R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #1261
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sam is just giving you a breakdown of the pricing, If you were to own either engine. That would be the cost. Most of the time you will replace 2 to 3 rods in the engines lifespan. Lifespan I am saying that the piston/sleeve set are worn out. So for that it is much more "cost effective". And Picco engines are easy to set the needles as well. There is not a question that when it comes time to change the piston/sleeve set you will spend more for the Nova based product. That does not mean that they are bad, just they have there pricing and Picco has theres.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #1262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
This is a rough estimate but if you take the general rule of thumb of changing the rod every two gallons the math works out like this.

Red Dot $180.00

Nova Plus 12-3 ct $350.00

Change the rod twice in each motor and you come up with

$260 total for the Red Dot over 5 gallons or 18 liters.

$410 total for the Plus 12-3ct over 5 gallons or 18 liters.

For someone just getting into the hobby and they are trying to save some money, a Picco motor would be the way to go. They are fast and from what I've seen they are also durable.
for your example you take a expensive, tuned engine with ceramic bearings against a standaard red dot.
Then it's really easy to come up with a price difference.
maybe it's better to buy a sts motor instead of a 353 because that difference is even greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
This is only true if your LHS is called "modelsport" who is the Dutch distributor for JP engines, and you listen to much to Peter from Modelsport....

Is Mega Cheap, or is Nova crazy expensive.....
The only way these engines are fast is when you buy them there or what do you mean?.
I have 3 jp stock engines, one is the latest version with ifmar crank.
It's just a fact that these engines are faster then the zx engines.
My jp run's faster on the straight then most of the mf 2 engines.

And i also had a zx engine, a former serpent driver gave it to me to try it.
It's fast, but i don't like the powerband of it, it's really agressive on throttle compared to the jp which is really smooth.
Last club race i blew the rod after 6 liters of fuel.
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #1263
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
The only way these engines are fast is when you buy them there or what do you mean?.
Peter will prefer to sell a JP engine instead of a Mega engine.... and you got your engines from Modelsport, am I right?

Quote:
I have 3 jp stock engines, one is the latest version with ifmar crank.
It's just a fact that these engines are faster then the zx engines.
My jp run's faster on the straight then most of the mf 2 engines.
I see ZX engines run up to 1 second faster a lap then you do with your JP, so they are not that bad......

Quote:
It's fast, but i don't like the powerband of it, it's really agressive on throttle compared to the jp which is really smooth.
Is the JP smooth, or soft on the bottom....

Don't get me wrong, everybody has it's own preferences, but price/performance/service wise the Mega engines are hard to beat.....
a piston/sleeve set for a .21 Novarossi engine is almost as expensive as a whole new Mega engine......

I have seen Novarossi engines:
- break a rod during break-in.
- Piston's shater into pieces after 3 gallons.
- premature bearing failure....

in all 3 these cases, NO warranty was given....
I have had a rod failure on my 3 gallon old ZX-21 DSI engine, Serpent gave me 40% discount on a new DSII engine.
I have seen a strange problem with a DSII engine, which was not tunable, Serpent gave the person a new piston/liner, which solved the problem...
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #1264
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
for your example you take a expensive, tuned engine with ceramic bearings against a standaard red dot.
Then it's really easy to come up with a price difference.
maybe it's better to buy a sts motor instead of a 353 because that difference is even greater

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 12-3 was Novarossi's top of the line .12 before the 353 right? I took the price for the standard plus 12 that I see here in the US, although I could have used the tuned version. Now the Picco P1-R EVO 2/Ofna Red Dot/Mega DSII are basically the same engine and is also Picco's top of the line .12. Now to me that is apples to apples. Sorry if you can't see can't see that.

btw is the jp powerband soother or maybe it's not as powerful as the Picco on the bottom. Just curious.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #1265
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismx123 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your explanation, it realy helps. But what is as Red dot? And why only change the rod twice? Was that an example?

luismx123
A Red Dot is the Ofna brand of the Picco P1-R EVO. It's very fast with good bottom and mid range. Stock out of the box it can run with anything out there modded or not. Best of all it's only $180.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #1266
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Um a piston and sleeve for a Mega engine costs about $80US right? When do you have to change it? Anything you can do to make it last longer? Any better ones out there for Mega .12 engines?

I don't own a nitro car yet so I'm asking as much as possible to make my best decision before I buy one. I want to know how long 1 gallon(4.5l) would last you racing and just bashing, and how long could you drive safely without changing the conrod and the piston/sleeve?(3 gallons, 4 gallons?)

luismx123
luismx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #1267
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi,

Um a piston and sleeve for a Mega engine costs about $80US right? When do you have to change it? Anything you can do to make it last longer? Any better ones out there for Mega .12 engines?

I don't own a nitro car yet so I'm asking as much as possible to make my best decision before I buy one. I want to know how long 1 gallon(4.5l) would last you racing and just bashing, and how long could you drive safely without changing the conrod and the piston/sleeve?(3 gallons, 4 gallons?)

luismx123
Yes you are correct, the piston/sleeve for the Mega ZX .12 engine is more or less US$80.00. and your RC Vehicle will last you 5 to 10 minutes per tankfull of gas if you are just bashing around normally the Fuel tank capacity for a Touring car is 75 cc,
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #1268
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

I've decided to buy a Serpent 710 RTR and it comes stock with the Mega SP12 engine. I've checked on the Serpent web site but I can't get any specs on the SP12. The site says everything about the ZX12 and MF12, but absolutely nothing on the SP12.

I just want to know if anyone knows how fast it is and if its worth buying.

If you know of any sites that say anything, please say so.

If you can help me, please do.
luismx123
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #1269
Tech Elite

How much cheaper is the SP compared to the Red Dot? Here is a link to the SP.

http://www.serpent.com/product/211000
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #1270
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Um the SP is about 160 euros and the Red Dot is about 150 euros.

How is that supposed to help??

luismx123
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #1271
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
I don't own a nitro car yet so I'm asking as much as possible to make my best decision before I buy one.
Luis, I've read some post of you recently in your decision which car you want to buy...

You said that a lot of 710 cars run on your track, so for support, the 710 for you is a good option.
Also because you are new in the nitro scene, the 710 RTR with the Mega SP engine is a good package.
Sure, the JL red dot might be the same price, but then you need to buy everything seperate, which will be more expensive, even if you just buy the 710 RTR, with Mega SP engine, and additional the JL red dot engine, for future use....

I missed if you are an experienced RC driver at all, but if you are not yet experience enough with Nitro engines, I suggest you learn your way with the SP engine, and run a faster engine later.....
Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #1272
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi,

Um the SP is about 160 euros and the Red Dot is about 150 euros.

How is that supposed to help??

luismx123
I didn't know the price of the SP, I assumed it was cheaper since you keep asking about it.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #1273
Tech Apprentice

Hi M7H,

Um well thats true that I'm new to nitro. About the engines, are you sure the SP12 is not as fast as the ZX12? The SP costs about $50US less than the ZX. I'm assuming that its still a good motor. What do you think?
The reason why I'm getting a 710 instead of a 720 is because it will save me about $200 which I can use for a new engine or extra parts for the car.
I'm still trying to find the SPs BHP and its max RPMs but I can't find the info. anywhere. If anyone knows a site, please tell me.

I am a bit confused on the replacing of engine parts. Usually, you need to replace the conrod every 2 gallons and the piston/sleeve after every three conrods. Is that right? Do you change the piston/sleeve on the third conrod or when your going to the forth? Are there any visible signs that can tell me when replacing is needed? Are there any other parts that need replacing?

luismx123
Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #1274
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi M7H,

Um well thats true that I'm new to nitro. About the engines, are you sure the SP12 is not as fast as the ZX12? The SP costs about $50US less than the ZX. I'm assuming that its still a good motor. What do you think?
The reason why I'm getting a 710 instead of a 720 is because it will save me about $200 which I can use for a new engine or extra parts for the car.
I'm still trying to find the SPs BHP and its max RPMs but I can't find the info. anywhere. If anyone knows a site, please tell me.

I am a bit confused on the replacing of engine parts. Usually, you need to replace the conrod every 2 gallons and the piston/sleeve after every three conrods. Is that right? Do you change the piston/sleeve on the third conrod or when your going to the forth? Are there any visible signs that can tell me when replacing is needed? Are there any other parts that need replacing?

luismx123
I've never ran the sp but with the right pipe I'm sure it will be fast. Just run what you can afford for now and upgrade later. Just my 2 cents.

Change rod about every 2 gallons is correct but that still varies, depends on how hard you run the engine. I've never had a guide for changing the P/S. I just run the engine and replace the rod on schedule. I've gotten 7-10 gallons on a p/s by then I buy a new engine. You will know when it's time because you start to lose compression.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #1275
M7H
Tech Elite

Luismx123,
The SP engine is not as fast as the ZX engine, but I would say it is the better choice for you.
People often want to buy the best car/engine combination there is, but most of the time can not handle the power.

Like quietstorm76, if you drive your engine hard, you need to replace parts on regular interval.

Let me give you an example.
If the engineers of a formula 1 engine let the engine give 10% less power, its life time will double....

I would suggest, you instead of keep asking around, just go for this RTR 710 kit, and enjoy it.
later when your engine is worn out, or if you are ready for more power, it is time to go and look for another engine.....

If on the other hand you keep asking around, I wish you luck, because you will hear LOTS of different stories and opinions, which will make your choice more difficult....

1 more thing:
Quote:
Don't believe some of the figures some manufacturers give on internet.
I know engines from manufacturers which claim to have more power then the "professional" engines, but why don't you see these engines used during racing then?.....