R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-19-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Nitro Tuning Cheat Sheet

Out of frustraton tuning my Nitros. I've made a cool cheat sheet I will use when I hit the track. It's in Word (read only format) and feel free to use it. You will have to unzip it. Let me know what I can add on or fix. Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ntiro cheat sheetv1.zip (7.9 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by revzalot; 09-19-2004 at 03:19 AM.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

whats the password for the zip file? not much chop without that lol
Old 09-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I'd rather keep it one piece but if you see errors or want some addtions please let me know to make it better. I think this is the most complete nitro turning cheat sheet. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Tech Regular

The fuel total oil % thing is wrong, should be fuels with less total oil % need leaner needles, fuels with higher total oil % need richer needle settings. The needle setting change has nothing to do with the actual oil in the fuel, it doesn't and shouldn't burn any, the more oil you have means the actual flammable fuel (methanol) is getting displaced by something that doesn't go boom! So the more total oil means the less methanol you have in the same given volume, so needs richer needle setting to get the same air/fuel mixture in the cylinder.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Wink

Thanks for your feedback! I'll look more into this oil percentage and make the necessary corrections.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #6

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oil %

Slobba, you are only half correct. The reason needle settings need to be changed for more/less oil content as because the more oil is in the fuel the higher the total fluid viscosity is, and the less oil is in the fuel the lower the total fluid viscosity.
So the lower oil content, the leaner the needle setting needs to be to pass the same amount of fuel it passes with a higher oil content.
Remember oil is MUCH thicker than methanol and nitromethane, thus the needle change when changing oil content.

My $.02

BK
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default compression

You said that plug range effects compression, I think thats wrong. Plug range effects timing of the engine hot more advanced cold retards the timing. The only way plug effects compression is if you use a short or long reach plug, usually in standard plug engines only.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: compression

Quote:
Originally posted by Slotmachine
You said that plug range effects compression, I think thats wrong. Plug range effects timing of the engine hot more advanced cold retards the timing. The only way plug effects compression is if you use a short or long reach plug, usually in standard plug engines only.
You are correct. I was vague on how plug effects compression. Thanks for catching that buddy!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Default Oil Debate

I've been thinking about the oil % debate and it's quite interesting. IMO, I would richen my engine if I use fuel with low oil content. Leaning the engine with this fuel would increase combustion temperatures but there would be less oil to properly lubricate the engine. Thus I would set a richer mixture with fuel with low oil content and vice versa.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
Tech Regular

mxwrench, never thought or read of viscosity effecting needles for oil %, good to know.

revzalot, Try this out....pick up 2 quarts of fuel from same brand that have different total oil %(Trinity Monster I think is 12% or maybe little more and their Platinum is 8% total), tune engine so runs right with the Monster 12%+ fuel, sounds and feels right and not by temp but you can temp it afterwards if want to just to see how hot it runs. Then toss some 8% in there, it will be running rich, retune it by your senses and not by temp, you'll find you will need to lean main needle and bottom needle some. With less total oil % in fuel you'll get more runtime, cooler running temps, and more power, engine life should be shorter but hard for me to run one p/s set on one oil then another set on different oil and get accurate guage of life since never running at same track or conditions, and your tuning window gets narrower or more sensative. Until I tried it out I thought the oil was a bigger deal than the fuel like you said in your last post or thought about it in the same way, just don't get caught up or stuck on running temps, they dont' mean anything and should only be used as a tool or aid if your engine is running bad and can't figure out why.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by factory racer; 09-24-2004 at 02:44 PM.
factory racer is offline   Reply With Quote