sirio engine

Old 10-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default sirio engine

hi im just wanting some information on the following engine:
M.Collari Sirio S12 T3 Evo 2 engine
what piston liner material does this motor use?
is it as relaible as nova based motors?
will i have to replace the carby as per the original sirio motors?

thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:03 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: sirio engine

Originally posted by Team-RTR
hi im just wanting some information on the following engine:
M.Collari Sirio S12 T3 Evo 2 engine
what piston liner material does this motor use?
is it as relaible as nova based motors?
will i have to replace the carby as per the original sirio motors?

thanks!
For more than 13 years Mauro Collari, father of the 6 time 1/8 scale World Champion, Lamberto Collari. has been modifying standard engines to obtain the maximum power possible. Every piece is hand picked one by one, to have the exact tolerance, and each labor is done manually, with the maximum precision, there, where machines can not possibly reach.
Unlike most engine tuners who disassemble then reassemble an engine, the M.Collari line has access to SIRIO engines from Star Motor Company.
In addition to a hand selected and fit Piston and Sleeve. It features a polished exhaust port, modified transfer ports, and enlarged boost port cavity in the engine case. The crankshaft is balanced after deepening the primary flute on the face, and after opening the timing. It has a specially designed low center gravity cooling head, for which the upper two fins of the block are machined to allow the head to sit lower. This engine series is assembled in small batches, individually.

LAMBERTO COLLARI .12 ENGINES
Lamberto Collari Normal .12 AAC 3-Port EFRA Turbo Engine
LC12 PRO 3E 1.52 hp @ 39,000 rpm

Mauro Collari Modified .12 AAC 3-Port Turbo Engine (EFRA or IFMAR/ROAR)
LC12 PRO 3E MC 1.68 hp @ 41,000 rpm

There is no problem with the composite 3 needle carb. That is a problem of the past. This engine is simply ballistic. I think it is the fastest engine out there today, very similar to the engines that just won the 200mm worlds in Brasil.

AFM
Old 10-21-2004, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

doesnt AAC piston liner material have problems with the liner wearing out quickly?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by Team-RTR
doesnt AAC piston liner material have problems with the liner wearing out quickly?
No, on the contrary it lasts longer than the ABC. I've been racing Sirio engines for a year now, and my Collari AAC engine is outlasting my ABC engine over the same hours of use.

Don't forget that the AAC liner is still chrome plated the same as the ABC.

AAC = Aluminum piston, Aluminum Sleeve, inside Chromed
ABC = Aluminum piston, Bronze Sleeve, inside Chromed

What happens is that AAC sustains much better higher temps, and piston and liner expand and contract at the same rate, disipates heat better, allowing for a better performance allround.
Also engine weighs less.

AFM
Old 10-21-2004, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

ill take your word for it
Old 10-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actualy, Aluminium sleeve has different chemestry then piston, so saying that they have the same expantion rate is quite bit not correct. If the piston will have the same expention rate as sleeve engine will be broken within a second ones it get to working temperature. Always piston has smaller expention rate then sleeve-this is not object for discusions. There is no difference in life between ABC and AAC if they have the same piston material ( we are assuming it is the same-with small changes to compancate difference in expention rates between Brass Aluminium for sleeve).
Comming back to chemestry of sleeve and piston-sleeve is mostly pretty plane easy to get Aluminium alloy, but piston is pretty complecated stuff. Piston material has to be very low on friction, has constant expantion rate, very durable etc.etc....
Most important element in piston material is Si and basicaly, more it contain is better, But ones it cross reasonble limit, material became bridle ( easy to brake-I think I misspell it )
So create material which will fit in all requirements is realy rocket since and evrey time when I personaly hear that new engine come up and it is more powerfull-it means for me-there is better piston material then before ( we are assuming that no timing drasticly changed over the years-correct me if I am wrong). I personaly see 70/30 power ratio from materials/flow.