R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #136
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
There is nothing wrong in what you describe. One other thing that may be obvious but anyway. Make sure you set your throttle end points so the carb does not go beyond where it is fully open.
Thanks, I took care of the throttle EPA this morning.

I got to run 3 tanks through it today and so far so good. It gets better with each tank. The manual says 3 tanks after the bench so I am going to run it a little harder next time out.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:24 PM   #137
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by baller360
can some one post pics of the inside coponents of the mega zx-12 like the sleeve, cranck case, crank shaft, etc it would be much appreciated.
I will try. I'm about to start breaking one in next week. Maybe I will take it apart first. I looked at mine and it doesn't look much different than any other non-modded racing engine I have seen.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #138
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by spenzalii
I see Salven put his car in the A main. Was the ZX12 he was using pretty much stock or massaged for the big race?
That's the million dollar question. I can tell you this, Michael, Paolo and Scotty were all running the old prototype engines with the "MS" on the head (very fast). DJ was not. I think DJ's was stock and although his car looked very good and his driving was excellent, I don't think he was as fast (engine) as the others. This is just my guess and I could be completely wrong. It looks like a very good engine either way.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #139
Tech Apprentice

Default ZX12 plug?

Jag,

What plug did your engine come with? And if different, what plug are you going to use. I just ordered one and just wanted some advice.

Thanks in advance.
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #140
Tech Regular

Doesn't come with ANY plug
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:01 AM   #141
jag
Tech Master

Default Re: ZX12 plug?

Quote:
Originally posted by glitch44
Jag,

What plug did your engine come with? And if different, what plug are you going to use. I just ordered one and just wanted some advice.

Thanks in advance.
Gonzo is right, it doesn't come with a plug but plugs are available. To the best of my knowledge there is only 1 heat range available right now. I think it's a 7. You should use the Mega plug as I have heard that the Novarossi plug has a different taper to it and it may not seal properly.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #142
Tech Regular

I got a 6Cold when I got mine. It's all they had at the moment.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #143
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can also use the Orion Plugs. They are a Picco based plug as well.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #144
Tech Fanatic

just got a zx12 race legal ms, at least thatīs written on the box but not on the cylinder head, anyway Iīm about to break it and while reading the manual it states clearly that this engine should use a max of 16 nitro and min of 10 oil, over here all of us use 30 nitro and Iīd like to obtain top performance while trying to preserve the engine, should I use a max of 20-25 nitro to stay competitive while preventing early wearing. possible fuels, trinity 25 nitro 12 oil, sidewinder 20 12 oil, backyard 20 16 oil and sidewinder 30 nitro 12 oil. suggestions very very welcome.
maxys fuel very soon!
didnīt like the head, only 7 fins! and the crankshaft is 1mm smaller, will have to make some minor adaptations, specially if using ntc3, but hey, performance matters!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:53 PM   #145
Tech Fanatic

a pic of the zx12 race legal ms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mega.jpg (27.1 KB, 354 views)
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #146
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I can't find anything about the plugs being special or the seal different. Can someone shed some lite on the this subject. I'll also call serpent today and find out.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:17 AM   #147
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Potje
Hi D,

Mega/Picco plug are indeed different from Nova based plugs.

Don't know if I can explain it properly but I'll give it a try.
The thread of the Mega/Picco plug stops about a millimeter before the conical part of the bottom of the plug. The thread of the Nova plugs runs al the way down therefore the Picco plug will fit the Nova combustion chamber. This is because the thread in the Nova combustion chamber also goes all the way down so it doesn't matter if the thread on the Picco plug stops earlier or not. However, in the Picco combustion chamber, the thread stop about 1 millimeter before the conical part. And as the Nova plug needs thread all the way down to the conical part to seal the combustion chamber properly, it wont fit correctly.

I've attached a picture. The left plug is Picco, the right one is Nova. As you can see, the thread of the picco stops about a millimeter before the conical part.

Hope I'll explained it so you have an idea how it fits in the combustion chamber.

Regards,
Maarten
For the pic, go to page 2 of this thread and check the original posting.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
For the pic, go to page 2 of this thread and check the original posting.
Hi Julius,
So if I insisting to use Nova plug on the pico head, the bottom side of the plug wont reach the head ?
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #149
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
Hi Julius,
So if I insisting to use Nova plug on the pico head, the bottom side of the plug wont reach the head ?
Hi Goldfinger,

More or less, yes. The engine will run but as is doesn't fit properly, several problems can accrue. As you probably know, and one of the reasons why the "turbo" plug was invented, is that the better you can seal the combustion chamber, the better the performance will be....

No real harm is done though, if you try to use it, but as performance matters (that why you bought the engine, right?),
we strongly advice you to use the Picco based plugs

Regards,
Maarten
Potje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 AM   #150
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100
Default Zx21 crankshaft recall

Hi Maarten,

for the ZX21 crankshaft recall, how do we know the motor we bought were the first batch which have issue need to be replaced ? I bought that motor in early Jan and I wonder if I should go to the dealer for crank shaft replacement. LMK

thxs,
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote