R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Future Fuel Injection Possibility?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/52256-future-fuel-injection-possibility.html)

jamiekulhanek 10-08-2004 05:42 AM

Future Fuel Injection Possibility??

Just wondering if anybody else has pondered this, OS has been making fuel injected aircraft engines for a few years now...

But not for cars?? Fuel injection virtually eliminates running hassles, like stalling, flame outs, and will give more power through the low end and midrange with no flat spots or spikes etc...

Striker 10-12-2004 09:32 PM

It's a good idea for sure, but keep in mind that the complexity level will rise dermaticly, and thus the cost.

Personaly, I'd like to see it happen, but with a four stroke engine, and have it water cooled. After that, I want an intercooler in front of my radiator, to cool the dense, charged air exiting my turbo. This is no joke. I would like to see this happon.

rossiRocket 10-13-2004 10:46 PM

Yea definetely on a full size car! But on a tiny 1/10 scale car? No way!!! I'd be surprised if they even develop a 4-stroke that's water cooled that can fit in one!

pink pac man 10-13-2004 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
how about these pics for modifications

pink pac man 10-13-2004 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

rossiRocket 10-13-2004 11:59 PM

wow! anymore pics and/or info on that twin turbo rc monster?! I can't believe it even has an intercooler! Are all those parts custom one-offs?

cdelong 10-14-2004 08:48 AM

Fuel Injection does (did) exist for RC car engine's. It was stopped due to patent rights from the company that licensed it.

http://www.pcrcproducts.com/news.html

Basically the unit monitors exhaust temperature and adjusts fuel flow from the injector pump to maintain a given temperature. It works great, and run times are increased due to higher efficiency.

I have one unit available that has been serviced and has a brand new injector pump. The computer module, leads and temperature sensor are all in perfect condition as well. Instructions included.

I will sell it for $175.

rushdude 11-10-2004 01:56 PM

Who would do all that to an hpi nitro rs4 2?

Electronic fuel injection would be better. It would be a fuel injection system that also regulates the amount of fuel entering the engine. There would be no need for tuning anymore. But I am dreaming.:lol:

Fuel injection is a great idea.

rangulo 11-10-2004 07:56 PM

I think it is a good idea but anyone running methonal knows that methonal has a tendency to absorb condensation and makes fuel injection for rc cars a hassel and lots more work than a small carb that is not so sensitive to moisture like electronic injectors. Maybe a mechanical fuel injector... Less costly...

This is much to much work for a car that weighs so little and cost so much.. What are race motors going to cost with a miniture fuel injectors--- example JP FX 12 $400--- future JP FX 12 injected $1500...

That would be out of control...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rs4lola 11-11-2004 01:25 PM

sorry but I strongly disagree on your cost assessment regarding rc fuel injection for cars. OS Engines already sells an electronic fuel injection system for their 2-stroke airplane engines while 2 to 3 times the size of an rc engine, could easily interface to an rc car.
The major stumbling block is injectors that can synchronize with 40k+ rpm motors!!! $1100 extra cost because methonal is more gummy to process. I don't think so. The major stumbling point is return on investment. Just as pointed out in a previous post, an electronic fuel regulator could easily be add to a carb with no need for low/mid/high speed needles. All thats needed is sensors for rpm, exhaust temp and throttle position. Sensors are cheap and microships are cheap. The rest is software. If we racers all demanded electronic fuel injection from the engine makers, I am sure we would have it in no time!!! just my 2 cents...

rushdude 11-11-2004 04:11 PM

If you wouldn't want the fuel injectors getting clogged, than while you are putting after-run oil in you engine you should just put some it the fuel injectors or something similar to prevent it from gumming up. Its not that hard.

rangulo 11-11-2004 09:30 PM

Dreaming is always good but what will you use to fire the sequence of the injector at 35k or 40k. Or is it going to be a continous spray bar that works only off of throttle input. Air flow meter where is it. What will manage the O2 sensor. An airplane engine requirement is different than a 1/8 scale car or touring car that has a constantly up and down reving motor. What if the temp changes and causes a lean situation because some car hit your pipe and the O2 sensor is not working. Are you going to slap a CPU to the car so it can manage the fuel curve and than make a connector so we the consumer can adjust the system with our laptops.

We can demand anything we want. But it will not happen because we are in a hobby that is some what affordable. Adding this type of technology only makes the racing very expensive and way too time consuming....

Motors are already a pain as it is!!!!!

rs4lola 11-12-2004 08:11 AM

Two companies are coming out next year with a DSS( digital spread spectrum) digital radios that allow two-way communication with your rc car. This technology is a 100 times more complicated than electronic fuel injection and the initial modules will be under $200!!! If their is no demand, engine makers will not produce. It as simple as that. The parts to make fuel injection a reality on an rc car are dirt cheap. Its the software
and the hiph rpm injector that would cost money. Full scale car injectors are well under $500 each. Evem starting with an electronic fuel regulator that acts like a variable needle would not be that expensive. All sensors required are readily available
Engine makers are not motivated because of lack of demand.
With no need for constant engine tuning, I am sure a hell of alot more people would buy an rc vehicle!!!

rushdude 11-12-2004 02:16 PM

Do you have a link?

jamiekulhanek 11-12-2004 06:59 PM

Originally posted by rangulo
Dreaming is always good but what will you use to fire the sequence of the injector at 35k or 40k. Or is it going to be a continous spray bar that works only off of throttle input. Air flow meter where is it. What will manage the O2 sensor. An airplane engine requirement is different than a 1/8 scale car or touring car that has a constantly up and down reving motor. What if the temp changes and causes a lean situation because some car hit your pipe and the O2 sensor is not working. Are you going to slap a CPU to the car so it can manage the fuel curve and than make a connector so we the consumer can adjust the system with our laptops.

We can demand anything we want. But it will not happen because we are in a hobby that is some what affordable. Adding this type of technology only makes the racing very expensive and way too time consuming....

Motors are already a pain as it is!!!!!

So you wouldn't notice if your pipe fell off in a race...:weird: