R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-23-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Switching Engines

Well after about a year of collecting dust I've picked up my rc car again (HPI RS4 2) and fixed what was broken on it... stupid curbs.

I got a 12R SC engine (hpi part #1623) to replace the stock 15FE engine on it. I'm running into a problem with the flywheel and the clutch bell. The shaft on the 12R SC seems to be longer then the stock 15FE so there is a gap between the flywheel and the clutch bell (2 speed). I bought the Flywhell (A801) and the Collet (A804) that hpi said to but I just can't get anything right to get rid of that space without adding like 5 washers (and i really hope that isn't the right way to do it lol).

any help would be greatly appriciated
Decer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not the most knowledgeable authority on this, but I did have to cut threaded shaft on my Fantom to fit my RS4-3. It seems like your having a similar problem. I used my Dremel and the cutting wheel. But I would make sure first. Maybe you can post a pic or check your LHS. Good luck and hope this helps.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

That thought had crossed my mind, I was just hoping there was something I missed somewhere on the way that would prevent that from happening, but at this point it looks to be my only option. I'll wait a bit and see if any others have more ideas before doing. Thank you
Old 09-23-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

Check and make sure that the threaded shaft is threaded all the way into the crank. The threaded portion is simply a threaded rod that threads into the end of the crankshaft. You shouldn't have any problems with it being too long.

Okay, just reread your post. You say there is a large gap between the clutchbell and the flywheel. Can you see the clutch shoes? Or does the bell cover the shoes. As long as the clutch shoes are completly inside the bell, you are okay. Also, does the pilot shaft press against the flywheel and does the flywheel lock down against the collet?

Did you install a washer over the pilot shaft before the spacer and the needle bearing? If you have a washer thats too large in diameter, it will keep the clutchbell from seating all the way down.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I did what HPI instructions say to do (to bad they never answer questions anymore, i find it impossible to get customer support through them now). Washer --> Collet --> Flywheel --> Clutch --> then the nut thingy for the 2 speed. maybe i gave the wrong items for the problem, the gap is between the flywheel and the shaft that screws onto it for the 2 speed, i can slide the flywheel around back and forth.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Maybe this will help. Now, according to hpi's faq this instruction guide is good for all engines pullstart or not.

This is what HPI shows for any engine

The problem i'm having (from the top left picture) is after i put the z699 washer on, the 86022 collet then the 86021 flywheel on is that the A805 screw for the trans (mine is a 2 speed) doesn't screw all the way up to the flywheel like shown in the upper right picture, the flywheel can move around on the shaft itself.

Now when I got the engine it had a nut, washer and i assume a spacer on the shaft... are any of these supposed to stay on the shaft? Picutre of Engine you should be able to see the 3 parts i'm talking about in that picture.

thank you for all your help so far, hopefully this will be better information (as you can probably tell i'm not the most knowlegable when it comes to what part is what lol)
Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Tech Addict

If the clutch nut is not tight to the flywheel than you will have to cut the shaft or it will never fit.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Tech Master

That nut should make contact with the flywheel. Are you tightening it down hard? Try using your glow plug wrench and really crank it down. It still sounds like the threaded rod isn't seating into the crankshaft all the way. See my first post.

Did you buy the HPI engine for the T-maxx? The T-Maxx has a different length shaft on it. You could always cut it down like Dreddlox posted.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

I will double check to make sure that its tightened all the way, i'm pretty sure it is tho. I'm a little hesitant to really crank it down tho... when I switch from single to 2 speed I twisted off that shaft and have to buy a new one lol. Will let you know how this goes (cars are at work so I dont have access to them right now). If it is tightened as far as it can go i think i'm just gona cut the shaft as Dreddlox suggested...

As for t-maxx, no.. my car is an hpi as i said in my original post

Thank you everyone for your help, it is very appriciated
Old 09-27-2004, 06:39 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Ok, I checked on making sure everything was tighened down, it was and I still had like 4 or 5 threads left on the shaft. I did end up cutting it and its all fitting fine now. Thank you to you guys for helping me out here Cant wait to get the time to fire this thing up and get through the breakin period.. tho I do worry about my boss wanting to play with it before that is done lol... damn guy is into these things more then I am (hell, he pays me to play with them)

In case I havn't said it enough, ty again!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Glad you got it going. I had to do it twice with my Fantom. First when I put in my HPI and agan when I put in my Yokomo. Now I'll have to replace the shaft cause it's too short to fit into anything else. Oh well.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #12
Tech Addict

just try and buy a engine that bolts staight in.
Thunder racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It is not uncommon for the length of the treaded shaft to vary.
Therefore on some occasions it is necessary to cut the shaft.

This shaft actually threads into the crank and can be removed and replaced as required.

Good luck with the break in and take your time,once broken in the RS4 will really move compared to the fe15
opposite lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by opposite lock
It is not uncommon for the length of the treaded shaft to vary.
Therefore on some occasions it is necessary to cut the shaft.

This shaft actually threads into the crank and can be removed and replaced as required.

Good luck with the break in and take your time,once broken in the RS4 will really move compared to the fe15
Now I see from one of his posts that he had replaced the threaded shaft when he installed the 2 speed. The new one was simply too long. I'm also glad he got things sorted out.