R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italboy View Post
Hi
I'm wondering how the two named engines perform. Is there anybody who has already tested these engines?
Also the carb in plastic, is it the way to avoid restart problems? On the other hand the Max RP3.9 has an alloy carb.

Thanks for your input.

Greets from Switzerland
Max still use the low end 11.5 mm Nova plaform for their engine. Nova Keep On uses the new 11.9mm platform, with longer stroke, new main bearing size, higher carb volume, lower fuel consumpion, narrower venturi duct. Keep On claims with higher bottom end torque, better fuel conumption on 11.9 platform.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebone View Post
Max still use the low end 11.5 mm Nova plaform for their engine. Nova Keep On uses the new 11.9mm platform, with longer stroke, new main bearing size, higher carb volume, lower fuel consumpion, narrower venturi duct. Keep On claims with higher bottom end torque, better fuel conumption on 11.9 platform.
Hi beebone

Thank you for the reply.
What about the Max RP3.9? This engine also offer a 11.9 platform. What is your opinion, would the Nova anyway perform better than the Max? Important for me is the easy tune of the engine and bottom power. Low consumption is also a point which is important for me.
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Why is the 11.5 mm crankshaft low end? Let me remind you that the MAX .21 version with a 14mm crankshaft has many titles on his name against the superb (??) 14.5mm crankshaft.
Te larger the diameter the more rotating mass off center and that is no gain.

There are 2 gains, the 1st one is that the crankshaft will get stronger without special hardening processes and the 2nd one is that working with the same tolerances you will get a smaller window on differences in timing during production series..
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
The fastest .12 engine currently available, the Orcan GT3, still has an 11,5mm crank.
It also still has the short stroke design which is originally from 2005.
So wouldn't bother too much with everything Nova claims, performance on the track is the only thing that counts.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Default red

if red is good how is your grey going i think i read some were you were changing the colour if i listen to lars// if it is not red it won't go but i am only a mugen driver so what would i know hope you are having fun with your racing because we are it makes lots of fun to have a dig at other brands so i hope now one takes any thing said out of text////greg
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
The fastest .12 engine currently available, the Orcan GT3, still has an 11,5mm crank.
It also still has the short stroke design which is originally from 2005.
So wouldn't bother too much with everything Nova claims, performance on the track is the only thing that counts.
Hi DS
Which GT3 are you talking about, there are 3 types on the market I've seen.
The GT3, GT3-S and GT3-C. S for small to mid size tracks and C for high speed tracks.
What is your opinion of the Max RP3.5? Or would I go better with the new Nova Keep On?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Hi DS
Which GT3 are you talking about, there are 3 types on the market I've seen.
The GT3, GT3-S and GT3-C. S for small to mid size tracks and C for high speed tracks.
What is your opinion of the Max RP3.5? Or would I go better with the new Nova Keep On?
The GT3 is the 2011 model. For 2012 Orcan has released the GT3-S and the GT3-C. Like you said the S has more torque and is more suited for smaller, technical tracks and the C has more top end power and is more suited for big, open tracks.
I haven't seen any of the new Max or Nova engines on the track yet but to be honest I've never been impressed by the engines from either brand.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
The GT3 is the 2011 model. For 2012 Orcan has released the GT3-S and the GT3-C. Like you said the S has more torque and is more suited for smaller, technical tracks and the C has more top end power and is more suited for big, open tracks.
I haven't seen any of the new Max or Nova engines on the track yet but to be honest I've never been impressed by the engines from either brand.
Thank you for your reply DS.
I have read the report of Dirk Wischnewski's race in Thailand at the pre world. They said, that the GT3-S was better and easier to drive as the GT3-C and also the fuel consumption was much less as with the C Spec. My question is, how much could be the difference in the top end of the two engines.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Thank you for your reply DS.
I have read the report of Dirk Wischnewski's race in Thailand at the pre world. They said, that the GT3-S was better and easier to drive as the GT3-C and also the fuel consumption was much less as with the C Spec. My question is, how much could be the difference in the top end of the two engines.
The WC track looks pretty tight and technical to me so it makes sense they prefer the S version.
That's really hard to say, I personally haven't tested both engines yet. I'm guessing between 3-5km/h but that's pure guess work based on my findings when I adjust the timing of an engine using liner shims.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any kind souls here can help?

What is the Max pipe equivalent to the Nova 2660 for .12 size and 2015 for the .21 size ??

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone notice the rod issues on these engines?

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote