R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #406
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default Re: Modded

Also, did any 710 with Mega Picco run at the Las Vegas RD Logics Competition? I heard Barry Baker won and TQ with a NTC3 and a Murnan Modified X-12.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #407
Tech Regular

I think there were 2 or 3 in the A main. I heard they had plenty of power. One guy came out due to Radio trouble, don't know what happened to the others. BUt he told me they had plenty of power.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #408
Tech Fanatic

Default NSW State Championships

I was at the State Championships in Sydney Australia and saw the A Main Final which D. Campbell deservedly won. He drove a fantastic race. Just on the engines, the Mega's were not the fastest. The RB V12 Rody engines were very quick although the quickest was the JP of Simon Camileri; JP/Mugen factory driver in Australia. The most breakeges and failures happened with Sirio engines, closely followed by Mega. Mega Conrods, Sirio crankhafts!
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:51 AM   #409
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Con-rods in need of replacing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Hey Deniz.
No it doesn't loose compression faster.
12 engines has smaller piston diameter and tollerances on smoller sizes are tighter then on bigger. If you look 60, 65 or 90 size engines, they last much longer. Pistons there is etween 25-29 mm diameter and tollerances there is much greater.
Edward
I know they are not loosing compression, all I can see is perfect fit between them thus being the easiest to be broken in. Just wish other respectable poster behave like the way you do. Two thumbs up for you man..

Riketsu... it does not matter if they are modified or not and the Serpent Factory team does not HAVE to run them in stock if there isn`t rule in the event.
PS: I tried to broke my .12 Mega conrod but I lost my patient after 2 gallons of 30% Bryron fuel and 1 gallon of 30% trinity platinum (8% oil content) fuel. I gave it to one of the racer to continue using it until it breaks. I`m sure Daniz will post it again when times come
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:00 AM   #410
Tech Regular

Default Feast or Famine

Man what an incredible mess. This weekend was the Florida Regionals and I had hoped to have a nice showing. This engine is all or nothing for me. This weekend was a complete waste for me because of the engine. I really should have changed it after the first qualifier, but I was just stubborn. I can't get the thing to run consistent. My first heat it was actually running great in warmups. Then at the start it died as I came out of the pits. No problem, pit man got it going again and off i went. Lacking a little bottom, but I could live with it. Then I took a little tumble and it shut off. By the time pit man got it back and running the qualifier was about to end. Thing is, the car traction rolled once, and landed upright, I've done this coutless times and the engine has stayed on. Before the next heat, I completely had to retune the engine. During the heat, it overheated and lost power, so I just pulled off. Heat #3 came and again I completely had to retune the thing. it was running terrible but I had to get in a qualifer as it was the last one for the day. But I just didn't have the power to keep up with anyone. Luckily my front belt snapped so I didn't have to slug around the track slowing the guys up. 3 of the guys from my heat wound up in the A-main and I know I can run with them. Oh well. THe only thing that keeps my head up is that there were other guys with the same problem with the engine as well. It really is a mystery.

There was one more heat and then mains scheduled for sunday but we got rained out. I had finally switched to my JP overnight but never got to run it. Here's the kicker. After my drive back home I went to my local track, and not 10 minutes in with the JP I had that thing flying. Took me 5 minutes to reset my needles, then just a few more tuning it and it didn't miss a beat. Lesson learned. Big race, don't fight an engine, just change the damn thing. I'll give the Mega another try next month after our State series Trophy race. The thing that keeps me wanting to come back is that when it DOES work, it's great, but man what a pain in the @$$ it is to get going.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #411
Tech Fanatic

i agree with you... when that motor is on, it is on. but when it don't want to run, forget about it. also, the engine is new so maybe with more development this engine will be good. when i first ran my mega, i was very happy and impressed. i really felt that i had an edge on everyone who was not running it. in my qualifiers it was ballisitic. but when i took it to the main, it did stall 3 times... i am going to wait and see if these problems can get corrected. if they do get fixed, i will run the engine. i probably will even buy another one soon just to see if maybe i got one from a bad batch or something. it is hard not to want to run this engine because it has super power. but at the same time, with the current downfalls it has, it is impossible to race with... let's wait and see!!!
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #412
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default Re: Re: Modded

Quote:
Originally posted by Riketsu
Also, did any 710 with Mega Picco run at the Las Vegas RD Logics Competition? I heard Barry Baker won and TQ with a NTC3 and a Murnan Modified X-12.
Yes there were 3 or 4 guys from Serpent at this race. Some of them did make the main, but all these guys were having problems, many engine related.

Barry did not TQ, he was 2nd qualifier. TQ was Ron Atomic with the new OS TZ engine.

I only know the top 3 details.

Baker NTC3 Murnan modded x12
Ishitani Mugen JP
Fisher Mugen Novarossi hotmod

I can say this much. On the 2nd day of quals we had reshuffled and I was in the same qual as Paulo Morganti. His car was so fast he made mine look as though I was dragging a parachute. Once main time came around, those guys started having problems.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #413
Tech Elite

Default mega .12 engines

I am responding to to some of this negative talk about these new mega engines from serpent. Let me start by say we went to the RD Logics race in vegas and had a great time. These engines out of the box are ballistic and easy to tune. We ran against some of the best in Vegas and we had the faster motors in my opinion. No one had more power, we were as equal as anyone else. I also just ran the Region 4 race in Ft Myers, Fl. We got to run 3 qualifiers, but then got rained out. I personally TQ'd and took the win, since the rainout. I will say in Vegas we had 3 of the motors in the main and in the Region 4 we had at least 5 in the top ten with the top 3 having the new megas. I am very happy with the performance and remember, before judging a product, make sure you are using it properly.
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #414
Tech Fanatic

Personally I had no problems with my Mega at the region 4 championships. Motor had wicked bottom and top end making the car ballistic. I did have to adjust the needle a little going into the third qualifier due to climate and track conditions, other than that no problems it was fun and cant wait for nationals. Too bad the race got cancelled due to rain I was looking forward to running my fourth qualifier and the main.

By the way congratz to our new Region 4 champ- Dj Apolaro

Robert Maestrey
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #415
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: mega .12 engines

Quote:
Originally posted by dj apolaro
I am responding to to some of this negative talk about these new mega engines from serpent. Let me start by say we went to the RD Logics race in vegas and had a great time. These engines out of the box are ballistic and easy to tune. We ran against some of the best in Vegas and we had the faster motors in my opinion. No one had more power, we were as equal as anyone else. I also just ran the Region 4 race in Ft Myers, Fl. We got to run 3 qualifiers, but then got rained out. I personally TQ'd and took the win, since the rainout. I will say in Vegas we had 3 of the motors in the main and in the Region 4 we had at least 5 in the top ten with the top 3 having the new megas. I am very happy with the performance and remember, before judging a product, make sure you are using it properly.
there is one important thing here, that this is a forum to talk constructively about r/c related issues. everything that has been said is true of the mega. it is not all negative talk. if you read back, you will see many comments on the positive side as well as the negative side. if this forum only stated what is great about the mega, conumers would not be able to make educated decisions in their purchases.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #416
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: mega .12 engines

[remember, before judging a product, make sure you are using it properly. [/B][/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion and giving negative response. If they are valid. Refer to the quote above...Dj never mentioned not to give negative feedback ......

before judging a product, make sure you are using it properly

Robert Maestrey
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #417
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: mega .12 engines

Quote:
Originally posted by robert maestrey
[remember, before judging a product, make sure you are using it properly.
using it properly? at the winternats dj was pitting me. i had art carbonnel tune my engine before goint out to my qualifers... i guess it was not used properly... when my engine was leaning out to 330+ at go racing, paolo was out there helping me with my engine the entrie day... so if the engine can not be "used properly" by paolo or art, then who is going to use it properly. also, to everyone elso, be careful who you take advice from... it might be biased (you might be chatting with a sponsored driver)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #418
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: mega .12 engines

double post by accident.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #419
Tech Elite

Remember all feedback is good, that is how we learn and get ideas. But, as a racer to call out a person or product should not be done in public. In the winternats you did nothing but talk up the new serpent products you were using, until you had a bad race. Then the product was bad. You say Art and Paolo helped you are they couldn't figure it out. Remember they did not go through your car and solve the problem, but were just helping you trackside. They did not test any of the things that contribute to engine problems ie lines, exhaust, carb, filter, plugs, They were just trying to lend a helpful hand, just like to rest of use, that seem "not to do right by you". I will not make any other responces to this topic, but think it is a shame that this forum has gotten to this. Hope that you find the magic solutions to what seems to be a common problem for you, as your novarossi based engine this weekend did not seem to make you happy either.

Best regards
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #420
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by dj apolaro
Remember all feedback is good, that is how we learn and get ideas. But, as a racer to call out a person or product should not be done in public. In the winternats you did nothing but talk up the new serpent products you were using, until you had a bad race. Then the product was bad. You say Art and Paolo helped you are they couldn't figure it out. Remember they did not go through your car and solve the problem, but were just helping you trackside. They did not test any of the things that contribute to engine problems ie lines, exhaust, carb, filter, plugs, They were just trying to lend a helpful hand, just like to rest of use, that seem "not to do right by you". I will not make any other responces to this topic, but think it is a shame that this forum has gotten to this. Hope that you find the magic solutions to what seems to be a common problem for you, as your novarossi based engine this weekend did not seem to make you happy either.

Best regards
this is a public forum to discuss topics. so, i guess we should all private message each other to discuss things??? i never said the product was totally bad. if you read back, you will see a comment where i stated this engine was probably the fastest... i said how i probably would buy another soon... paolo did not go through my car? you were not even at go racing when he helped me. we went through practically everything... what is this "not to do right by you". i have never stuck my finger at one single person and said they did not do a good job for me. the first thing i did after my main in the winternats was go to you and shake your had and thank you for the help. so for you to say that i blamed someone to have not done right by me, is totally not true. it is ashame you take constructive criticism about a r/c product so personal.