R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #256
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
The thing I don't use? Well it's true, but to be honest, the Mega ZX21 is on my top list now for my 1:8 scale car, but pretty sad that the plugs are not interchangable with Novarossi's...
no more JP? should not be a problem using nova plugs if you don`t mind unperfect fit but I saw you still have some original picco packing plugs in your store
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #257
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Hey I know that kind of guy.
I think it is obviously clear to whom my post concern
Old 03-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #258
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Paolo M
HSN: 5 1/2 turns
LSN: 2 turns

Engine works better on the rich side (HSN) and normally needs more than a couple of laps to reach the operational temp. I prefer start on the rich side (HSN) and after 4 or 5 laps tune the engine. Doing this process on the bench (or starter box) normally overheat the engine driving you to a wrong tuning and maybe causing a damage (this is not only in our engines, is for all)

Hope this info can help you

Enjoy your Mega

Serpent USA
Gracias Paolo, soy buen amigo de Danilo, desde Ecuador te deseamos Suerte en las competencias!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:14 PM   #259
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
HSN: 5 1/2 turns
LSN: 2 turns

Engine works better on the rich side (HSN) and normally needs more than a couple of laps to reach the operational temp. I prefer start on the rich side (HSN) and after 4 or 5 laps tune the engine. Doing this process on the bench (or starter box) normally overheat the engine driving you to a wrong tuning and maybe causing a damage (this is not only in our engines, is for all)

Hope this info can help you

Enjoy your Mega

Serpent USA
Mr. Paolo, HSN: 5 1/2 turns - LSN: 2 turns, this optimal seting or factory standard ?
If it optimal setting, can i ask you what fuel you are using ? (nitro / oil content please..)
Thank you.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #260
Tech Addict

I have had my first run with the new mega engine and i can say is wow these things are quick, i have run Max's, JP's Nova rossi's and this thing KICKS ASS and $59us for a piston and sleeve!!!

Great work people keep them comming
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #261
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Paolo M........I would like to know several things.

(1) for the MEGA ZX12 engines, what are the POWERPACK product # are...? Those with the pipe set....what pipes are those come with?

(2) for the MEGA ZX15...........does that engine has POWERPACK release on the market..? With what # of pipe set..?

Thanks...........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #262
teo
Tech Initiate

I had my first race with my Mega .12 this weekend, and is very impressed with the performance. It did run flawlessly for 45 minutes.

One thing I'm having problem with is tuning the bottom end. After idling for more than 5-10 seconds it bogs and sometimes stops. Normally I would then lean the bottom end needle. Then its fine at the bench (idles for ever and responds well), but when driving around the track it hestitates out of the corner suggesting the bottom is to lean again.
I've checked for airleakes in tank/fuellines, my tuning is around 4.5-5 turns out on main needle and around 2 on low speed needle. It runs around 100 degrees C.

Any tips/ideas?
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #263
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
Mr. Paolo, HSN: 5 1/2 turns - LSN: 2 turns, this optimal seting or factory standard ?
If it optimal setting, can i ask you what fuel you are using ? (nitro / oil content please..)
Thank you.
GoldFinger, this is very close to factory setting. I like to run the LSN a llittle bit on the rich side but still the engine have a good idle ( i like very low rpm idle, is better for fuel consuption and handling of the car after of throttle) What i do is after pre-heating a little bit the engine, i just pinch the fuel line and the rpm remain the same for 4 to 5 second and then the engine rev up. For me thatīs the best option (of course, this is for a large track with long straigth away) If the track is really short, and full of hairpins, LSN need to be more lean, becasue the engine never rev up for a lot of time and so if you keep the same setup described before is always rich out of the corner.
Regarding HSN, i set the engine a little bit rich (if you progressively open the carb, the engine respond quick but at 3/4 rpm becomes rich (not really 4 strocking but rich) THen at the track after several laps (at least 5) if the engine is still rich i lean it.
About temp, in theory iīm very close to 100C (212F), but honestly i did not measure it (in the sedan cars, is very difficult to be precise because the rules of the glowplug hole) So for me, as long as the engine smokes, is fast, but more important, very consistent (alway same performance), itīs ok and i donīt pay attentiont to temp. Of course, everything need to be set ok in order to avoid heating (good clutch, a free car and the gearing) This engine likes lomng gearing (specially 2nd speed)

Regarding Fuel, in US we use 30% nitro with real 10 to 12% oil (mostly castor) It is very important to use good fuel in order to have good performance and a long lasting engine (less wear in the materials and less stress into the mechanical parts of the engine)

Hope this info can help

Paolo
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #264
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Paolo M........I would like to know several things.

(1) for the MEGA ZX12 engines, what are the POWERPACK product # are...? Those with the pipe set....what pipes are those come with?

(2) for the MEGA ZX15...........does that engine has POWERPACK release on the market..? With what # of pipe set..?

Thanks...........
Hi Rookie,

1) THe codes for the engines are:
MEG201004 ZX12 sports with Mega Efra 2607 inline conical set
MEG201005 ZX12 Race with Mega Efra 2607 inline conical set
MEG201005 ZX12 Race Outlaw with outlaw inline set (very similar at the old TP06 outlaw)

2) Yes, the engine is in the market and we have already receive and sell a lot
The powerpack version comes with thesame pipe as the putlaw version of the 12īs. I get back to you with the part number as soon as iīm at the office

Paolo
Old 03-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #265
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by teo
I had my first race with my Mega .12 this weekend, and is very impressed with the performance. It did run flawlessly for 45 minutes.

One thing I'm having problem with is tuning the bottom end. After idling for more than 5-10 seconds it bogs and sometimes stops. Normally I would then lean the bottom end needle. Then its fine at the bench (idles for ever and responds well), but when driving around the track it hestitates out of the corner suggesting the bottom is to lean again.
I've checked for airleakes in tank/fuellines, my tuning is around 4.5-5 turns out on main needle and around 2 on low speed needle. It runs around 100 degrees C.

Any tips/ideas?
Teo, please read below:

I like to run the LSN a llittle bit on the rich side but still the engine have a good idle ( i like very low rpm idle, is better for fuel consuption and handling of the car after of throttle) What i do is after pre-heating a little bit the engine, i just pinch the fuel line and the rpm remain the same for 4 to 5 second and then the engine rev up. For me thatīs the best option (of course, this is for a large track with long straigth away) If the track is really short, and full of hairpins, LSN need to be more lean, becasue the engine never rev up for a lot of time and so if you keep the same setup described before is always rich out of the corner.
Regarding HSN, i set the engine a little bit rich (if you progressively open the carb, the engine respond quick but at 3/4 rpm becomes rich (not really 4 strocking but rich) THen at the track after several laps (at least 5) if the engine is still rich i lean it.
About temp, in theory iīm very close to 100C (212F), but honestly i did not measure it (in the sedan cars, is very difficult to be precise because the rules of the glowplug hole) So for me, as long as the engine smokes, is fast, but more important, very consistent (alway same performance), itīs ok and i donīt pay attentiont to temp. Of course, everything need to be set ok in order to avoid heating (good clutch, a free car and the gearing) This engine likes lomng gearing (specially 2nd speed)

Paolo
Old 03-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #266
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ordered a mega powerpack engine and pipe combo 201005 from rcxhobbies.com. click here . My brother just pointed out to me that it says "M12" not "ZX12" Is this the same motor or am i going to recieve something other than the ZX12?
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #267
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
GoldFinger, this is very close to factory setting. Hope this info can help

Paolo
Good Morning....
1st, thank you for detail explanation.
About the fuel, thanks to clarify that and we do agreed that this engine is extremely well while using 10% oil or less.
And the durability is awesome, recently we overcooked 2 engine, 190 and 175 deg C (using 30%nitro+11%oil) and no problem after that, untill today(almost 3rd gallon).

About 2 turn out LSN, I was confused. Maybe there is some difference on full closed position. All of our MEGA.12 was using 4.5 to 5.5 turns out (around 1.2 - 1.5 mm out !!). Leaner than that, initial torque is weaker and sometimes temp will raising rapidly. (sea level,29-33C ambient, 75-90% humid, asphalt temp could reach 65C).

1 more question Mr Paolo, if you dont mind...
How is the detail of your clutch setup ?
On tight/technical track with max. ratio we still feel some delay. Especially after very slow hairpin, we need more punch to came out. And taking Mr. Art word.. "CannonBall" .. yah, we miss that feeling.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #268
M7H
Tech Elite

Oke, a few weeks later now, since the last posts I have read about it.
Is everybody who has driven the ZX-21 still happy with it?......

I'd like to know, because I'm a private team driver here in the Netherlands (Yes, Serpent country) and will drive the Dutch Championship (2nd division) with it........

The engine (2nd batch, without the crankshaft problem) will arrive shortly, but some information from the other side of the big lake is welcome.....

Martin
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #269
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara

Thanks...........
For your reff (pipe in powerpack may have been different for each country),

SER-201201 MEGAPOWERPACK ZX15 SMALL BLOCK
Old 03-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #270
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx
I ordered a mega powerpack engine and pipe combo 201005 from rcxhobbies.com. click here . My brother just pointed out to me that it says "M12" not "ZX12" Is this the same motor or am i going to recieve something other than the ZX12?
Is the exact same engine. At the beginning serpent was planning to use the letter M for the description of the engines and actually the very first price list had the M (like M12) and also the MS (MS version). Then Serpent decided to change the M for ZX and the MS for Race.

Serpent USA