R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #481
Tech Regular

I heard from a Serpent dealer that new conrods will be available in a couple of weeks. The new engines that will be available will have these rods as well. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:21 PM   #482
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default Re: Conrods

Yeah, its one of the reasons I havent bought a Mega Picco. I went with a used RB V12 Rody instead which has less than 2 gallons through it. Even when Serpent releases the new conrods, I'll wait for everyone to test it out and see if it really solved the problem.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #483
Regional Moderator

Almost all the conrods are broken at the same place. Yes, heavier conrod will produce less RPM but stronger doesn't always means "heavy". If they can come up with better and stronger material than only thicker rod it will be a step forward...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #484
Tech Addict

Default Shaving the carb blocks

I have a mega that wont take a tune and i have read that this maybe due to the carb bocks being to long and the may need a grind, my carb is very tight in the engine block does this mean that my carb blocks are the right length?
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #485
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

hey brett.w.

i havent shaved anything off the carb retainers as my carb seems to be fine atm, i did however take the o-ring out that sits in the bottom of the carb, not the one thats at the top. i had a similar problem with my engine to begin with, my problem was my carb was leaking between the nipple the fuel line connects too and the washer on the top of the carb - local dealer swapped the carb and now runs like clock work, and holds its tune well. you could only pick up the leak under acceleration too.

this may not be your problem, but its something you can look out for.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 AM   #486
M7H
Tech Elite

leave the bottom o-ring in, it's isn't there just for the fun.....

press the carb onto this o-ring and tighten the screw......

FYI, in a ZX-21 engine the bottom o-ring is situated in the engine and not in the carb.

Last edited by M7H; 06-09-2005 at 03:11 AM.
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #487
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite
hey brett.w.

i havent shaved anything off the carb retainers as my carb seems to be fine atm, i did however take the o-ring out that sits in the bottom of the carb, not the one thats at the top. i had a similar problem with my engine to begin with, my problem was my carb was leaking between the nipple the fuel line connects too and the washer on the top of the carb - local dealer swapped the carb and now runs like clock work, and holds its tune well. you could only pick up the leak under acceleration too.

this may not be your problem, but its something you can look out for.
Thanks for the Tip

Are you racing at the winternats?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:18 AM   #488
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ZX12

Hi guy's just looking for some information.I run one of the ZX12 motors just wondering what would be the best glow plug to run i currently have 5&6 colds are they any good,& what is the difference between 5,6,7 .
Cheers Brett
gunna do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:48 AM   #489
Tech Regular

Depending on what % nitro you are running. But I run a #5 cold plug with 30%. If you go to a #7 cold plug you will notice the motor wants to ( load up ) faster & the Needle is a bit more sensitive to the turns you make to them. I have played with 5,6 & 7's & the motor responds & runs it's best with a #5 cold with 30%.
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:59 AM   #490
Tech Adept

Default zx12

Hi mate it's Brett again i run a ZX12 3 port.I use AT racing fuel 16% with 4&4 oil content.I run it in a Kyosho RRR with either a Mega pipe or a Novarossi.
Hope that gives you a bit more information.
Cheers Brett
gunna do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #491
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Picco always had a problem with their .12's conrod and obviously they haven't fixed it yet.

I still have 3 Picco .12's which are fast as hell, but I would never use one of them in a long race.
I have seen too many rods go south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
It's gotten to the point of these newer motors are making so much Power & torque that you are starting to find weak spots. You don't see Top fuel Funny cars making more then 1 pass down the track before rebuilding the motor. Same with nascar Or Formula 1 . they run 1 - 2 races for formula 1 now , And Nascar goes 500 miles. It's called the RAGGED Edge

I don't think it is so much being a ( cheap material ) as too the rpm that this zx 12 can turn. It's like it will never flatten out.... but something has to give.that being the rod.I think a newer rod is in the works but I also think it will lower the RPMs because of the weight of the rod. if they make it thicker.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:54 AM   #492
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
You should be able to get a true CARB. Sealant From your local hobby shop.
I use Permatex grey Thread sealant ..(((( NOT THREAD LOCK ))).
Then I just take the fuel nipple screw loose apply some on the threads , then on top & bottom of the fuel nipple. The the High end needle out ( count your turns ) Apply some on the threads & seal. Same for the low end needle. Then as you incert the carb into the block. Use a thin coat around the base of the carb where it touches the block when it is totaly down.Apply it first then push down. . .
Try to be careful not to apply too much around the neck base of the carb. and the needle areas. You don't want this stuff to get sucked up into the carb. So do yourself a favor and take your time.

Try to find the true RC carb sealant. I would hate for you to get the wrong thing.
is there anything i can get from a car store as the hobbyshops dont stock this sealant

Thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #493
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Yes,
The Permatex I was talking about is from a auto store. But be sure you are getting Thread selant ( some stores call it Anti seaz) Please be sure you don't get lock tight. Hate to know I would confuse you And do the wrong thing. I hope this helps.
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #494
Tech Addict

Brett: the newer megapicco motors seem to have a metal sleave that the carb fits onto so leaking wont be a problem in the future.

also have you checked all your o-rings as they seem to come dry from the factory which in my opinion is terrible.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #495
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Brett: the newer megapicco motors seem to have a metal sleave that the carb fits onto so leaking wont be a problem in the future.

also have you checked all your o-rings as they seem to come dry from the factory which in my opinion is terrible.

Mike
Hi Mike

Do you know were we can get these orings from in New Zealand, its just im off to Aussie next week and realy need some!