R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 12-25-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to g-wan Send a message via Yahoo to g-wan
Default rally and on road engine different

hi,may i know is there any different on both of the title above?as im ordering 1 of the kangaroo engine,but coming is kangaroo rally..so wish can any one here can explain the diff
xray t3 2012 / tekin rs pro / reedy / savox
km racing / sworkz / xray / savox / sanwa / os speed / sweep / ulti / blitz
g-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

I can not tell from experience but I can imagine a Rallygame engine is something in between of an offroad and an onroad. More rpm than an offroad but still more torque than an onroad.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to g-wan Send a message via Yahoo to g-wan

hope those engine same with the on road engine as my friend ever try toro nero on his 1/8 on small tight track,but is it the same performance or different on off road and on road engine?some say off road engine can be use to on road,but some say the crank shaft/ conrod will broke due to stress once on the straight..
xray t3 2012 / tekin rs pro / reedy / savox
km racing / sworkz / xray / savox / sanwa / os speed / sweep / ulti / blitz
g-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-wan View Post
hope those engine same with the on road engine as my friend ever try toro nero on his 1/8 on small tight track,but is it the same performance or different on off road and on road engine?some say off road engine can be use to on road,but some say the crank shaft/ conrod will broke due to stress once on the straight..
That could be because of over-revving the engine.

Offroad engines produce less RPMs, say up to 35,000.
Onroad engines can make past 50,000 under no load, but when in a car the usually make 40-45,000 RPM.

Offroad have more torque whereas onroad has more RPM and I think a higher Peak HP, as well as a more broader power curve.

I would say that you could use an offroad engine for on-road, but I wouldn't because they aren't made for that kind of use, and because you would have to gear it up higher so the engine doesn't top out and over rev.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-wan View Post
Nah, they wont break, they'll just be slow. Say that toro nero your friend is running, it has the same rod that a flash tuned has, it is balanced and the materials are top notch as the flash, its just timed for a different purpose. The engine will have less HP, less torque, the torque will be spread wider across the performance curve with less spikes and a considerable amount of the torque will be attainable lower in the rpm range. All this because that's the best way to go fast in a comparatively slippery, tight, off road track full of hairpins and off the curve jumps

Unless you lean the mixture looking for power that is not there the engine will not break. if you go to lean you take away from the needed lubrication. The forces of an engine at 30 ~ 35k rpm are WAY less than the forces of an engine at 40 ~ 45k rpm. These forces are exponential.
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote