then noticed that both the head insert and piston had severe pitting. I finished the day using another motor. When I got home I removed the back plate and discovered the problem.
The fit of the con rod to crank pin has a terrible amount of slop. Please see the photo.
Thank you for your help,
Nick Marson
Attached Thumbnails
OS 12 TzR-big-end-wear3-reduced.jpg  
Nosram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #1368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

send your engine back to tower they should replace that..thats obviously a manufacturing fault.. my 2 year old os tr didnt have that much play if play at all
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #1369
Tech Adept

Default OS big end

I am going to send it back, but the OS warranty says to send it back to Hobby Services.
Does anyone have any advise on Hobby Services, I would be more comfortable with Tower
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #1370
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosram
I purchased an OS 12TZ from Tower Hobies a week ago. The motor was carefully run in usin Rocket Science 20%. When run in the fuel was swapped to 30% nitro. At all times a close monitor of the head temperature was taken. During run in the temperature was never higher than 185F. When run in and at the track the temperature was kept to about 220F. After 2 runs the supplied plug had blown. This was replaced with a No.7 plug. Again the plug blew. At this point I decided to add a 0.005" head gasket. Getting the button out of the head was hard, however I then noticed that both the head insert and piston had severe pitting. I finished the day using another motor. When I got home I removed the back plate and discovered the problem.
The fit of the con rod to crank pin has a terrible amount of slop. Please see the photo.
Thank you for your help,
Nick Marson
I can't believe how big that gap is!! What are those little specs in the photo, look like bits of metal?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:19 AM   #1371
Tech Adept

Default Con Rod

It might well be bits of metal, the end of the rod had been rubbing on the crankcase!
I took the photo with a Sony T1 on the magnifer range. Larger than the eye can see,
Nick Marson
Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 AM   #1372
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
dont take me serious about beeing lean i was just taking the piss thats all
no harm done
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #1373
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosram
Thank you for your help,
Nick Marson
hmm...it looks like that the conrod in your engine is not the right one. first time i have seen this tough. i have had several os engines and i didn't have any problems with it. send it back to where you get it. there might be a mix-up there as to the conrod...
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:29 AM   #1374
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default top end

last week was the motor 1st outing (club race) ,

so regarding the performance i can see the power in the low to mid section (untouchables in this dept.), so fast coming out to the strait...just the top seems was a bit lacking though no one was able to pass me on the straight ( few cars got closer towards the end of the straight ) ... i was using the 'sage' pipe, p6 turbo plug and 25% nitro... so next 2 weeks i'll be racing again in a bit larger track, i ll be playin with a bigger pinion...
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)

Last edited by rcabj; 12-01-2006 at 02:54 AM.
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #1375
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

I just bought an OS 12 TZ 3 port, do you guys leave your carb restrictors in these engines (the one that the engine comes with) or do you remove them? Is there much performance difference?

Ta

Steve
Old 12-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #1376
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambelli
Hi Guys,

I just bought an OS 12 TZ 3 port, do you guys leave your carb restrictors in these engines (the one that the engine comes with) or do you remove them? Is there much performance difference?
that is not a restricter, leave it in.

Ta

Steve
Team Trinity
[url]www.teamtrinity.com[/url]
Gary Figueroa
GFIGUEROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #1377
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcabj
last week was the motor 1st outing (club race) ,

so regarding the performance i can see the power in the low to mid section (untouchables in this dept.), so fast coming out to the strait...just the top seems was a bit lacking though no one was able to pass me on the straight ( few cars got closer towards the end of the straight ) ... i was using the 'sage' pipe, p6 turbo plug and 25% nitro... so next 2 weeks i'll be racing again in a bit larger track, i ll be playin with a bigger pinion...
It will get better when the engine loosens up some, the OS engines are the tightest that I have seen.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #1378
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANINTHEMUGEN
Cool, I thought I recalled it being called that in the manual, but it does seem to provide the venturi to the carb barrel so it makes sense to have it there.

Ta

Steve
Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #1379
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambelli
Cool, I thought I recalled it being called that in the manual, but it does seem to provide the venturi to the carb barrel so it makes sense to have it there.

Ta

Steve
I've run without mine before and the engine became torquey but the fuel economy was crap
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #1380
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
It will get better when the engine loosens up some, the OS engines are the tightest that I have seen.
yup its still very tight after almost 2 1/2 litres.....anyway yesterday i match the motor with the nova efra 2630 pipe and 'wow' it was better
funny thing is i have to open up the main needle another 10 minutes to get it screaming on the top end....and i'm sure previous setting it was not over heating only 105 deg.

p/s... would an option heat sink increase the engine performance ??tq
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote