R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #1021
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass2500
I bought the DS-II .21 when it came available a few months ago. It ran well but I had the conrod break on me today... chewed up the internals pretty good. So now I have to buy a new motor.(
And how many liters/gallons old was your conrod?....
Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #1022
Tech Elite

Well this weekend was the first race for our series here in Florida. It was very hot with track temps in the 140's. Track conditions were slick and I could not find a set up the entire weekend. But, I ran my Maxy modified zx12, NOT a dsII, and it was balistic, probably to much for the track conditions. This motor combined with the maxy 30%, was a fast combo. The low, mid and top were very amazing. Motor was shimmed to .50 and after every run I would check the plug and it was a golden color, the fuel is burning very clean.

Thanks Maxy, the motor was great, I wish I could have gotten the car better to show the true power of the motor. I think every time I adjusted the car it went backwards. Just one of the those weekends. Next race is the kissimmee track. This track is my favorite track in the U.S.
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #1023
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
And how many liters/gallons old was your conrod?....

All the parts were original, and I had only a little over a gallon through it.
seabass2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #1024
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Conrod failure...

--- Conrod Picture ---

Last edited by seabass2500; 12-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.
seabass2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 AM   #1025
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass2500
All the parts were original, and I had only a little over a gallon through it.
Including break-in?.....

But ok, maybe you can go to your LHS, and let them send it back to Serpent....

But as you opened the engine yourself, this might be difficult, because I know Serpent has a great aftersales department, but they like to see the engine in the shape it was when the failure occured.......
Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #1026
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

where is the brass bushing for the big end bearing ? looks like that may have failed first and the alloy has had a solid hit by the crank pin on the up stroke. im looking in my manual, for the zx12, and recomends conrod replacement at around 5 hrs of use. as i dont know how much a gallon is, maybe like just under 4 litres. thats probably around 4 hrs of use, excluding run in. maybe a conrod change at around a gallon is required ?
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #1027
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
where is the brass bushing for the big end bearing ? looks like that may have failed first and the alloy has had a solid hit by the crank pin on the up stroke. im looking in my manual, for the zx12, and recomends conrod replacement at around 5 hrs of use. as i dont know how much a gallon is, maybe like just under 4 litres. thats probably around 4 hrs of use, excluding run in. maybe a conrod change at around a gallon is required ?
I believe Serpent USA recommend replacing the Con-Rod every gallon of use, and in Europe they normally run 16% nitro whereas we run 30%, but I know during big events the Serpent team replaces the con-rod every hour of racing.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #1028
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

there we go ! every gallon of fuel.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #1029
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
I believe Serpent USA recommend replacing the Con-Rod every gallon of use, and in Europe they normally run 16% nitro whereas we run 30%, but I know during big events the Serpent team replaces the con-rod every hour of racing.
we are talking .21 DSII, not .12, so instead of 16% Nitro in Europe, we run 25%, against 40% ? for you guys?.......

But yes, the recommendation for conrod replacement is somewhere between 5-8 hours of driving, I would recommend every 5 liters of 25% fuel, which is around 1.3 gallon. So for 30-40% fuel, 1 gallon is a nice interval.......

It also depends heavily on how you drive, if you are a fast driver, you tend to ask more from your engine then if you are a more relaxed driver.......

Nevertheless this failure just over a gallon is a shame it happend, so contact Serpent via your LHS, and see what they can do for you......
Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 AM   #1030
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default just finished bench tuning my .21 dsII

I bench tuned my mega dsII .21 tonight
i got this engine used from a mate that hardly had an run time on it at all..

when i got it i stripped it all apart, cleaned it and put it back together sealing the base of the carb and high speed need assembly.

i started the tune with the high speed needle flush and the low end about 1.5mm out. This was way rich and would not idle at all. i got the high speed needle set close so that it revs to top end cleanly then started to lean the low end to achive a 20second+ clean idle.

ill finish tuning the top end on the track but i guess the low end is close..after a hard rev and i pinch the fuel line near the carb it revs up for 2 seconds then almost stalls. the low end needle is only just showing outside the carb needle.
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #1031
Tech Elite

how do these engines like to run?

rich or lean bottom end?
i drive on a long flowing track with a couple of slow and fast corners.

sorry for these questions guys im just used to tuning os engines, ive only ever had os engines, im not sure how different these are. i do notice that this engine sounds so much more aggressive than my os vzr
Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 AM   #1032
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr
how do these engines like to run?

rich or lean bottom end?
Rich bottom end......
And only start leaning out the bottom end (if neccesary) after the engine has warmed up properly (give the engine around 3 minutes to warm up properly)
Old 09-15-2006, 01:31 AM   #1033
Tech Elite

guys may i ask what is the difference between tuning a mega engine and os engine.. i hear many stories about eaqch engine being tuned in a different way. eg: on a novarossi you turn the high speed needle one turn like the os 1/4 turn

is this true ?

im new to the mega zx .21 dsII
Old 09-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #1034
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr
guys may i ask what is the difference between tuning a mega engine and os engine.. i hear many stories about eaqch engine being tuned in a different way. eg: on a novarossi you turn the high speed needle one turn like the os 1/4 turn

is this true ?

im new to the mega zx .21 dsII
I have not run a os motor, but for the mega's a little is a lot. Move the needles little bits at a time.

D.J. Apolaro
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 PM   #1035
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Warmac

Hey guys, does anyone have any problems with the exhaust gasket being eaten on a regular basis? I am having a current problem with my ZX15 outlaw package. The gasket (bet. engine and header) keeps getting damaged and pieces end up in the pipe like after a tank or so. It has happened so often that I now consider myself an expert of getting the rubber pieces out of the pipe .

What could I be doing wrong? What is the proper method of installing that gasket?

Also, I've noticed that that gasket is kinda unique to the mega (like the glow plug). Right now I have one from sirio since I've run out of originals.
Warmac is offline   Reply With Quote