R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #391
Tech Fanatic

Hey jeffreylin... I tried the TZ-12 with the Skyline pipe and the Yokomo Mielke pipe and I found that the Mielke gave it more punch and speed on the top end and the skyline was a little better on the midrange... Running it at Crystal park so it's not that much of a difference then the speed carried at Revalation.. Overall though, I must say OS has a winner with this motor...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 06-29-2005 at 11:49 PM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:50 AM   #392
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundyMan
What pipe is great for the TZ 5 port? Can I use the one that is matched with the 3 port?

I have also asked the specific differences between the TZR and TZ (P). According to Masa from Rc-Champ, TZR is meant for export market. Whether there is any differences internally, god knows
In fact, there is no TZR in USA.
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:06 AM   #393
Tech Initiate

Default The exhaust system

Hey guys.
Does a pipe with 6mm fits on this engine or it has to be 5 mm? Please can u answer quickly, i want to order this one today. Does the pipe which i gave u the link above fits on this engine?
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #394
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_alan
Hey jeffreylin... I tried the TZ-12 with the Skyline pipe and the Yokomo Mielke pipe and I found that the Mielke gave it more punch and speed on the top end and the skyline was a little better on the midrange... Running it at Crystal park so it's not that much of a difference then the speed carried at Revalation.. Overall though, I must say OS has a winning with this motor...

RC_Alan
If you have an earlier version of the Skyline pipe check with Ken. I think they have constantly been improving the pipe and current version is a screamer.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #395
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Hey guys.
Does a pipe with 6mm fits on this engine or it has to be 5 mm? Please can u answer quickly, i want to order this one today. Does the pipe which i gave u the link above fits on this engine?
6mm pipe fits. It's just not legal for racing in most cases.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #396
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundyMan
Btw, how many shims are you guys using for this engine? And what's the LSN and HSN needle setting?

Rgds
I have approx 3 turns out LSN and 1 turn out on the HSN. And I only have about 16 tanks run through it so I'm still tuning to race. Also, I have been running 30% fuel but I think I should run 20% fuel in this Texas heat OR add the one more copper shim. I say this because it does like to lean out (revs up) on the "low" side when it gets to racing temps.
So Post some knowledge, thanks.
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:30 AM   #397
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Pipes:

I am running the TZ with the current VR12 skyline pipe and it's a fantastic combination.

Tuning:

If you find that the engine revs up when hot, then you've set the LSN too rich before you went out for your qualifier. I experienced this also thinking I was looking after the engine and it doesn't like it at all. Lean the LSN a little and rich the HSN a little until you find the balance. Current sleeve material in this OS engine works really well at operating temp but is very tight when cold.

IFMAR/EFRA Legal?:

The crank is legal in it's bore size and the turbo cut does not contact the centre bore so it makes it legal for both IFMAR and EFRA sanctioned events.

I have been running this motor for almost 8 litres (2 gallons) and it is still tight when cold and the conrod is not showing much wear at all. I am super surprised with the performance and now the longevity.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #398
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What pipe works well with this mill in NTC3?
ZOOM- Glad to here your getting good life out of this engine!
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #399
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M

Tuning:

If you find that the engine revs up when hot, then you've set the LSN too rich before you went out for your qualifier. I experienced this also thinking I was looking after the engine and it doesn't like it at all. Lean the LSN a little and rich the HSN a little until you find the balance. Current sleeve material in this OS engine works really well at operating temp but is very tight when cold.

Mike.
I have tried leaning the LSN and still get some lean-out at racing temps? I know each engine is different but what are your avg needle settings and shims? I have'nt had a chance to mess with it much but I'll get it tuned...and this is a much faster engine than the TR's.
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #400
Tech Fanatic

The TZ12 is such a great motor, that you'll find great returns in power with most of the current topend pipes on the market now.. Heck, even RC Driver used a OFNA Mega pipe and got a hp rating of 1.87 from the 5 port TZ12... This motor will leave a smile on your face a mile wide!!! I see peeps like the skyline VR12 pipe with this motor, and it works... Different pipes will give this motor a different personality... The VR12 is the safe bet but, but a few others will give big returns in power as well.. Some, more topend and some more low and midgrange power... As for the NTC3... TeamCarnage, the team Pipe is always a good starting point.. If you have the RD logics pipe for the NTC3.. Give that one a try as well and post your findings...

RC_Alan
Old 06-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #401
Jye
Tech Regular

i've seen more than one person say the 5 port is really powerfull, i mean 1.8 is ALOT! how often do you find the italian high price engines dynoing at that type of hp? For the price it sounds awesome, im gonna buy one asap.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #402
Tech Master

Anyone tried it with the new OS pipe? I supposed that will be an awesome combo?
BundyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:10 AM   #403
Tech Fanatic

I was looking for the 5 port... Saw one running at my local track... Said Wow!!! Gotta get me one of those now... lol... Couldn't find one, so I bought the 3 port legal version... Proper breakin... Running 30% O'Donnell, Yokomo Meilke pipe and the TZ12 3 port's power was right with the 5 port version running in a Mugen MTX3... And that 5 port TZ12 was killing a Sirio EVO III with Sirio pipe combo on the track... That's what made me want to get one right then and there... haven't been so happy about a motor since the old NS3 came out 2 years ago..

RC_Alan
Old 06-30-2005, 05:10 AM   #404
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoose
There's a dyno test of the .12 TZ 5 port in the Aug RC Driver mag.
1.8 HP!!
Not bad for an itty bitty engine!!
do you have a link to this?
moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #405
Tech Fanatic

Aug 2005 RC Driver Magazine Issue #20 pages 114-115... Dyon'd OS.TZ12 5- port... You can also go to www.rcdriver.com and see if they have the link there.. Possible search for it... I was only able to find the TZ-18 Dyno spec though on there website...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 06-30-2005 at 09:00 PM.