R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-26-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
ADS
Tech Rookie

Default Engine wnt turn over

I have not used my RB V12 for about 6 months and now when I try and kick it over, it won't. If I take the glo plug out, it works fine. It feels really tight at the point it is supposed to but will not go further. I can turn it by hand, its my electric starter cant di it. I have started it lots of times before.

I have put some 3in1 oil in to try and lubricate and clean the inside.(not that it needed cleaning.)

Does anybody have a solution or has anyone encountered this problem.
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite

You say the inside is clean? . . . not gummed up from the last time it ran? . . . no corrosion inside; particularly the bearings? If in doubt, dismantle the engine and clean it out.
Is the starter box up fully charged?

If all that's fine, I'd be sure to use some fresh fuel, a new glow plug and make sure the glow warmer is fully charged - just fell into that easy trap yesterday.
If it's still being difficult, try a heat gun to get it warmed up.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
ADS
Tech Rookie

Sorry, I had the wrong choice of words. It won't turn passed where the piston gets to the top of the shaft using the electric starter. There is usually a tight part but now it is really tight. Worse than when I first got it and was running it in. It is so tight that it stops the electric starter motor.

I will try pulling it apart fully, as I only took the head off before. Does this mean I will have to do the run-in process again?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi...i totally agree with taylor..think u just need to take it apart and check/clean everything like taylor said...

as for the running in, i don't think u have to again....imo
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #5
Tech Elite

OK . . . . Yes, dismantle the engine and give it a clean out, just to be sure.
When reassembling, just lightly lubricate the moving parts. i.e. both ends of the con rod bushings, the bearings and the bore.
Heat it up a bit with a heat gun and it should be good to go. No need for the run in process again.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
I can turn it by hand, its my electric starter cant di it.
If you can turn it over by hand, your electric starter motor is failing or the batteries are failing, or both. You should probably consider that since the car was sitting - so were the batteries. If you left them with any sort of charge on them, they may have formed a memory. I'd consider cycling them a couple times and if that doesn't work semi-permanently, a new pack is in order.

But in the meantime, you can try loosening up the glow plug slightly to reduce the compression and get it started. Once it starts, tighten it back down. After it runs for a bit the problem may resolve itself.
rocknbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:18 AM   #7
ADS
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys. I spent 4 hours over the weekend working on the engine. (much to my wifes pleasure.) I finally got it started and started to run at a healthy 95 degrees celcius.

Only one problem. After all my dramas and many hours of worries, I lost a pinion gear as I forgot to loctite after rebuilding the car. This was within 1 hour of running.

NOT HAPPY JAN! (Thats an Aussie joke)

I now have to go back to the stock V1RR gears as I am not allowed to buy new gears yet.