R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #331
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Adjust the carb to fit the new fuel should be enough......

Breaking it in again?.....

Even between 2 cans of fuel of the same brand can be a small difference in the exact contents.........
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #332
teo
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 35
Default

I was wondering what kind of lifespan I can expect for the pistor/liner set. I have run about 3-4 liters (1 gallon) so far and the engine has not much compression (Just feeling, turning the flywheel). But it could still last I while I guess..
Any experiences?

Sorry if this has been asked before but didn't see it..
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #333
Tech Apprentice
 
sweet wasabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 83
Default

Mega engine don't last long for me....but it's fast!!!!
sweet wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #334
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Florida
Posts: 937
Default

then engine will not seem like much compression even when brand new... but that does not matter. it will run for more time... but after each gallon of fuel, you should change the conrod, they do break often in this engine. also, my engine in particular ran great for 3/4 of a gallon and now it just leans out for no reason. i have tried everything, but i can not fix this problem... unfortunately, i like the power of the engine, but will be racing novarossi now.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #335
Tech Regular
 
gonzoY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 392
Default

I have very mixed feelings about the engine. WHen it's working it's absolutely spectacular. But I can't tune the damn thing for my life. It's been about 3/4 gallon and I also feel "low" on compression in comparison to previous engines. My previous engine was a JP FX12T03S and that thing was easy to tune and damn fast. Oh well. I'm going to see if I can get the hang of it this weekend, if not It might become a paperweight for me.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #336
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Florida
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzoY5
I have very mixed feelings about the engine. WHen it's working it's absolutely spectacular. But I can't tune the damn thing for my life. It's been about 3/4 gallon and I also feel "low" on compression in comparison to previous engines. My previous engine was a JP FX12T03S and that thing was easy to tune and damn fast. Oh well. I'm going to see if I can get the hang of it this weekend, if not It might become a paperweight for me.
atleast we will have the nicest paperweights (maybe not the most reliable but definitely the fastest!!!)
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #337
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Guys, about piston tightness and compression, please refer to Julius' earlier post below.

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
The tightness is less but stays, where last years Nova's would be extremely tight and lose their compression very quickly.

It is not about how tight the set is. It is about how well it seals. You'll also find the Mega engines to be tight only at the very top part, where Nova engines tend to betighter a lot earlier in the stroke.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #338
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1
Default Correct head shims for ZX21

Could someone from Serpent reply with information regarding head shims on the ZX21? I have added .1mm shim to my motor to run 30%, but it seemed to rob the engine of some low speed torque. Another person I know is running 30% with the stock shims. His engine is running very cool, no glow plug problems etc. I'm considering taking out the extra .1, but would like to know if anyone from Serpent is running 30% with the stock configuration of head shims.

Thanks in advance!
craigbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #339
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,205
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Correct head shims for ZX21

Quote:
Originally posted by craigbaker
Could someone from Serpent reply with information regarding head shims on the ZX21? I have added .1mm shim to my motor to run 30%, but it seemed to rob the engine of some low speed torque. Another person I know is running 30% with the stock shims. His engine is running very cool, no glow plug problems etc. I'm considering taking out the extra .1, but would like to know if anyone from Serpent is running 30% with the stock configuration of head shims.

Thanks in advance!
you will loose some bottom end but your top end should improve(it did on my .12)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #340
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Does the Zx-12 need any shims from the stock setup to run 30%?
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #341
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

My friend's Mega .15 engine only lasts about 2 heats before the conrod blow and broke the engine internals

I think the head clearance is different from one to other engine so you can't measure just the shim only to get proper compression shimming. Another my friend's Mega was eating plug almost every 10-15 minutes of running. but this thing is surely fast on the straight...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #342
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Guys, about piston tightness and compression, please refer to Julius' earlier post below.
Yes, I agree. The break-in process on the Nova based engine is pretty critical for it's life and performance.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #343
Tech Master
 
roadrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL.
Posts: 1,224
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx
Does the Zx-12 need any shims from the stock setup to run 30%?
no it doesnt need any shims. it already comes with 3 head shims.
__________________
Austin Wolfe
Serpent America-Trinity/Revtech-www.ActivRC.com
roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #344
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Florida
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
My friend's Mega .15 engine only lasts about 2 heats before the conrod blow and broke the engine internals

I think the head clearance is different from one to other engine so you can't measure just the shim only to get proper compression shimming. Another my friend's Mega was eating plug almost every 10-15 minutes of running. but this thing is surely fast on the straight...
when its running right, otherwise you better be fast to picking it up off the straight
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #345
Tech Regular
 
gonzoY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by joemugen
when its running right, otherwise you better be fast to picking it up off the straight
WHy you always gotta be so negative about everything JoeMugen? Haven't you ever heard of the glass being half FULL?
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Mega Picco Header and pipe .12 rcfoolz R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 10-07-2007 07:46 PM
FS: Mega Picco .21 DSII with spares mrgsr R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 12-02-2006 03:09 PM
KYOSHO RRR WCE,Mega picco Carlsen Modifeid GMartinez R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 02-08-2006 07:40 PM
^^^ NIB MEGA PICCO ZX12 VERY CHEAP AND USED MEGA PICCO PIPE ^^^ Riketsu R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-09-2005 03:54 PM
Mega-Picco ZX-12 Pandora's Box Malaysian R/C Racers 52 04-08-2005 01:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:23 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net