R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic
 
Data's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NCC-1701E, the Enterprise
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
your car is a mtx3 and mine is RR, big difference. When I changed the gearing on the car i kept the stock spurs, I was suppose to change the spurs too, but I just changed the pinions so my car is geared high. I run 18/22 pinion and 48/44 spurs. You run 50 something for spurs, I think one of them is 52, big big diffrence.
if you look at the final drive ratio, there is not much difference. your is 5.06, ah10's probably around 4.9. but anyways, glad your car can hang with other cars using 1st gear only at the end (well, almost) of a rather long straight away. if that is really the case, maybe you can just remove the 2nd speed completely to save some weight, since you don't really need it.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:54 AM   #17
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Data
if you look at the final drive ratio, there is not much difference. your is 5.06, ah10's probably around 4.9. but anyways, glad your car can hang with other cars using 1st gear only at the end (well, almost) of a rather long straight away. if that is really the case, maybe you can just remove the 2nd speed completely to save some weight, since you don't really need it.
I am smarter than that. You see if I removed the 2nd gear then when it gets to the end of the straight and doesn't shift it will just burn my motor out. Anthony got a 8 spur difference between his spurs, I only have 4, plus he uses bigger gears.

I said my car can hang with other cars on the straight, but not the corners. I have even been told by some guys at the track that they shift as soon as the straight begins, I don't. I changed my servos and my shift point, so now I should be doing the same thing.

I don't want to make anyone look bad or anything, but when I say something that works weird and people start doubting me and then there are arguments, and people start saying I'm wrong or something, it looks bad.

The guy with the black Mercedes didn't believe me that my engine ran so low on temp, so he took his temp gauge and we went out on the track, and I went WOT on every place I could and even crashed a couple of times because I wanted to go WOT as much as possible. The temp never got over 170F. Marvin said the same thing that i was bullshitting, he went with me to the track, got his temp gauge and it ran low temps too. Now that the temperature of the engine arguments are over, now people doubting me about the transmission. Some things sometimes work weird, just because I'm a newb at the track doesn't mean I exxajarate a lot.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic
 
Data's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NCC-1701E, the Enterprise
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
Some things sometimes work weird, just because I'm a newb at the track doesn't mean I exxajarate a lot.
it is ok to exaggerate a bit, but you have got problems when you start to belief it too.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #19
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

that thing with the 1/8 scale wasn't exagurating. I was indeed dead even with a 1/8 scale on the straight, It doesn't matter if the 1/8 scale driver wasn't going WOT or his car was broken or he let me pass. The statement is true anyway you cut it. Now if you say that your car beat a SAM missle than that's exagarating.

I know 1/8 scales are faster, and corner better.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #20
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,807
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
my car always shifted late. I never mentioned it shifted before the straight. I mentioned that if i go WOT on the corner right before the straight it overpowers the car and it spins out, but doesn't shift.

your car is a mtx3 and mine is RR, big difference. When I changed the gearing on the car i kept the stock spurs, I was suppose to change the spurs too, but I just changed the pinions so my car is geared high. I run 18/22 pinion and 48/44 spurs. You run 50 something for spurs, I think one of them is 52, big big diffrence.
Well, actually if you wan't to keep almost the same gear ratio you are using succesfully with late shifting (almost first gear everywhere), here is my suggestion, which means you can really make use of the two speeds, and gain more inside power.

Right now you have a 6.75 to 1 ratio in first speed and a 5.05 to 1 gera ratio in second speed. That gives you a good speed on the main straight (almost fully in first gear) and you shiftb late for a short time to avoid engine overreving, but then you suffer on the inside.

Put a 17/49 gear set on first speed to give you a total of 7.28 to 1 gear ratio.
Put a 21/45 gear set on second speed to give you a total of 5.41 to 1 gear ratio
The average gear ratio between the two would be 6.75 to 1, which is very similar to your 6.75 to 1 you are using.

This way you'll gain some more top speed and gain a LOT more low end for the inside.

Now you can set your shifting point much earlier and make full potential use of the two speed, with more low end and top end.

Trust me, you'll thank me later. I work a lot with Kyoshos and Mugens at my track.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:12 AM   #21
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,807
Default

Correction to my post, it should read like this:

The average gear ratio between the two would be 6.35 to 1, which is very similar to your 6.75 to 1 you are using.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic
 
Data's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NCC-1701E, the Enterprise
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
It doesn't matter if the 1/8 scale driver wasn't going WOT or his car was broken or he let me pass. The statement is true anyway you cut it.
fine, now that i know how you cut it. so what was the purpose of that statement ?


Quote:
Now if you say that your car beat a SAM missle than that's exagarating.
not really, as long as the SAM is not moving (and i don't care why it is not moving), my car will always beat it and by your definition, i am not exaggerating.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #23
Tech Master
 
Ah10's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Pasadena/Southern California
Posts: 1,370
Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888

your car is a mtx3 and mine is RR, big difference. When I changed the gearing on the car i kept the stock spurs, I was suppose to change the spurs too, but I just changed the pinions so my car is geared high. I run 18/22 pinion and 48/44 spurs. You run 50 something for spurs, I think one of them is 52, big big diffrence.
You missed something here! I am running 0.8 module
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
Ah10's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Pasadena/Southern California
Posts: 1,370
Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
that thing with the 1/8 scale wasn't exagurating. I was indeed dead even with a 1/8 scale on the straight, It doesn't matter if the 1/8 scale driver wasn't going WOT or his car was broken or he let me pass. The statement is true anyway you cut it.
lol, so from your theory, a Nissan Sentra can outrun a 360 Modena on straight, twisty road and such right?
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #25
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
lol, so from your theory, a Nissan Sentra can outrun a 360 Modena on straight, twisty road and such right?
anything is possible with money.

I have even seen Jettas that beat a viper like nothing. If you want, you can come to my house and I'll show you the video, or e-mail it to you.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:59 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Data





not really, as long as the SAM is not moving (and i don't care why it is not moving), my car will always beat it and by your definition, i am not exaggerating.
yeah, i guess you're right, an rc would most likely beat an SAM missle do to it's size, it's hard to hit a small target that goes 50+mph. Even if the SAM is chasing the rc car.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #27
Tech Master
 
Ah10's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Pasadena/Southern California
Posts: 1,370
Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
anything is possible with money.

I have even seen Jettas that beat a viper like nothing. If you want, you can come to my house and I'll show you the video, or e-mail it to you.
That's allright, I dont like rice cooker to begin with!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:17 PM   #28
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Well, actually if you wan't to keep almost the same gear ratio you are using succesfully with late shifting (almost first gear everywhere), here is my suggestion, which means you can really make use of the two speeds, and gain more inside power.

Right now you have a 6.75 to 1 ratio in first speed and a 5.05 to 1 gera ratio in second speed. That gives you a good speed on the main straight (almost fully in first gear) and you shiftb late for a short time to avoid engine overreving, but then you suffer on the inside.

Put a 17/49 gear set on first speed to give you a total of 7.28 to 1 gear ratio.
Put a 21/45 gear set on second speed to give you a total of 5.41 to 1 gear ratio
The average gear ratio between the two would be 6.75 to 1, which is very similar to your 6.75 to 1 you are using.

This way you'll gain some more top speed and gain a LOT more low end for the inside.

Now you can set your shifting point much earlier and make full potential use of the two speed, with more low end and top end.

Trust me, you'll thank me later. I work a lot with Kyoshos and Mugens at my track.

AFM
HUH

here are my findings:

A:
1st gear 49/17 7.292
2nd gear 45/21 5.421

top speed 45.369mph

B:
1st gear 48/18 6.747
2nd gear 44/22 5.060

top speed 48.609mph

I don't know where you got your numbers, but due to my calculations if I go with the 45/21 gearing combo I will get more accelaration but I will lose 3mph in the top end.

Also i factored in the foams, which are 60mm in diameter, if i go with 65mm foams then my gearing will give me the top speed of 52mph.

you see, the bigger the pinion and the smaller the spur the faster you go. You can't have a pinion too big because it will damage the motor. If you go with 4 stroke motor and gear the pinion really high and the spur really small you'll be as fast as the 2 stroke guys or even faster. I can see a RRR with a 4 stroke whooping on everybody at the track in the future, because 4 strokes got the torque.

Last edited by compaq888; 09-03-2004 at 03:34 PM.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:18 PM   #29
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
That's allright, I dont like rice cooker to begin with!
huh?
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #30
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

WHAT A MESS!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:30 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net