Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
12 INS Box, what are some options? >

12 INS Box, what are some options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 INS Box, what are some options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 AM
abi
Tech Adept

Default 12 INS Box, what are some options?

Hi all,

I'm looking for options for INS Box's, which is the most popular, some weights and highest flow.

I see OS, RB, Exceed and Nova make some, any others?

The Exceed and OS versions seem to weigh 17-19 grams, looking for something compact, light and least restrictive.

To suit 15mm carb

Cheers.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

I would only use an INS box if I was racing the car with a club or on a track or whatever, otherwise if it was just a basher, then it would just be a waste.
It doesn't really matter who you go with, the weight is the least of your problems, but they all should have relatively the same maximum airflow through the inlets. As long as all of the holes put together have a collective size that is greater than the carb, it makes little performance issues.
I have a Nova one, but some others have the Mugen and Exceed ones. It doesn't matter IMO.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abi
Hi all,

I'm looking for options for INS Box's, which is the most popular, some weights and highest flow.

I see OS, RB, Exceed and Nova make some, any others?

The Exceed and OS versions seem to weigh 17-19 grams, looking for something compact, light and least restrictive.

To suit 15mm carb

Cheers.
go with the exceed in the clear version.they are lighter and have cheaper filters.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Tech Adept

I have an exceed one and i found you can remove the baffle plate, you cant do that with the nova and rb ones as the lid attaches to the baffle
Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
abi
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, not a basher, club racing requirements for 2011 specify an INS box be fitted.

One question, Will the Exceed suit a 15mm carb?

Cheers
Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Xceed will fit both the .12 and .21 carburetor with the 15mm outside diameter intake body.

Clear = http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...prod=XCE103008

Black = http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...od=XCEED103009

Old 12-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by abi
Thanks guys, not a basher, club racing requirements for 2011 specify an INS box be fitted.

One question, Will the Exceed suit a 15mm carb?

Cheers
Which club in NSW require you to run INS box?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitoriousRC
I have an exceed one and i found you can remove the baffle plate, you cant do that with the nova and rb ones as the lid attaches to the baffle
The "baffle" you're talking about, is the lid with all the little holes in it?
I have the Nova one, and I can separate the outer lid, the flatter one with all the little holes in it and that leaves you with access to the filter - 3 pieces all together.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM
abi
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jca2000au
Which club in NSW require you to run INS box?
This is for all 'Pro Tourer' racing within Australia I believe, also 31mm rear tyres are allowed and rear wing placement is now from the bumper face. I'm with PDNR.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
The "baffle" you're talking about, is the lid with all the little holes in it?
I have the Nova one, and I can separate the outer lid, the flatter one with all the little holes in it and that leaves you with access to the filter - 3 pieces all together.
Yep sounds like my mates Nova one, but you cant reattach the li without the baffle plate as it needs to be there for the centre screw to hold the top on~

I race in Canberra and we are required to now have the INS boxes after some complaints from the Jehova Church next to us and we race on Sundays~

The orgainizers said they know it might not make much difference but at least we would be doing all we could to restrict the noise.
It's hard to tell how much quieter they are, some say it seems to make the noise not travel as far and ringing off the walls.

When i first started i used a Nova Mega pipe and it was so quiet i couldnt hear it among all the other cars so i bored out the stinger and it made it a LOT louder!
Now i have a Novarossi 2630 Pipe and header and in its stock form it's just as loud.

I like the swarm of bees in a tin can racket a good nitro race can produce on our short track.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitoriousRC
Yep sounds like my mates Nova one, but you cant reattach the li without the baffle plate as it needs to be there for the centre screw to hold the top on~

I race in Canberra and we are required to now have the INS boxes after some complaints from the Jehova Church next to us and we race on Sundays~

The orgainizers said they know it might not make much difference but at least we would be doing all we could to restrict the noise.
It's hard to tell how much quieter they are, some say it seems to make the noise not travel as far and ringing off the walls.

When i first started i used a Nova Mega pipe and it was so quiet i couldnt hear it among all the other cars so i bored out the stinger and it made it a LOT louder!
Now i have a Novarossi 2630 Pipe and header and in its stock form it's just as loud.

I like the swarm of bees in a tin can racket a good nitro race can produce on our short track.
Hahaha, Jehova's witnesses!
Wanna know why they don't celebrate Halloween AT ALL?

Because they don't like random strangers knocking on their doors asking questions!!!!!!

Yes, I also noticed I couldn't hear my car compared to others when I started using an INS box, but it sounded as loud as it was before having it when it was in front of me!
Once I couldn't hear it, it was a little trickier to "feel" the speed going around a corner, and I would sometimes come in too hot, or exit a little hotter than I would normally. *serious look on the stands, trying to hear my own .12 buzz round a corner*