Search

Tuning a 3 Needle Carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Tuning a 3 Needle Carb

Hello all...

new to nitro.. got a fw-05rr with all the race bits on it.. handles extremely well and very happy indeed..

the motor on the other hand has an idle, high, med and low adjustments and i cannot seem to get it to run right.

The engine is a JP Racing Eagle black series. I bought it off another racer that was his end of season leftovers.. not run.

I have played with the car a few times, and struggling to get it to run well..

Essentially i need a direction on actually tuning with a med adjustment... everything i have read says just leave it at factory... i dont have factory settings... everything is for the normal carb.. low and high adj.

I cannot find anywhere the factory setting online... anyone have an idea of where to look?

cheers stanga
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stangas
Hello all...

new to nitro.. got a fw-05rr with all the race bits on it.. handles extremely well and very happy indeed..

the motor on the other hand has an idle, high, med and low adjustments and i cannot seem to get it to run right.

The engine is a JP Racing Eagle black series. I bought it off another racer that was his end of season leftovers.. not run.

I have played with the car a few times, and struggling to get it to run well..

Essentially i need a direction on actually tuning with a med adjustment... everything i have read says just leave it at factory... i dont have factory settings... everything is for the normal carb.. low and high adj.

I cannot find anywhere the factory setting online... anyone have an idea of where to look?

cheers stanga
If you mean the middle needle, the needle opposite to the front needle, the normal position for that is so that the end of the screw is on the same level as carburetor body.

If it's nearly there, keep it as it is, if it's far from that, move it there.

1. If you get the engine running, you don't need to know the factory settings. Just open the main needle like 1/2 to 1 turn and start driving the track. (do not mind the idle at this point)

2. Drive like 10 laps or something as fast as you can. Then measure the temp with a good quality temp gauge (Exergen or similar). Close the main needle little by little as lon as you get the temp 100C or little above.

If you don't have a good quality temp gauge, it's better to use water and a tea-spoon rather than a bad temp gauge. Drop a little of water on the glow plug and you get the exact reading. The goal is to get the water boiling like boiling potatos in kitchen.

3. Once you find the 100C, adjust the idle correct with the idle screw, not the front needle.

4. Then you can adjust the front needle by checking the amount of smoke coming when accelerate out from the curve. The goal is to get some smoke 2-5metres out from the curve depending on the track.

5. You are done!!

-X-
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

start from here http://www.jpracing.com/en/products/...carbu_fx12.php

but before that read here:http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...ing-bible.html.