R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
Tech Regular

I think that allowing the 4 strokes would be fine. As it is right now I still can't hang enough gear on the car to get it to run with a 2 stroke but it does seem to be fairly compeditive.

MXwrench, I'll drop you an email about that fitting kit and a few things to look at on it.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #17
Tech Master

If they are allowed in national comps the technology will develop very quickly. I'll support it!

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I already race 4 strokes competitively, and very successfully on a local and regional level. Both the Monster Truck and Gas Truck were lots of work, and are one of a kind, hand built, proof of concept prototypes.

The number 1 question I get is "How much does it cost to put one in my truck/car?". Unfortunatly, I have to tell them the truth, that it's not a production item. Everyone loves the sound, and I'm sure if there were a cost and performance competitive drop-in 4 stroke engine made to fit most popular r/c car kits, the sales volume alone would get it into the rule books.

I'm fairly sure the demand is there. People love things that are different, as long as they perform just as well as or better than the current standard. The problem is not the rules, but rather the lack of a product worthy of re-writing the rules.

All it takes is a couple big name companies dropping some coin and committing to a product for it to get into the ROAR rulebooks. Look at the brushless situation for a good example of how that works. Even battery technology works like that. The battery companies don't wait for ROAR to start selling their new cells. They start selling them as soon as they can, then ROAR usually makes them legal later.

...So, come on O.S., YS, Saito, NovaRossi, Picco, etc.... What are you waiting for? Yes, you'll have to spend some coin to do a ground-up design instead of just hopping up an airplane engine. However, if even one company does it right, they'll give the R/C community something to get really excited about. We're ready for it, cash in-hand.

-Damon Palm
Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

too right! what he said!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #20
Tech Elite

id run it just for the sound lol
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP-buggyboy
I already race 4 strokes competitively, and very successfully on a local and regional level. Both the Monster Truck and Gas Truck were lots of work, and are one of a kind, hand built, proof of concept prototypes.

The number 1 question I get is "How much does it cost to put one in my truck/car?". Unfortunatly, I have to tell them the truth, that it's not a production item. Everyone loves the sound, and I'm sure if there were a cost and performance competitive drop-in 4 stroke engine made to fit most popular r/c car kits, the sales volume alone would get it into the rule books.

I'm fairly sure the demand is there. People love things that are different, as long as they perform just as well as or better than the current standard. The problem is not the rules, but rather the lack of a product worthy of re-writing the rules.

All it takes is a couple big name companies dropping some coin and committing to a product for it to get into the ROAR rulebooks. Look at the brushless situation for a good example of how that works. Even battery technology works like that. The battery companies don't wait for ROAR to start selling their new cells. They start selling them as soon as they can, then ROAR usually makes them legal later.

...So, come on O.S., YS, Saito, NovaRossi, Picco, etc.... What are you waiting for? Yes, you'll have to spend some coin to do a ground-up design instead of just hopping up an airplane engine. However, if even one company does it right, they'll give the R/C community something to get really excited about. We're ready for it, cash in-hand.

-Damon Palm
I got my money waiting
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

My local hobby shop has 3 instock, i think ill buy all 3 and see if i can get some retro kits made up fast for the r40 and rs4-3 cars, maby others but i only have these 2 1/10th scale cars..the rest are 1/8th
BB Mods's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP-buggyboy

-Damon Palm
HEHE... quoting myself...

Here is a good example of a product worthy of the rule-books:

4 stroke gas truck, built with off-the-shelf items (except the head and intake manifold). Notice all the carb adjustments are on the same side, all very easily accessable with the body on. Also, the exhaust exits the rear, keeping the truck clean. It runs VERY well, gets great runtime, and is something OS could have easily made years ago for this very kit: after all, they have done it with other Kyosho kits, and even partnered with Perry Pumps to produce a pumped heli engine. Done on a large scale, it could be cheap, not much more than a race 2 stroke installation, and they would SELL LIKE CRAZY.

I guess I would just like to pose this question: If 2 guys with day jobs can come up with this in their spare time, what is stopping the big guys? I think I hear crickets.
Attached Thumbnails
4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-4-stroke-gas-truck-001.jpg   4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-4-stroke-gas-truck-006.jpg   4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-4-stroke-gas-truck-007.jpg   4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-4-stroke-gas-truck-008.jpg   4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-4-stroke-gas-truck-009.jpg  

Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Absolutely a 4-stroke should be allowed IMO.....why not? If you want to run the 2-strokes then more power to ya....or not At least have the option. I like the complexity of the thumpers and they just look and sound too cool. All we need is a company to produce a 30K RPM motor w/ hardened cams, stiff springs capable of high revs while not allowing float. Heck, even at 25K with proper gearing shouldn't be a prob...i'm all in.
gmcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Default FPM FS26S-C Custom Head

I thought I should post some close up pictures of the head I have developed on this topic.

I am looking for feedback for I need to set a price if I decide to do a production run.

Nolan Farmer
FPM Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-dscn8097.jpg   4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-dscn8108.jpg   4 stroke engines for ROAR competition (please read!!)-dscn8116.jpg  
Nolan Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote