R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #646
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I broke it in by heat cycling the engine, and take it apart and clean it after every time i run the motor, it seemed to have good pinch before saturday, and after i raced saturday most of my pinch is gone, although the motor is still very fast.
ATXPro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #647
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

could be you got some dirt in there there thru the airfilter either that or the engine is just fully broken in like I said before way to many variables.
as long as it runs strong then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #648
Tech Adept

Hey fellas - is there significant difference in terms of power and fuel consumption between the OS TZ 3 and 5 port?? Been hearing so much of great things about this motor, thinking of getting one soon. Also, heard that you have to seal the carb properly as it leaks is this true and common for all?
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:48 AM   #649
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic_RS
Hi guys, just wanna gather feedback at what temp are your TZ 5 port running...

Mine's running at about 120 deg C and anywhere below that, 5 min runtime is at risk...

Cheers
Guys, anymore input with regards to yr temp and runtimes ?
Civic_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:58 AM   #650
Tech Master

I am running at approximately 110C, and I get slightly less than 6 minutes. I am using a 6mm pipe and OS P6 plug with the stock standard shims.
BundyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #651
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion
Hey fellas - is there significant difference in terms of power and fuel consumption between the OS TZ 3 and 5 port?? Been hearing so much of great things about this motor, thinking of getting one soon. Also, heard that you have to seal the carb properly as it leaks is this true and common for all?
Coldfusion- the reason people think the carb leaks is that the carb comes loose from the factory so you can set the correct angle, then you must push down on the carb with your thumb (to collapse the o-ring) while tightening the carb hold down nut. I've seen racers that never even tightened the nut!!! LOL

Far as 3 or 5 port, the 5 isn't ROAR or IFMAR legal so consider that when purchasing. If legality doesn't matter, then the next consideration is track size. The 5 port seems to have a little more top end while the 3 port has a little more punch. I run on a 200' track and we can't really tell much difference on the back staight, but if it were a 275' track then it might be different

ATXPro4- I've found a similar thing to be true with my motor. For the first 1/2 gallon the pinch was so tight you couldn't even get past TDC turning the flywheel with the motor in the car. Now, I can get it past TDC w/o using a screwdriver , but the motor is still fast as ever and the MAIN thing that is a sure indicator of a loss of compression is that the tune doesn't chage as the motor gets warmer. That is what you need to keep an eye on.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #652
Tech Regular

What temp gun do you use?
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #653
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
Coldfusion- the reason people think the carb leaks is that the carb comes loose from the factory so you can set the correct angle, then you must push down on the carb with your thumb (to collapse the o-ring) while tightening the carb hold down nut. I've seen racers that never even tightened the nut!!! LOL

Far as 3 or 5 port, the 5 isn't ROAR or IFMAR legal so consider that when purchasing. If legality doesn't matter, then the next consideration is track size. The 5 port seems to have a little more top end while the 3 port has a little more punch. I run on a 200' track and we can't really tell much difference on the back staight, but if it were a 275' track then it might be different

ATXPro4- I've found a similar thing to be true with my motor. For the first 1/2 gallon the pinch was so tight you couldn't even get past TDC turning the flywheel with the motor in the car. Now, I can get it past TDC w/o using a screwdriver , but the motor is still fast as ever and the MAIN thing that is a sure indicator of a loss of compression is that the tune doesn't chage as the motor gets warmer. That is what you need to keep an eye on.

Apparently it leaks at the black boot (low end needle). some have removed the boot and used high temp siilicone under it to stop the leaks with a cable tie around the boot for added security. Also at the tip of the boot. Anyone experience leakages here??

Understand the motor comes with a 6 and 5.4mm carb insert for the 5 port. Which insert do you guys use commonly and why??

Thanks.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #654
Tech Adept

ATXPro4, If your motor still has alot of power, I would not even worry about it.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #655
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to travymoto1

It comes with the stock 5.5 insert and an optional 6.5
I plan start the break in process of my 5port tommorow.
travymoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #656
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion
Apparently it leaks at the black boot (low end needle). some have removed the boot and used high temp siilicone under it to stop the leaks with a cable tie around the boot for added security. Also at the tip of the boot. Anyone experience leakages here??

Understand the motor comes with a 6 and 5.4mm carb insert for the 5 port. Which insert do you guys use commonly and why??

Thanks.
If its leaking from under the boot, you have much more serious problems. Simply sealing and zip tieng the boot won't fix it. If this is really happening, then fuel is leaking from around the slide mechanism. Somthing is scarred, damaged or dislodged if this is happing.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:32 AM   #657
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default zac os tz

has anyone yet tried this engine ?

i saw it on thepro shop futba site

thanks
John
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #658
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Thumbs up hey

a couple buddies run them,they are fast,here a secret modified them,then hold on.run it first in box stock form.then decided, myself i run evo3 in my rrr an fwo5r.the tz is a engine that will run with bigboys.
impalabob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #659
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to pedal2thametal

OH MY GOD.

i just got through the 6st tank of brake in with my 3port tz. opening the throttle on the straights for a few seconds and WOW.
iam stil braking it in with the needle a little on the rich side so the engine isnt even running full power and i was amazed.

i run the 3p tz in a g4 mongoose with foam tires and the car just sticks to the ground. point and shoot.

i know the engine isnt on full power, and yet it is freakin fast.
really glad i ordered this engine. real happy with it.

p.s. question!!

iam braking in the engine with the heat cycle method.
the first 3 tanks i used a hair dryer to get the engine up to temp.and keeping the temp at around 200f
the 4th up to the 6th tank i couldnt use a hair dryer. had a little dificoulty turning over the flywheel on the starter box. i got it running tho.

the compression is stil as tight as a p*ssy. i cant turn over the flywheel when
the engine is stil in the car. but when turning over the flywheel by hand with the glowplug out, i dont have that huh.. (kling sound) anymore. more like "plop"
this is because of the correct break in right?
or is it because i didnt use the hair dryer?
pedal2thametal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #660
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys I have a V1RRR with the 3 port with about 2 gallons I think the engine is dying!! Where can I get the parts for it online? I am thinking to give the 5 ports a try. But it only lasts about 2 gallons. Kinda sad imo
nero1943 is offline   Reply With Quote