R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Mega Plugs......I know the Mega engine needs a Mega plug, but I don't have the engines anymore but still have several plugs. Will they work in Novarossi engines?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:04 AM   #542
M7H
Tech Elite

I've checked my Mega plugs in my NM EVO5, and they fit, so yes it will work......
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 AM   #543
M7H
Tech Elite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo
i had two of mega .21 engines by picco.

what a dissapointment....

absolutely no bottom power, though it is so celebrated.

we all had to have larger clutch-gaps and more spreeng preload to engage it alter, it is even recommended by their "team" drivers. its a bit of contrast to what commercial says!

and reliability was also poor. ok, first we had to change our shafts because of a pin problem. ok, at least it was for free.....

and every single .21 mega that was sold here had problems with carburator. they all jammed during driving, some of them got lucky and had idle status jam, many of us got full throttle jam. it was done because of idle screw scratching on slide and making some sort of chips of material that slide is made from. very disturbing indeed....

well, .12 engines are very different story. outsdanding performance, temperature tenacious engine! respect!!!!
just have to replace conrod every ~5 hours, but thats the only so far found imperfection!

so, quite opposite .12 vs .21 experience...

but i belive that in short time picco will be able to offer us even reliable and powerful .21 engine!

p.s.: dont contradict me about their team drivers beating every track record, they dont drive the angines that i or you can buy at local store!
No bottom power?......
strange.....
A good clutch set-up is a must, that's wright, but then it's a rocket out of the corner (and You will have understeer with your MRX4 )

Problems with the carb.?.....
Just be sure, that You line-up the servo carb. connection in a straight line, no problems then.......
Old 07-13-2005, 06:11 AM   #544
elo
Tech Rookie

hello!

it has all been done as good as possible, but stilll no "asskick" performance.
i also tyed different clutch shoes, mugen extra hard and hard spring...

Mega by Picco just could not compare to Maxpowers .21MF, not even to bottom power of Novarossi SS

back than i was still driving 950r, i own mugen just for 2 weeks!

tnx and bye!
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:25 AM   #545
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo
....Mega by Picco just could not compare to Maxpowers .21MF, not even to bottom power of Novarossi SS
Fair enough.....

Quote:
back than i was still driving 950r, i own mugen just for 2 weeks!
tnx and bye!
That's a shame, the new 960 really overclassed the MRX4 last race........
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #546
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, This is true.. And what Motors did they run. Oh yea. Mega's
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #547
elo
Tech Rookie

even in one magazine they say that mega, the big brother, is not so good as small one...

and as a reply to last writer, please read what i have written. they did not run the stock engines.

and i also dont want to start serpent vs mugen war here. let everybody enjoy his own ride... got the idea?

and also i am not an amercian, ok?

tnx!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #548
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100

Hi all, I give ZERO comment to the zx21. To be frank, the serpent guys here all switch back to Nova Max from ZX21. I did try both 21 and 12 and my impression is ZX12 has always on top of 21 class in performance wise. The ZX21 is nothing to be compared with Novamega...........
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #549
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite
Default mega plug nova engine :confused:

i measured the conical on mega (picco) plugs compared to nova plugs a few months back and found the conical on mega (picco) plug was .2mm larger then a nova based turbo plug.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:53 AM   #550
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy100
Hi all, I give ZERO comment to the zx21. To be frank, the serpent guys here all switch back to Nova Max from ZX21. I did try both 21 and 12 and my impression is ZX12 has always on top of 21 class in performance wise. The ZX21 is nothing to be compared with Novamega...........
I think the ZX-21 is a bit of an "underdog"
don't forget that the idea was to make a "affordable" engine...
It is an engine which is A LOT cheaper then a NM based ones....

Offcourse we want the best in performance, but my ZX-21 is faster then my EVO5 is...........
I can proof it with laptimes......
Old 07-14-2005, 02:19 AM   #551
elo
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
I think the ZX-21 is a bit of an "underdog"
don't forget that the idea was to make a "affordable" engine...
It is an engine which is A LOT cheaper then a NM based ones....

Offcourse we want the best in performance, but my ZX-21 is faster then my EVO5 is...........
I can proof it with laptimes......
yes, the price-performance of zx21 is good, specially if you get them by serpent-series pack price, wich is about 250 for zx21 powerpack here where i live...
with a full price of 350 (420$) just for engine it is not so affordable, however it is still cheaper than most engines...

but if you go for the top power, you dont pay attention to the price... its a trouble that makes this hobby to stagnate a bit... it was all mentioned in an article by peter b. from serpent a while ago!

but if you get a better laptime with mega than evo5, there is something wrong with evo...

kind regards!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #552
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just because his Mega seems to be faster ( lap time ) then the Evo5 , Doesn't mean something is wrong with the Evo5 . Maybe the track he runs on is better suited for the Mega. Maybe it's a smaller track. I know a few of us run the Megas On our smaller tracks And Our ( lap times are the same as running any other motors we have. Max, Nova's , Jp's , Collari. Not fighting with ya. Just voicing an opinion.Got the Idea ??
Oh and just so you know I am American.?????
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
Just because his Mega seems to be faster ( lap time ) then the Evo5 , Doesn't mean something is wrong with the Evo5 . Maybe the track he runs on is better suited for the Mega. Maybe it's a smaller track. I know a few of us run the Megas On our smaller tracks And Our ( lap times are the same as running any other motors we have. Max, Nova's , Jp's , Collari. Not fighting with ya. Just voicing an opinion.Got the Idea ??
Remember it all comes down to driver too.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #554
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
i agreed with you that if running in a smaller track without too much top speed, the Zx21 should be able to handle. However,in the long straight it is obvious that the ZX21 is not comparable to those Nova base motor (kangaroo, 321p), RB or Novamega. Although,there could be exception to Michael and Rick V's Zx21 which they are pretty fast in the long straight................
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #555
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy100
i agreed with you that if running in a smaller track without too much top speed, the Zx21 should be able to handle. However,in the long straight it is obvious that the ZX21 is not comparable to those Nova base motor (kangaroo, 321p), RB or Novamega. Although,there could be exception to Michael and Rick V's Zx21 which they are pretty fast in the long straight................
It's a matter of choice, if you add 0.1-0.2mm of headshims, it will have the top speed, but less bottom.......