R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #1081
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
Yes you can use the Nova carb straight as it comes, but..... the problem is HEAT and as a result flame outs on long mains.
The original Mega/Picco carb is made of composite to insulate the mixture from heat of crankcase, but unfortunately very hard to set and to make it maintain the setting.

What I did is the same thing Orion and OS have on their aluminum carbs, they have an insulating sleeve on the throat, but you can't use those carbs because the throat is 13mm, so i took the nova carb reduced the throat to 10mm and placed a 2mm Teflon insulator....and as I said, it works so perfect that I'm now just driving and driving and forgot about the carb.

Tomorrow we have the penultimate race of our championship and I'm sure I'll make the main 1 hour no sweat, on top of it I'm getting 6.30 minutes per tank, because the carb works leaner.

AFM
Oh, now I undstand. I need to find a good machine shop...
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #1082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default my engine problems solved

hey guys

i thought my engine just had a rich low end but yesterday at thre track it was so crap...i ended up putting in a brand new mega carb same as the original and the engine ran awesome!
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:49 AM   #1083
M7H
Tech Elite

Well, as promised.....
This weekend I ran a 3 hour long teamrace.
A team has 3 drivers, and each driver should atleast make 45 minutes of runtime......
We qualified 4th, and also finished 4th, not a podium position, but after a 600+ lap race, finishing 2 laps down on the podium, I think it's worth mentioning........

My Mega DSII ran great and consistent during the whole race, of which took just over 1 hour to me. (split in 3 sessions of aprox. 20 minutes)

After checking the engine yesterday evening at home, it still get stuck at TDC, and the conrod is still in very good shape, Oh, and the engine is 5.5 liters (1.5 gallons) old.......
Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 AM   #1084
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
Well, as promised.....
This weekend I ran a 3 hour long teamrace.
A team has 3 drivers, and each driver should atleast make 45 minutes of runtime......
We qualified 4th, and also finished 4th, not a podium position, but after a 600+ lap race, finishing 2 laps down on the podium, I think it's worth mentioning........

My Mega DSII ran great and consistent during the whole race, of which took just over 1 hour to me. (split in 3 sessions of aprox. 20 minutes)

After checking the engine yesterday evening at home, it still get stuck at TDC, and the conrod is still in very good shape, Oh, and the engine is 5.5 liters (1.5 gallons) old.......

M7H .. how do you run in your engines mate ?

Thats very impressive
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #1085
M7H
Tech Elite

I use the "Josh Cyrul" methode.......
http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php

With a small change in this procedure, to speed it up a bit.....
- preheat engine with hairdryer
- run the engine full throttle (yes very rich) on the startbox for 3 tanks.
- cool down (15-30 Minutes)
- another 2 tanks full throttle
- close the main needle 1/2 turn
- 1 tank of throttle blipping (3 seconds idle, 3 seconds full throttle, 3 seconds idle,......)
- cool down (15-30 Minutes)
- hit the track with a leaner setting that the car will move, change your clutch to early engagement, otherwise you will burn the clutchshoe.
Now on every tank I lean the engine 1/8 of a turn, until it reaches the perfect mixture....

Should be there after 1 liter of fuel (about 1/3 of a gallon)....

A Mega engine doesn't have this huge pinch like a Nova has, so the stress on the conrod and main bearing is way less......
Changing conrod after break-in therefor is not neccesary in my opinion, I change them every 5 liters or so (1.5 gallon)
(Yes I will now change the conrod in my Mega, but the next time I will drive it will be somewhere in Feb/Mar next year, season is over now.....)

Also RickV from Mugen/Ninja shares this idea.....
http://www.rcjracing.com/e107_plugin...php?content.45

Last edited by M7H; 10-17-2006 at 05:24 AM.
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 AM   #1086
M7H
Tech Elite

There is 1 very important thing with the Mega ZX Picco based engines (so not the nova based MF) which a lot of drivers I see struggling with the engine don't know.
Run it on the rich side, never let the engine get to hot, not that it will immediately damage the engine, but it will damage the glowplug.
The plug wire should always look nice and shiny, if the first part of the wire doesn't look shiny anymore, the engine will start having flame-outs.....

Using these plugs in Nova based engine will work, so they don't have a problem with damaged plugs like Mega/Picco engines have......
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #1087
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H

Using these plugs in Nova based engine will work, so they don't have a problem with damaged plugs like Mega/Picco engines have......
Not shure what you mean by this!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #1088
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Not shure what you mean by this!
If the first part of the wire looks a bit "dull", so not "shiny" anymore, the engine might suffer from flame out problems.

When I used this same plug in my Max MF, the MF engine had no problem with it......

With the new Novarossi exhaust pipe "2052"
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=4363
the Mega ZX engine should work better, with less flame out problems, but I haven't tried this pipe yet, season is over here, will try it next year......

Hope you understand what I mean.....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #1089
Tech Elite

Last edited by duneland; 10-17-2006 at 08:15 AM. Reason: double post
Old 10-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #1090
Tech Elite

What I was wondering about was brand of plug. Are you talking about using the same brand plug in Nova & Picco? If so which one?
I was told that Nova plugs were not the ones to go with for the Mega/Picco.
I have been using OS because they were readily available from one of the distributors that I deal with on a daily basis. The OS seals well, but I have been having problems with plug life.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #1091
M7H
Tech Elite

Read carefully, I use the Picco plug in the Nova engine, not the other way around...
Old 10-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #1092
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

has anyone run the 3rd generation rods for the 12 megas yet? Got mine yesterday and just curious if anyone else has.
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #1093
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default ZX21 rear bearing

Does anyone know if the novarossi rear bearing fits the ZX21 case?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #1094
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
has anyone run the 3rd generation rods for the 12 megas yet? Got mine yesterday and just curious if anyone else has.
Hey mark did you run that motor at temp yet? How was the power. Do you need more or did it wake up. I will be at the track around 8:30 on sat. I only need about 5 minutes to help you if you still need.
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 AM   #1095
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dj,
Not up to fulltemp yet. But the rod is change and ready for this upcoming weekend. I'll let you know what I think. But judging by the revs compared to my Previuos Mega. It may work well at Kiss.
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote