Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In >

Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In

Hi Guys,

I just built my car a week ago and I'm about to break in my engine. The manul that came with it did not give any instructions on how to properly break the unit. Would like to know how I should break in my motor properly and get ready to race..

Regards,

Titan
Old 10-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php
Old 10-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

with the above method is this no load or while the car is on the ground?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Team-RTR
with the above method is this no load or while the car is on the ground?
I would assume on the starter box up to the 8th tank. The part where he mentions "time to hit the track", that is assumed that the engine is driven around the track which according to him would be for another 2 tanks with the carb needles still on the rich side. After that, tune to race.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Tech Addict

Default --

Is this the way to go?

I am confused which needle to adjust... is there any diagram which is which? I have three adjustment screws..
Old 10-20-2004, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In

". Start by opening the top end needle 1 full turn. Open the carburetor to full throttle and hold it there. Open the top end needle until the engine flames out. From here, close the top end needle ¼ turn and restart the engine again running it at full throttle. Run the engine full throttle for 3 tanks and shut the engine down. "

heii D ;; i sort of can't believe what i've read...full throttle...
well i've broken in two engine in my life and on the full throttle thing is really pheeww...
i ran out of words....
Old 10-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Novarossi NSR12 S5 Break In

Originally posted by rcabj
heii D ;; i sort of can't believe what i've read...full throttle...
Why? Anything wrong?

well i've broken in two engine in my life and on the full throttle thing is really pheeww...
i ran out of words....
Old 10-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

well ..... from what i have done ...break in procedures just to idle the engine for a few tanks then gradually on the track start to tune to racing pace...

but from what the articles said " full throttle" during break in..
real hard for me to swallow...the motor would over rev...anyway just my thought...

u have done it this way D::
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

i meant running the engine full throttle for not only one but 3 full tanks....wouldn't it over rev or s.thing....
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

i have broken an engine in a similar way. ifthe engine is overly rich even at full throttle the engine can barely rev up at all so ther is no chance of it doind damage.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Prophet

well ..... from what i have done ...break in procedures just to idle the engine for a few tanks then gradually on the track start to tune to racing pace...
Idle the engine on the starter box for a few tanks? Ummm...

but from what the articles said " full throttle" during break in..
real hard for me to swallow...the motor would over rev...anyway just my thought...
I guess you should read the article properly... Although you open the throttle fully, that does not mean the engine will rev 30,000 rpm or more. That is why Josh mentioned that the main needle (HSN) needs to fully open 1 more round than the stock needle settings until the engine flames out at full throttle ! This is to ensure that the engine will not rev high and will sound blubbery with fuel even when full throttle. The RPM will not be high during this kind of break in at full throttle.

Doing this makes sure that you break the engine in at rich settings and with a lot of lubricants flowing in the engine. Idling the engine on the starter box will cause more damage than breaking in the engine rich at WOT. You actually cannot determine if breaking in the engine by idling ont he starter box the engine is broken in at rich settings. During idling, not much fuel and lubricants go in the engine internals.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default engine break-in

That's one crazy method of running in an engine.

I have run in many engines at idle for 5 tanks and all have had excellent power and long life.No broken rods or thrown bushes.

Just good reliable engines!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

well if that is the

That's one crazy method of running in an engine.

I have run in many engines at idle for 5 tanks and all have had excellent power and long life.No broken rods or thrown bushes.

Just good reliable engines!!!

----------this is the way i've done it all this time...

I guess you should read the article properly... Although you open the throttle fully, that does not mean the engine will rev 30,000 rpm or more. That is why Josh mentioned that the main needle (HSN) needs to fully open 1 more round than the stock needle settings until the engine flames out at full throttle ! This is to ensure that the engine will not rev high and will sound blubbery with fuel even when full throttle. The RPM will not be high during this kind of break in at full throttle.

Doing this makes sure that you break the engine in at rich settings and with a lot of lubricants flowing in the engine. Idling the engine on the starter box will cause more damage than breaking in the engine rich at WOT. You actually cannot determine if breaking in the engine by idling ont he starter box the engine is broken in at rich settings. During idling, not much fuel and lubricants go in the engine internals

------- i think i get the whole point....make sense too...

now we can use either of this 2 method to break in...
Old 10-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

I have used similar method mentioned in josh's article and its simple and faster than the "normal" method with good results.

1) Start the engine then rich the HSN needle (full throttle) till the engine barely idle and run it for 3 tanks
2) Lean the engine (still very rich) and run on the track for 3 fuel tanks
3) Start leaning adjustment for power and speed.

Alternatively, can always follow the engine manufacturer's guide which you cant go wrong as well.

Rgds
Old 10-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default ---

I broke in the engine fine last saturday. I just tokk 50/50 of the suggestions, half from the manufacturer and half from the stuff I got here. It went out fine.. Just a few more minor adjustments.

Thanks guys for your much appreciated advice!

Regards,

Titan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.