R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-02-2005, 01:43 AM   #166
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

just ordered the new zx12 race powerpack combo and was wondering if anyone has got the specifications for the new zx12 race engine? just like bore/stroke supposed hp yada yada didnt have much luck at mytsn or serpent usa finding this information got plenty of pretty pictures tho.

thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #167
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dynamite
just ordered the new zx12 race powerpack combo and was wondering if anyone has got the specifications for the new zx12 race engine? just like bore/stroke supposed hp yada yada didnt have much luck at mytsn or serpent usa finding this information got plenty of pretty pictures tho.

thanks.
Congratulations on your new engine.
I have no data on the bore/stroke. You will not find any HP rating for the engine anyway. Serpent has stopped publishing them. As there are no standardised dyno testing facilities the figures from the manf are useless anyway.

If Novrossi were correct with their HP figures, the 200mm cars should run close to 150 km/h....
Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #168
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Nevermind, I've found the answer already, ZX21 is the one to go...

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 03-03-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #169
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

is this what the mega picco engine is based on?
they look very similar.

the above one is the Picco xp

Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #170
Regional Moderator

How about their price differences?
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:51 PM   #171
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
How about their price differences?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #172
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran my Mega zx21 for the first time this weekend. I ran pretty good but I was lacking top end to just about everyone else at the track. It had a lot of bottom end, probably too much for the track conditions but I would loose about 15-20ft on the 250ft straight to the majority of people at the track. I was geared the same as other people that are running the same car so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. I don't know if the engine is just lacking RPM or if it is tuned incorrectly. The other thing that was strange about the engine is the carb needles are very hard to turn. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, how do you know if you have one that needs the crank replaced? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #173
Tech Regular

Were you running the mega picco power pack (Pipe & header)?
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #174
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
I ran my Mega zx21 for the first time this weekend. I ran pretty good but I was lacking top end to just about everyone else at the track. It had a lot of bottom end, probably too much for the track conditions but I would loose about 15-20ft on the 250ft straight to the majority of people at the track. I was geared the same as other people that are running the same car so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. I don't know if the engine is just lacking RPM or if it is tuned incorrectly. The other thing that was strange about the engine is the carb needles are very hard to turn. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, how do you know if you have one that needs the crank replaced? Any help would be great. Thanks
i would start with re-setting the carb
Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #175
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

dougday, I am running a Power Racing Products pipe, which is also being run by others at the track. My local shops don't carry the power packs. What pipe/header comes with the power packs? Where can I find more info about them?

Marcos.J, reset it to what? The factory settings? Are they noted in the instruction book?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #176
Tech Regular

Not sure, but I think the part numbers are 2890 and 2892. Give Serpent a call, they could advise you.

I find that the tuned pipes by the engine manufacturer usually works best.
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #177
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
I have only had my ZX 21 on the track once so I cannot really compare the power but as the temps got over 200 it really started going. I am still breaking it in so I've been pretty easy on it so far. I also have a Top 321P that has just been broken in so I will be comparing the two.

If you are having trouble turning the low speed needle it's because you have the ball on the end of the slide too tight. The piece that the linkage attaches to. I had the same problem. I just about stripped the low speed screw. My high speed needle is tight but I have not found anything wrong with it.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #178
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
dougday, I am running a Power Racing Products pipe, which is also being run by others at the track. My local shops don't carry the power packs. What pipe/header comes with the power packs? Where can I find more info about them?

Marcos.J, reset it to what? The factory settings? Are they noted in the instruction book?
The factory settings can be found on the website (mytsn) under the FAQ section for the engine. I found them to be on the rich side... especially the HSN.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #179
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by dougday
I find that the tuned pipes by the engine manufacturer usually works best.
That is correct.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #180
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
I believe every engine has different types of characteristics... The Mega engine would need certain type of pipes to compliment the engine's powerband. So a certain pipe might work wonders on certain engines while on others not...

For pipes, I think there are 2 types of powerpack versions available...

ZX21 Race + 2002 Outlaw 2 Chamber Inline Pipe (2890)

ZX21 Race + 2002 EFRA 3 Chamber Inline Pipe (2892)

Some info also on the types of headers that you could use with the pipe posted on the ZX21 FAQ on mytsn;

Answer: we have basically three headers for this engine: 203021, which is the standard header. It has a very good fuleconsumption and a wide powerband and good maximum performance 203024 is a conical header, which improves performance, especially the bottom and power is quite a lot better, but fuelconsumption is higher 203042, this is the header with the highest power output, but also the highest fuel consumption. There is nothing for free!!! Answered by: Michael Salven

So far, no information yet on mytsn on those headers...

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
On mytsn product page of the ZX21, it states the following;

Dear Ronald, the main needle should be 5 1/2 turn open, and the low speed needle 7 turns. For running in the engine i suggest that the main needle is opened 1 1/2 turn more. Rick V
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote