R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Also I'd like to add, I agree with windsorguy99 that they don't do the same type of pinch, however, their still effective and handy if you engine looses comp. and your without another engine to race at the time.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Quote:
Originally posted by GregH
Where can I get one of these $20 tools???
anyone????
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #18
Tech Master

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW heres one
TRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:12 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

Interesting...Pinching ..

It makes sense....because these motors turn a ton of rpms and the side load on the piston/sleeve does all kinds of funny things at 30,000 rpm.

On the other hand....running upwards of 30k revs ..I would certainly prefer the piston to wall clearance to be +/- a tenth. These aluminum pistons grow under the heat and stress in the areas that are hottest.

It might be worth a try to run the motor hotter and set the piston the wall clearance slightly looser so the aluminum piston can grow with the heat thus producing more power.

Imho....i would keep in mind that pinching/ressurecting....is a really involved process and just running a die down the bore is gonna get you close. But really when reconditiong a small high revving motor the bore size needs to be measured and checked and rechecked with a dial bore guage to ensure proper clearance throughout the bore.
Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:56 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check out www.RayARacing.com . Great service and he can get the fit right!

I've sent many used engines for a freshening. He not only gets the fit right at TDC, but also seals the port windows for a like new seal.

Try it just once, and you'll go back again.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Phroziac Send a message via Yahoo to Phroziac

That's not a c clamp
I have a tool similar to that, its a little bit different and from another name.

I tried it on my worn out trx 2.5 last year. I pinched it like the instructions said, and turned a craftsman allen wrench into a candy cane in the process...
I also polished the inside and outside of the sleeve with chrome polish, and some fine sandpaper on the outside to remove the ridges i left in it from trying to pinch it with vise grips. (So it would slide in without a hammer...) Apparently vise grips do nothing but put ridges in the outside

Anyway, the sleeve felt fairly tight. I lubed it up and put it in the engine, along with flushing the engine out and stuff. I ran it for a bit, it ran and started lot better but it was overheating constantly. I ran a tank or two fairly rich (factory settings), and leaned it out and used it. I assumed the sleeve pinched out of round and that it would eventually wear together. Well, a few tanks later it was acting the same before i pinched it.
I'm assuming the sleeve got pinched out of round and that I didn't pinch it sufficiently to stay pinched for very long. I suppose I need better allen wrenches.
Phroziac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phroziac
That's not a c clamp
I have a tool similar to that, its a little bit different and from another name.

I tried it on my worn out trx 2.5 last year. I pinched it like the instructions said, and turned a craftsman allen wrench into a candy cane in the process...
I also polished the inside and outside of the sleeve with chrome polish, and some fine sandpaper on the outside to remove the ridges i left in it from trying to pinch it with vise grips. (So it would slide in without a hammer...) Apparently vise grips do nothing but put ridges in the outside

Anyway, the sleeve felt fairly tight. I lubed it up and put it in the engine, along with flushing the engine out and stuff. I ran it for a bit, it ran and started lot better but it was overheating constantly. I ran a tank or two fairly rich (factory settings), and leaned it out and used it. I assumed the sleeve pinched out of round and that it would eventually wear together. Well, a few tanks later it was acting the same before i pinched it.
I'm assuming the sleeve got pinched out of round and that I didn't pinch it sufficiently to stay pinched for very long. I suppose I need better allen wrenches.
Nope, any allen wrenches will not help you. When you pinch the sleeve-you basecaly performe mechanical "damge" on cold condition with very little move. Ones sleeve got hot-metall goes to its original size and shape and it will do again and again and again, then chrome plating will start cracking and it literaly destroy piston. Pinching is not solution. It is my personal opinion and I am sure it is different from some other people.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Phroziac Send a message via Yahoo to Phroziac

That may be true, and after I did that I decided i'd just replace the p/s in the future.
The allen wrench thing is that if I had better tools, they would allow more torque to be applied before being damaged. The damaged allen wrench damaged the socket head screw in the clamp also. That's no big deal, I'm just too lazy to buy the screw.
Phroziac is offline   Reply With Quote