R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #1261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

It's free too! Hopefully I don't have to pay shipping too!
Old 06-25-2006, 01:24 AM   #1262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well it should be cheap as there is hardly any liner left
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #1263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Guys,
Is there a conrod upgrade for the TZ(3) as I have broken two of them in my engine now and I have heard this a common problem with the TZ(3).Thanks

Taffyjnr5
GPX-4/OS TZ(3)
Spektrum
Taffyjnr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #1264
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have almost a gallon through mine and have not had any issues with the conrod, piston, or sleeve. In fact, I just ran in my regionals this past weekend, put over 200 laps on the engine, ran it for a little over 80 minutes on Sunday (practice, a 5 min qualifier, a 30 min B-main, and a 45 min A-main). Through out all of this, the temp never went above 225F degrees. It had plenty of top end and enough low end grunt to pull anyone on the straight or the technical infield. After this performance, OS has definitely sold me on the TZ line. Oh, and mine is bone stock out of the box (before the EB Mod version ever came about). And, it gets great fuel milage on the big track.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #1265
Tech Elite

My concern is the pipe since most say the OS pipe is the best for this engine. I like an engine that works great with almost any of the other available pipes and not have to use one pipe to make it the best. I'll probably pick up a vantage pipe if I get the original .12TZ. The EB mods I may/may not get.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #1266
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
My concern is the pipe since most say the OS pipe is the best for this engine. I like an engine that works great with almost any of the other available pipes and not have to use one pipe to make it the best. I'll probably pick up a vantage pipe if I get the original .12TZ. The EB mods I may/may not get.
Bert,
Stop procrastinating and buy a TZ already. Stock, modded, it doesn't matter. As for pipes, you do not have to run the OS to bring out the best in this engine. I have run Vantage, Skyline, and JP and OS and have been pleased with all.
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #1267
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Best "track proven" alternatives to OS's original pipe with more top end without sacrificing low end are:

Mugen / Shimo MSR P01002
Skyline VR 12 Plus

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #1268
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am running the Yokomo pipe with mine. The engine runs like a champ with it. Like some others have mentioned, the TZ should run well with any of the top-end pipes on the market. Don't buy into the hype that you have to use the OS pipe (overpriced) in order to get maximum power and effeciency from your engine.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #1269
Tech Elite

Hehe very well Jaime I'll give it a whirl. This other LHS guy is still offering me a Sirio Evo 3 for $279 though...hehe. Right now I do need a .12 pipe to be legal since I have a .15BB pipe.

Last edited by HarKonnenD; 06-28-2006 at 05:22 AM.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #1270
Tech Master

I'm very happy my tz runs with a skyline VR12 pipe. Plenty of low end. Great fuel consumption too, i had around half a tank after 5 mins i wasnt using ovcer half throttle though
Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #1271
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hehe very well Jaime I'll give it a whirl. This other LHS guy is still offering me a Sirio Evo 3 for $279 though...hehe. Right now I do need a .12 pipe to be legal since I have a .15BB pipe.
Don't buy the Sirio Evo 3 if you can. The TZ will last you much longer as far as the piston and sleeve if treated properly. Also, the TZ has more low-end grunt and just as much top-end as the Evo 3. Plus, piston/sleeve and conrods are much cheaper and easier to find than on the Sirio. Once you buy, break-in, and run the TZ, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by JLock; 06-28-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #1272
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
Don't buy the Sirio Evo 3 if you can. The TZ will last you much longer as far as the piston and sleeve if treated properly. Also, the TZ has more low-end grant and just as much top-end as the Evo 3. Plus, piston/sleeve and conrods are much cheaper and easier to find than on the Sirio. Once you buy, break-in, and run the TZ, you will not be disappointed.
i agreed with JLock, get the TZ. I ran siro EVO3 and i can't see any difference comparing to my TZ in performance wise, what I can assure. I can say in the tunning side, the TZ is more easy to work on than the sirio. I still have the NovaMax P5 but there is no significant difference to TZ. The only huge difference is the pricing, get the TZ and save your money and get more tyre set for practice.............
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #1273
Tech Elite

Thnx for the replies again all...I'm convinced. OS it is. Now it's between the TZ and EB mod..hah!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #1274
Tech Elite

I own both the TZ and EVO3, ran both. Bone stock EVO3, the TZ is close, but no match. Tuning goes, the same, no one is easier then the other. Price, TZ is about $40-$50 cheaper. Craftmanship, EVO3 was much better.

With that said, to me TZ is a good club race motor and that's what I use it for.

Dom
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #1275
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
I own both the TZ and EVO3, ran both. Bone stock EVO3, the TZ is close, but no match. Tuning goes, the same, no one is easier then the other. Price, TZ is about $40-$50 cheaper. Craftmanship, EVO3 was much better.

With that said, to me TZ is a good club race motor and that's what I use it for.

Dom

Dom you took the words right out of my mouth....I love the tz Due to the reliablity of the tune decent power and very durable....but when it comes to big races....The sirio has always been in my car 06 W-nats I used tz in practice when Quals started evo3 went in including main.... I havent tried one of the modified versions of the tz so i cant campare those
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote