R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #151
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Zx21 crankshaft recall

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy100
Hi Maarten,

for the ZX21 crankshaft recall, how do we know the motor we bought were the first batch which have issue need to be replaced ? I bought that motor in early Jan and I wonder if I should go to the dealer for crank shaft replacement. LMK

thxs,

Hi Speedy,

Every 3,5 cc engine currently around, is from the first batch.
In short, if you bought your engine before the 1st of March 2005, your engine is most likely from the first batch. (of course LHS's can still carry stock from the first batch after this date)

Please do contact you LHS or distributor and ask for an replacement shaft. It will not cost you anything.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Maarten
Potje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default ZX12 Legal Race MS

Just a heads up for anyone getting one of these engines.

I just pulled mine apart to have a bit of a look inside as I do with all new engines. There was a little bit of swarf burr still in the crank left over from the manufacturing process. It was on both sides of the crank intake window, still attached to the crank. Not a big drama, just one of those things we should all be checking before running in a new engine. Oh the joys of mass production. It was easily removed with a light pass with a carbide dremel tip, just enough to de-burr and not alter intake timing. (I want to see how this puppy runs out of the box)

The engine looks the goods. Very nice infact. The attention to detail is fantastic. The backplate is scouped eitherside of the machined flat for piston clearance. I love the carb retaining system, it grips the carby from both sides, rather than just one.

Just have to get my hands on a non EFRA crank now...
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #153
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Potje
Hi Goldfinger,

More or less, yes. The engine will run but as is doesn't fit properly, several problems can accrue. As you probably know, and one of the reasons why the "turbo" plug was invented, is that the better you can seal the combustion chamber, the better the performance will be....

No real harm is done though, if you try to use it, but as performance matters (that why you bought the engine, right?),
we strongly advice you to use the Picco based plugs

Regards,
Maarten
Ok, thanks a lot .
Last night I check, there is a gap/room between plug and head when Nova plug is installed, it is no good
But here we have no picco plug, Mega hasn't arrive so i replace the button head with the RR12 so I can use Nova plug..

FYI, our ZX12 comes with stripped low needle O-ring, the outer one. Hope they will fix it on the next batch.

1 more thing Mr. Marteen, do you know the difference between sport and Legal MS version ?
Thank you
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:33 PM   #154
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
But here we have no picco plug, Mega hasn't arrive so i replace the button head with the RR12 so I can use Nova plug..
Bro, do you know if the compression ratio is maintained the same when using the Novarossi button head instead of using the Mega one? Do they have the same dimensions especially the deck height of the button head?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #155
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: ZX12 Legal Race MS

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Just a heads up for anyone getting one of these engines.

I just pulled mine apart to have a bit of a look inside as I do with all new engines. There was a little bit of swarf burr still in the crank left over from the manufacturing process. It was on both sides of the crank intake window, still attached to the crank. Not a big drama, just one of those things we should all be checking before running in a new engine. Oh the joys of mass production. It was easily removed with a light pass with a carbide dremel tip, just enough to de-burr and not alter intake timing. (I want to see how this puppy runs out of the box)

The engine looks the goods. Very nice infact. The attention to detail is fantastic. The backplate is scouped eitherside of the machined flat for piston clearance. I love the carb retaining system, it grips the carby from both sides, rather than just one.

Just have to get my hands on a non EFRA crank now...
I'd wait with the non-efra crank. Seems Michael and the rest of the Serpent guys used the EFRA crank in FTMeyers as they didn't find improveents with the turbo crankshaft.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #156
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: ZX12 Legal Race MS

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
I'd wait with the non-efra crank. Seems Michael and the rest of the Serpent guys used the EFRA crank in FTMeyers as they didn't find improveents with the turbo crankshaft.
Perhaps it's the usage of high nitro content that is negating the advantage of a turbo crank?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 AM   #157
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
Ok, thanks a lot .
Last night I check, there is a gap/room between plug and head when Nova plug is installed, it is no good

FYI, our ZX12 comes with stripped low needle O-ring, the outer one. Hope they will fix it on the next batch.

1 more thing Mr. Marteen, do you know the difference between sport and Legal MS version ?
Thank you
Hi Goldfinger,

Please do not use the Nova based buttons as the diameter isn't the same. Also, I'm not sure what the head clearance will be so be careful

Can you take a picture of the stripped O-ring and send it to [email protected] ? Thx in advance

About the difference, performance obviously but I guess you figured that one out yourself The sport has a different cooling head (different design), a different crankshaft and the combustion chamber for a standard glow plug instead of the turbo in the race version. I haven't seen it yet so this is based on what they have told me

Regards,
Maarten
Potje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:12 AM   #158
Tech Adept

The ZX12 went onto my TC3 without any problem. I decided to use the collet that came with the motor because it seemed like the flywheel wouldn't have stayed centered do to too much play. And the break-in process was the easiest of all the motors I've run. The motor did not come with a plug so I used the Novarossi C6Tc ( average filamet ) with 20% to break it in. I was going to run 30% but I think I will stay with 20. This motor screams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg request.jpg (84.5 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by mgreen; 02-25-2005 at 02:18 AM.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:57 AM   #159
Tech Regular

Can someone explain the different characteristics of the Pipe that comes with the powerpack (2607) to the old Mega 2601 pipe?
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #160
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mgreen
The ZX12 went onto my TC3 without any problem. I decided to use the collet that came with the motor because it seemed like the flywheel wouldn't have stayed centered do to too much play. And the break-in process was the easiest of all the motors I've run. The motor did not come with a plug so I used the Novarossi C6Tc ( average filamet ) with 20% to break it in. I was going to run 30% but I think I will stay with 20. This motor screams.
For better cooling I suggest you remove the head and rotate it 90 degrees. That way the plug cooling hole lines up with the car's direction. Further I suggest you try to get the Picco based or Mega plugs for optimal fit. See post about plugs above.

Good luck with your engine.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #161
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
For better cooling I suggest you remove the head and rotate it 90 degrees. That way the plug cooling hole lines up with the car's direction. Further I suggest you try to get the Picco based or Mega plugs for optimal fit. See post about plugs above.

Good luck with your engine.
Julius, what shims come with that motor?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #162
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Bro, do you know if the compression ratio is maintained the same when using the Novarossi button head instead of using the Mega one? Do they have the same dimensions especially the deck height of the button head?
Yes, loosing some CAR. The diameter is smaler by .hundred.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:20 AM   #163
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.J
Julius, what shims come with that motor?
I have no idea.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:36 PM   #164
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Potje
Hi Goldfinger,

Can you take a picture of the stripped O-ring and send it to [email protected] ? Thx in advance
Regards,
Maarten
Have you received my Saturday email ?
I got another one, later on today.

Where I can have some info about initial needle setup for MEGA engine ?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #165
Tech Fanatic

i witness one of these engines run on the weekend. for a stock engine they certainly do getup and going!