R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #211
Tech Initiate

What kind of racing do you run & what car is the engine going in??
themoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #212
Tech Initiate

1/10 nitro onroad.Currently have a Mugen MTX 3 and a HPI
R40 2004 edition.Engine will go on R40 for this weekend.12TZ
is replacing a Nova Rossi 12ns3.
athrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #213
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader
Thanks for the feedback. You mean they had it for the Kyosho cup already? Wow, that was quick. I only saw it last week...

Does OS has a history of losing compression real quick? I am now running a 12 TRPT. Come to think of it, it does feel quite loose after just 1 gallon.
Yeah, the guy who used the TZ TQed the race and was leading the field by a couple of laps before he had a problem with his spur. With regards to power and acceleration, I think this new OS can hold its own against the italian mills. Just like you, I am also concern about how long it can maintain its compression before getting one for myself
BundyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

do they make the TZ will a rotary carb and threaded shaft?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Yes there will be different versions of the TZ engine.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:28 AM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BundyMan
Yeah, the guy who used the TZ TQed the race and was leading the field by a couple of laps before he had a problem with his spur. With regards to power and acceleration, I think this new OS can hold its own against the italian mills. Just like you, I am also concern about how long it can maintain its compression before getting one for myself
i think os will live up to their quality of making good engines. so i expect that this engine will last long. i've had an ostr for 2 year until i changed to a new piston and sleeve... now that's really a durable material that they use
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

does anyone know the part number for the rotary carb/threaded shaft version? all I have seen is slide carb/SG shaft, or is this version not out yet?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #218
Tech Regular

TZ part numbers I have found so far

11370 = ? port ? shaft ? carb
11371 = 3 port short shaft rotary carb
11373 = 3 port SG shaft slide carb
11375 = 5 port SG shaft slide carb
3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #219
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by doki_doki
i think os will live up to their quality of making good engines. so i expect that this engine will last long. i've had an ostr for 2 year until i changed to a new piston and sleeve... now that's really a durable material that they use
Just a rule of thumb............high power = high wear. No one will ever produce a high power and last forever engine, at least the CEO of the company will not allow that happened, or they will never make money....
OS is very realible on their engine, but this time, they are stepping up to the high performance RACE engine.......from someone I know over in HK that used the 18TZ constantly (same design as 12TZ)....after 1-1/2 gallon of racing, already see the wear on the conrod.....and may be the piston as well.

To be honest, a full gallon and a 1/2 of fuel is a very standard checkpoint for parts replacement on high perfomrance engine. For something that will pull 1.5 HP....I think OS is up to the standard.

12 TR does not pull that kind of HP, so it might last longer....so does those CVR and those lower HP engine.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 AM   #220
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Rookie, you didn't mention this so I thought I would...

The life of the motor also depends GREATLY on the break-in procedure and tuning ability of the owner.

Break-in- if you are still breaking in your motors the old fashioned way... so freakin rich it washes the cylinders down, and not heat cycling, then you can guarantee a shorter lifespan.

Tuning- if you have a hard time tuning your motor and run it extremely rich or lean (typical for beginners or new-to-nitro), every time you overheat the motor or wash down the cylinder walls you decrease the life expectancy of the motor greatly.

Unfortunately for OS, many racers start off with an OS motor while they are learning to tune nitro and the motor begins to loose compression around 1-2 gallons- then they blame OS for the short lifespan when in reality they shortened the life themselves. Then they buy an Italian motor which they are able to tune fairly well and claim they are so great.

My TR E-spec has almost a gallon and a half through it and the motor is still tight internally, and the piston and sleeve still has such a great seal you have to grab the flywheel with two fingers to get it past TDC. Given, it doesn't have the power of a Rody or Murnan motor, but it's well tuned, no slouch and I've NEVER lost a race because I flamed out or had motor issues.

I'm looking forward to getting the TZ because I know that if I treat it the same as my E-spec it will live a long productive life and be much faster than my E-spec.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:54 AM   #221
Tech Adept

Talking dyno...

Hi Guys

I just planning to order this engine..saw the specs on the OS site japan. the max RPM was 40k. Now OS sites are usually undervaluing this.!! for somee reason. So i was wondering if anyone has Dyno'd this engine..... and has some specs on it.

Cheers
ZiiZO
uaerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I am hearing alot about OS not lasting or your concerned about the longivity of this engine. Their was only one engine with this problem and that was the old buggy engine the .21 VZB. The .2TZ
is a different breed of engine and with the testing being done this engine has not lost it 's power it only gets faster the longer you use it. Yes proper breakin and other factors decide how long the engine last and most of the time it comes down to the user how long you want the engine to last. Personaly I have ran almost two gallons threw my engine and it's like new. For the guys who have this engine please put some laps on it and you will find out how much you will like the .12TZ.
The missconception is that the more HP and RPM the betterr the motor, but most of us can't drive a car with this much HP or RPM's
power is only good when you can use it, it is very unrealistic of racers to think just because the engine is1.6 hp and 45,000 rpm they will win races the only time you will use half of this is down the straightaway and most of the time your not full throttle.
I have seen drivers use box stock un moded engines and win because they drove within their means and did not over power the car, even in nitro racing slow is still fast.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #223
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

All depends. I drove my MT12 and did pretty good. Now I'm driving the Rody V12 3 port std and even with a heck lot more power I can drive this engine in the car a lot faster around the track, and our own home made track. Just gotta learn to dial the car in and how to work on the engine. You don't always need all the power either to be faster. Sometimes you find you'd have to push the slower engine (depending on how slow it is) to keep up. I spent $220 more than my MT12 however it's all worth it. The engine outperforms it all the way and around and will idle all day. Even while adjusting body clips, droop screws, and shock preload the Rody will still sit there idling without bogging down. Awesome engine! Power to the peoples!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #224
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
[B]Rookie, you didn't mention this so I thought I would...

The life of the motor also depends GREATLY on the break-in procedure and tuning ability of the owner.

B]
I can't say it any better.............agreed 110%.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #225
Tech Champion

From the guy who mod my engine.........that he mod mostly Nova Rossi based engine for his entire life........he said the material that TZ are using is up to par with Nova Rossi....in fact, he think it is even better then Nova Rossi...............he is the guy that MOD engine, by cutting and grinding material off the engine, so I think he can tells the different.