R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #331
M7H
Tech Elite

Adjust the carb to fit the new fuel should be enough......

Breaking it in again?.....

Even between 2 cans of fuel of the same brand can be a small difference in the exact contents.........
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #332
teo
Tech Initiate

I was wondering what kind of lifespan I can expect for the pistor/liner set. I have run about 3-4 liters (1 gallon) so far and the engine has not much compression (Just feeling, turning the flywheel). But it could still last I while I guess..
Any experiences?

Sorry if this has been asked before but didn't see it..
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #333
Tech Apprentice

Mega engine don't last long for me....but it's fast!!!!
sweet wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #334
Tech Fanatic

then engine will not seem like much compression even when brand new... but that does not matter. it will run for more time... but after each gallon of fuel, you should change the conrod, they do break often in this engine. also, my engine in particular ran great for 3/4 of a gallon and now it just leans out for no reason. i have tried everything, but i can not fix this problem... unfortunately, i like the power of the engine, but will be racing novarossi now.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #335
Tech Regular

I have very mixed feelings about the engine. WHen it's working it's absolutely spectacular. But I can't tune the damn thing for my life. It's been about 3/4 gallon and I also feel "low" on compression in comparison to previous engines. My previous engine was a JP FX12T03S and that thing was easy to tune and damn fast. Oh well. I'm going to see if I can get the hang of it this weekend, if not It might become a paperweight for me.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #336
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzoY5
I have very mixed feelings about the engine. WHen it's working it's absolutely spectacular. But I can't tune the damn thing for my life. It's been about 3/4 gallon and I also feel "low" on compression in comparison to previous engines. My previous engine was a JP FX12T03S and that thing was easy to tune and damn fast. Oh well. I'm going to see if I can get the hang of it this weekend, if not It might become a paperweight for me.
atleast we will have the nicest paperweights (maybe not the most reliable but definitely the fastest!!!)
Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #337
Tech Prophet

Guys, about piston tightness and compression, please refer to Julius' earlier post below.

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
The tightness is less but stays, where last years Nova's would be extremely tight and lose their compression very quickly.

It is not about how tight the set is. It is about how well it seals. You'll also find the Mega engines to be tight only at the very top part, where Nova engines tend to betighter a lot earlier in the stroke.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #338
Tech Rookie

Default Correct head shims for ZX21

Could someone from Serpent reply with information regarding head shims on the ZX21? I have added .1mm shim to my motor to run 30%, but it seemed to rob the engine of some low speed torque. Another person I know is running 30% with the stock shims. His engine is running very cool, no glow plug problems etc. I'm considering taking out the extra .1, but would like to know if anyone from Serpent is running 30% with the stock configuration of head shims.

Thanks in advance!
craigbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #339
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Correct head shims for ZX21

Quote:
Originally posted by craigbaker
Could someone from Serpent reply with information regarding head shims on the ZX21? I have added .1mm shim to my motor to run 30%, but it seemed to rob the engine of some low speed torque. Another person I know is running 30% with the stock shims. His engine is running very cool, no glow plug problems etc. I'm considering taking out the extra .1, but would like to know if anyone from Serpent is running 30% with the stock configuration of head shims.

Thanks in advance!
you will loose some bottom end but your top end should improve(it did on my .12)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #340
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does the Zx-12 need any shims from the stock setup to run 30%?
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #341
Regional Moderator

My friend's Mega .15 engine only lasts about 2 heats before the conrod blow and broke the engine internals

I think the head clearance is different from one to other engine so you can't measure just the shim only to get proper compression shimming. Another my friend's Mega was eating plug almost every 10-15 minutes of running. but this thing is surely fast on the straight...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #342
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Guys, about piston tightness and compression, please refer to Julius' earlier post below.
Yes, I agree. The break-in process on the Nova based engine is pretty critical for it's life and performance.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx
Does the Zx-12 need any shims from the stock setup to run 30%?
no it doesnt need any shims. it already comes with 3 head shims.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #344
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
My friend's Mega .15 engine only lasts about 2 heats before the conrod blow and broke the engine internals

I think the head clearance is different from one to other engine so you can't measure just the shim only to get proper compression shimming. Another my friend's Mega was eating plug almost every 10-15 minutes of running. but this thing is surely fast on the straight...
when its running right, otherwise you better be fast to picking it up off the straight
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #345
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by joemugen
when its running right, otherwise you better be fast to picking it up off the straight
WHy you always gotta be so negative about everything JoeMugen? Haven't you ever heard of the glass being half FULL?
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote