R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default .12 - .21 onroad box air cleaner ???

g'day alll ... got a lil project on the go and im just wondering where on line you guys buy thos sealed air cleaners on your onroad cars .. plastic one's with the 2 holes in them .. the only place i kind find that has them is AMAIN .. a rb one and a max power one ... any other place's . rb ones a lil price'y.

basicly my project is .. im building a 1/4 scale nitro go-kart .. basicly converting the turnigy brushless 1/4 kart in to a race nitro kart. i want a air cleaner that looks like a go-kart air box soo that why im asking .gunna be a nice lil project . im gunna use the upgrade chain sprocket drive off the kyosho birel kart .il start a build tread in the onroad nitro section when i start.

if you could help about the filter it would really be great cheers. .

c/F SC10 -- C/f MS MBX"carbon-R" -- c/f nitro-kart
sly6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Well, the makers of the INS box ur talking about are:
Novarossi
Xceed
RB
Mugen
Picco
Max Power

Xceed is a see-through one and is very light, but all of them will usually be around the $30 mark.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Tech Regular

cool i only shop online with amain so i didnt no who els had em . amain have the see through on by max power but i dont want a seethrough one cos karts dont have them lol ... so yeah about $30 ya reckon .. cool.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

well now i no there called INS banged that into ebay and they all came up ... thanks for ya help dude ...

Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check rcmushroom .......thats probably were most of the ebay sellers get them from
NitoriousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Tech Regular

cheers bro ya right they have a few .. might get the black xceed ins one .. its only $14 .. wicked ... even tho in the kart the motor will be east/west and the carb will be behind the seat i wanna run this INS box next to the drivers leg like a 1/1 race kart where he can pat it .. il get sum silcon hose to join it .

Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How about this? it should be small enough for Go Karts

Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Tech Regular

yeah coool the RB one looks the closest for a scale look im going for but i wanna do it on the cheap ....

theres a few pics of what im looking for if ya get my drift to make it easyer.

.12 - .21 onroad  box air cleaner ???-image0.jpg
.12 - .21 onroad  box air cleaner ???-432cefbcdc58982a5543840c5a26_grande.jpg

.12 - .21 onroad  box air cleaner ???-lewis-hamilton-karting-1.jpg

thats schu'y and lewis ham by the way

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Back in my go kart days, it was just a simple foam filter that looked just like the foam filters we use inside the INS box.

While it doesn't look like the ones in your pics, I think the coolest looking airfilter I've seen on an RC car was some type of automotive fuel filter that a guy modified to use. And no, I'm not talking about the old RC10GT filter or a K&N filter. Wish I could remember what it was.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Back in my go kart days, it was just a simple foam filter that looked just like the foam filters we use inside the INS box.

While it doesn't look like the ones in your pics, I think the coolest looking airfilter I've seen on an RC car was some type of automotive fuel filter that a guy modified to use. And no, I'm not talking about the old RC10GT filter or a K&N filter. Wish I could remember what it was.
in my dads days and well still today cos his big into historic karting the 70's and 80s karts didnt even run a filter at all .. they just had a BIG billet SLIDE carb hanging off the engine and thats it ... trick is just dont crash into dirt lol and if u knew you were gunna quickly put ya hand over the carb lol ... iv driven all my dads 80's karts and they are soo wicked .. just light weight tons of power and with no filter sooo fricken loud .. just awsome...

thats a pic of my bro and I in my dads 2 1989 restored karts ... see the gold carb no filter lol .. good times .. im in 2nd in the pics my bros ahead.

.12 - .21 onroad  box air cleaner ???-img_9728.jpg

Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly6t View Post
in my dads days and well still today cos his big into historic karting the 70's and 80s karts didnt even run a filter at all .. they just had a BIG billet SLIDE carb hanging off the engine and thats it ... trick is just dont crash into dirt lol and if u knew you were gunna quickly put ya hand over the carb lol ... iv driven all my dads 80's karts and they are soo wicked .. just light weight tons of power and with no filter sooo fricken loud .. just awsome...
I raced in the early 80's but over half my races were dirt oval so filters were a must

I saw a few people go without at the asphalt races but we never did.

Love the pic. Brings back memories. What motor is that? It's been so long I can't remember what they all looked like.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
I raced in the early 80's but over half my races were dirt oval so filters were a must

I saw a few people go without at the asphalt races but we never did.
yeah good times ay .... people just dont get that karts in the 80's were faster than karts of today because plain and simple WEIGHT ... the karts me and my bro are in are only 2/3 the weight of todays .. with the same power give or take 1hp ... they were faster but didnt not handle as well soo yes todays karts would do a way qwicker lap time .. . way to much plastic on todays karts .. just meat and patatoes back then lol

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Love the pic. Brings back memories. What motor is that? It's been so long I can't remember what they all looked like.
ROTAX 1989
100cc ROTARY VALVE

with a big billet slide on it ...

i had a DAP 100CC rotary on my kart in the background.. but it just did not have the top end of the rotax the thigs a weapon. .

call me a pussy lol but rotary valve engines scare me hahahaha i like having all my fingers on my right hand thank u :P il stick with the safe reed valve i can tune all day

Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Tech Lord

I thought so but didn't trust my memory. Rotax was a BEAST.

Started out running heavily modded Yamaha KT100's in piston port classes. That thing would snap my head back like a dragster. I couldn't imagine anything better than that until I got a Rotax
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
Tech Regular

yeah its a weapon ..

im very lucky in a sence one of my dads bussines's is a kart race spare parts shop and he builds and collects engines from all karts years.. his got a dyno the whole nine yards and has about 50+ engines sitting on the shelf that i can grab, bang on my kart and take out for a few laps .. about 30 he has put new pistons and rods in, so there like brand new from like 70's to 00's ..... but i have a big habbit lol of blowing them up when i test them, soo he has stoped giving me the RARE ones to use like 135cc long stroke engines and 65 parrilla's cos he cant get parts for them .. its cos im still young and like the thing lean and sceaming down the straight i just leave it a lil to long and it locks up hahahah oh well dad will rebuild it .... poor guy