R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-01-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default RBconcept V12

I've Got a nice deal on a V12 430, waiting for it, will run it with sidewinder 30 percent, additional shim, and the rc logics turbo 2, suited to my mtx3 that came with the mt12. any comments on this engine, my lhs told me they have excellent performance for its price, 250 or less and go head to head with the mugen x12 which is non turbo but that costs 300. expect more than top end, performance and durability, like my mtx3, tough!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

They do have excellent performance for the price. For whatever reason, the non Rody version seems to lack on the top speed. Good luck with yours, maybe you will have better luck than what I have seen.

I love these engines for off-road.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

what are you talking about, I have the 410 and I geared it differently and as soon as I hit second gear I let off the gas, and I run on a big track.

It has plenty of top end, unless you geared it wrong there will be problems. I can stay will all the 1/10 scales on the straight and I'm still using stock spurs and stock shifting point. The only thing i changed was the pinions.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:33 AM   #4
Tech Master

I run a V12 too and I'd have to agree with Scott. I don't think that the top end range is much of an issue though. The motor is REALLY strong in the bottom and midrange. My feeling is that you get more usable power that way. Unless you run at a flowing high speed track, it not going to be a problem at all. And you could always gear up like Compaq posted. Think about it, on most tracks you are only at top speed for a second on the straight before you decelerate, but you use the midrange all the time on the infield.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

I run RB Rody X12 5-Port and still slower than compaqboy's on the straight. My gearing is right, but just not any faster...

come to think of it, 5 supposed to be faster than 3 on the straight, but it isn't!

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
what are you talking about, I have the 410 and I geared it differently and as soon as I hit second gear I let off the gas, and I run on a big track.

It has plenty of top end, unless you geared it wrong there will be problems. I can stay will all the 1/10 scales on the straight and I'm still using stock spurs and stock shifting point. The only thing i changed was the pinions.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

track will have a 200 feet straight, and two additional straights of 120 feet. and withing the boundaries of the straights kind of short straights with 180 degree curves. just to take advantage of every space on the track. guees that the engine should perform well, I expect more than top, response, top non a issue, iŽve got several gearings for the top of my mtx3. any comments on the setup of the centax when IŽll install this engine, running now the mt12.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

compaq:

Don't get upset because I said the I think the engine you use lacks a little on the top end. Remember that it is my opinion and observation only.

2nd: If you have to let off as soon as you hit second gear, how do know if the engine has good top end anyway. You never know what the top is if you are getting off the gas as soon as you hit 2nd.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Scott, everybody else that I know of shifts as soon as they get on the straight, I shift 10-15 feet before the straight ends and let go off the gas as soon as it shifts. I still keep up to everybody else, and even beat them. I don't even touch the top end and I can hang with everyone.

Eddie I have been told by lots of people that the RB v12 non turbo makes the same power as the RB X12 turbo, we should be neck to neck on the straight, but on the corners you will win because I don't know the track much.

I changed my shift point to earlier but haven't gotten to test it out yet, maybe i'll finally see WOT in second gear.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Scott, everybody else that I know of shifts as soon as they get on the straight, I shift 10-15 feet before the straight ends and let go off the gas as soon as it shifts. I still keep up to everybody else, and even beat them. I don't even touch the top end and I can hang with everyone.

Eddie I have been told by lots of people that the RB v12 non turbo makes the same power as the RB X12 turbo, we should be neck to neck on the straight, but on the corners you will win because I don't know the track much.

I changed my shift point to earlier but haven't gotten to test it out yet, maybe i'll finally see WOT in second gear.
I think you both are saying the same thing. Compaq has geared up to take advantage of all the power in the lower RPM range by gearing up. Thats why he can pull as hard as the other guys.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:

one thing that you need to aware of, at most track, straight only like 2 seconds of full throttle for the most part and the rest are all infield say if an experienced driver does a 16sec lap, and straight probably took the most 2 secs.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
one thing that you need to aware of, at most track, straight only like 2 seconds of full throttle for the most part and the rest are all infield say if an experienced driver does a 16sec lap, and straight probably took the most 2 secs.
It's not the straight I'm worried about, It's the corners.

Rapid, I actually geared up the tranny for the OS TR motor, but I got tired of waiting for it, so I bought the RB v12 and just geared it like I wanted to gear the OS TR r-spec
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
It's not the straight I'm worried about, It's the corners.

Rapid, I actually geared up the tranny for the OS TR motor, but I got tired of waiting for it, so I bought the RB v12 and just geared it like I wanted to gear the OS TR r-spec
i think it might benefit you more if you change your shift points later, use 1st gear in infield instead of shifting everywhere!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
i think it might benefit you more if you change your shift points later, use 1st gear in infield instead of shifting everywhere!
I only changed the shift poin half a turn. So right now it's 3.5 turns out. Due to my gearing I don't know where it will shift so if it's too much hassle I'll just put it to stock settings.

95% of the track I use 1st gear, I only shift at the end of the straight into second and let off the gas. So basically the whole time i'm in 1st gear.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
I only changed the shift poin half a turn. So right now it's 3.5 turns out. Due to my gearing I don't know where it will shift so if it's too much hassle I'll just put it to stock settings.

95% of the track I use 1st gear, I only shift at the end of the straight into second and let off the gas. So basically the whole time i'm in 1st gear.
something is not right here! you mentioned your car would shift before the straight away, and how can you be in 1st gear infield??? especailly at crystal park!

well at least for my car, i had to make the shift point to 2nd like 10 feet after I enter the straight away in order to keep 1st in infield!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
something is not right here! you mentioned your car would shift before the straight away, and how can you be in 1st gear infield??? especailly at crystal park!

well at least for my car, i had to make the shift point to 2nd like 10 feet after I enter the straight away in order to keep 1st in infield!
my car always shifted late. I never mentioned it shifted before the straight. I mentioned that if i go WOT on the corner right before the straight it overpowers the car and it spins out, but doesn't shift.

your car is a mtx3 and mine is RR, big difference. When I changed the gearing on the car i kept the stock spurs, I was suppose to change the spurs too, but I just changed the pinions so my car is geared high. I run 18/22 pinion and 48/44 spurs. You run 50 something for spurs, I think one of them is 52, big big diffrence.